GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

Wow this is obviously aimed at T2. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/from-the-backbench-tax-those-who-profited-big-from-covid-19-develop-vaccines-in

Ms Foo noted that Argentina imposed a one-time levy on millionaires in December, and that an independent Wealth Tax Commission in Britain has recently proposed a similar policy in a report.

She said: "When you consider that selected entities or individuals may have enjoyed outsized windfalls because of Covid-19, it may not be unreasonable to expect that they do more for the common good."

Ms Foo asked if the Government was considering a wealth tax as a one-off response to the pandemic.

↡ Advertisement

4 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Wow this is obviously aimed at T2. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/from-the-backbench-tax-those-who-profited-big-from-covid-19-develop-vaccines-in

Ms Foo noted that Argentina imposed a one-time levy on millionaires in December, and that an independent Wealth Tax Commission in Britain has recently proposed a similar policy in a report.

She said: "When you consider that selected entities or individuals may have enjoyed outsized windfalls because of Covid-19, it may not be unreasonable to expect that they do more for the common good."

Ms Foo asked if the Government was considering a wealth tax as a one-off response to the pandemic.

Aiyah shouldn't be sour grape lah. Own celery cut, see others make millions.....

Maybe more will suppork if during good times we also impose extra tax on politician celery and bonus. 

• Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/budget-debate-allow-healthy-sporean-women-under-40-to-freeze-their-eggs-here-says-mp

So interesting nowadays parliament debate.

"It is time to rethink Singapore's policy on social egg freezing, and put in place laws and a proper framework for healthy women to store their eggs till they are ready for pregnancy later, Ms Cheng Li Hui (Tampines GRC) told Parliament on Thursday (Feb 25)."🤔

14 minutes ago, Kopites said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/budget-debate-allow-healthy-sporean-women-under-40-to-freeze-their-eggs-here-says-mp

"It is time to rethink Singapore's policy on social egg freezing, and put in place laws and a proper framework for healthy women to store their eggs till they are ready for pregnancy later, Ms Cheng Li Hui (Tampines GRC) told Parliament on Thursday (Feb 25)."🤔

蛋白😂

6 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

蛋白😂

See the impact when parliamentary debate go live! We get to see the good, bad and worse all crawling out!

Wealthy tax? Isn't we have been trying very to woo wealthy foreigner to plant root in singapore. Hahaha

My old gif!😄

LgKRoYy.gif

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

Should've been done long ago.. its a personal choice. 

But unfortunately... this is one of those cases where the unspoken "religious conviction" of some will be used to suppress tbe rights of others. 

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Yet another case of trying so soooooo hard to justify existence. 

20210226_075208.jpg

I want to someone to interview the president to see if she know how the reserves are being spent...

Or to make it even simpler for her, does she even know how much of the reserves is taken out...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

9 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Peasant like me consider that selected entities or individuals who may have enjoyed outsized windfalls ( based on my peasant opinion ) because of being with the most highly paid government in the world, it may not be unreasonable to expect that they do more for the common good of the citizen; and by being able to come up with better ideas / solution instead of always copying  referring to other countries ideas. 

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Is CDC supposed to be partisan or non-partisan?

If non-partisan, why are all the mayors pap members? And why is there no representation from the civic group or even proportional membership from WP for a non-partisan body?

If partisan, why is that auntie telling off Pritam for politicising this mayor salary issue? 

Lastly, if as what that auntie said about mayor being a tough job, why is it a part-time gig?

Exactly, the fact that 4 out of 5 mayors is part timers is something that she need to explain... which she does not except that her CDC is the biggest...

To me it is just about cutting costs and the opposition does raise a pretty valid point, especially with the huge spending done recently. Why not just fix it?

• Praise 3

9 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Exactly, the fact that 4 out of 5 mayors is part timers is something that she need to explain... which she does not except that her CDC is the biggest...

To me it is just about cutting costs and the opposition does raise a pretty valid point, especially with the huge spending done recently. Why not just fix it?

I havent receive my voucher yet. So my area cdc failed! 😄

To me, the opposition is getting more balanced in their views. They do agree with many of what the government is doing. PAP, on the other hand, seems to oppose whatever the opposition say which is really wrong. 

PAP needs to admit when the opposition is right and not try to defend something that is indefensible. 

The AHTC appeal is going a very different route. It is weird that Davinder Singh is no longer on the prosecution. Seems like WP is going to get acquitted?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ahtc-trial-workers-party-appeal-lawsuit-pritam-sylvia-low-14271574

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Should've been done long ago.. its a personal choice. 

But unfortunately... this is one of those cases where the unspoken "religious conviction" of some will be used to suppress tbe rights of others. 

There is a distinction between frozen egg on medical ground and frozen egg on social cause.

↡ Advertisement