GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Maxus-MIFA9

7 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

She does a lot of things for special needs people because she herself has a special needs kid. 

How about other areas? What has she done as mayor?

She should have stuck to her area of expertise....

Should set up a non political post for her as a form of recognition ..

Politics is not her forte.. She shouldn’t have entered into this arena ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

5 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

I think people are confused. 

Nobody was attacking Denise for her contributions, but the issue raised was about over compensation for a role which might be redundant. The counter argument can also be that its justifiable she continue with her good work as a MP with an annual allowance of $192k, which already isn't shabby at the first place. 

High pay helps prevent corruption and to attract talent? I agree it has to be high enough, but not to the extend of being obscene. 

To add, post Covid conditions need to be reviewed especially the obnoxious n sibei high salaries that our beloved politicians are drawing at the moment..

All sectors are reviewing their salary structures and they should do the same too..

With our reserves being used repeatedly in these trying times, they should lead by example as servants of the people.

If they think they are underpaid, it’s abt time to try FTs as politicians.. I’m open to that as long they champion local rights ...

• Praise 2

(edited)
9 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Don't understand the logic, so anyone who contributed substantially to society should be given a political appointment with a fat compensation package?  Then we need to create a lot of roles and positions. Not saying Denise is not worth the money but I think Pritam asked a legitimate question and it needs to be answered.  

i am ok with high pay

but do tiny red dot need 90 MP and 5 Mayors [confused]  and how many ministers and PS?

on the contrary, EVERY single company including MNC in sinkieland talk about downsizing, rightsizing and streamlining to cut headcount ... [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Most of the minister and mayor seems to me like Chairman of the board rather than CEO. No need handle day to day decision or implement actual program. Just occasionally pop head in and ok big decision.

So can be part time. Question is why we the shareholder think they should be paid obscene salary. Board chairmen in pte coy can pay themselves what they like since they are also the owner of the company. These guys own Singapore Inc issit

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

7 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Most of the minister and mayor seems to me like Chairman of the board rather than CEO. No need handle day to day decision or implement actual program. Just occasionally pop head in and ok big decision.

So can be part time. Question is why we the shareholder think they should be paid obscene salary. Board chairmen in pte coy can pay themselves what they like since they are also the owner of the company. These guys own Singapore Inc issit

Answer: Social networking. If you ever attend those tea session you would know how one make their formal introductory...so so...assisting...so... so👏

(edited)
2 hours ago, Freeder said:

To add, post Covid conditions need to be reviewed especially the obnoxious n sibei high salaries that our beloved politicians are drawing at the moment..

All sectors are reviewing their salary structures and they should do the same too..

With our reserves being used repeatedly in these trying times, they should lead by example as servants of the people.

If they think they are underpaid, it’s abt time to try FTs as politicians.. I’m open to that as long they champion local rights ...

The same could be argued for the role of the Leader of Opposition, depending on how one wants to justify things.But at the very least, the role of the LOO wasn't thought up by the WP, it was part of the Westminster parliamentary system.

I couldn't say the same for many of the roles which the PAP had intentionally created though, ministerial or not. Case in point, our very unique GRC system which directly resulted in 90 over MPs for such a small country. We could half the number of MPs, convert all back to SMCs and things will still be moving, honestly. 

Racial representation, the premise behind the idea of a GRC, is largely a moot point nowadays because we already had a president who was an Indian argued as a Malay, and we're being forced down our throats that we aren't ready for a non Chinese prime minister. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 6:11 PM, Lethalstrike said:

Be ready to wear white, sell your soul and have your wish fulfilled! 

hahahh....no wonder I cannot get the job! not a yes man!!! [laugh]

9 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

The same could be argued for the role of the Leader of Opposition, depending on how one wants to justify things.

But at the very least, the role of the LOO wasn't thought up by the WP, it was part of the Westminster parliamentary system. I couldn't say the same for many of the roles which the PAP had intentionally created though, ministerial or not. 

Under Westminster Parliamentary System, there is a shadow cabinet lead by Opposition Leader.

What Pritam suggested on Independent Parliamentary Budget Office is supposed to fill the void of shadow FM. Unfortunately there is not enough Oppo MP to form shadow govt.

• Praise 3

Supercharged
26 minutes ago, yishunite said:

that's why she could not answer PS - blabbing away except answering the damn question....ask for coke got milk!! [laugh]

• Haha! 4

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I strongly support JLB JBL bootlicktician high pay cheque structure if I'm the beneficiary and not contributor 😁

JBL ...speaker? 

Making all those boom boom noise?

• Haha! 3

42 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

i am ok with high pay

This pay thingy is very subjective because most of the pap candidates were previously earning below ministerial pay level (I'm looking at you, generals and civil servants) - this politics path is machiam like a pay increment for them. The question is, are they worth this pay if they were to find jobs outside politics, and are they able to add value to the country that commensurate with their pay level?

We always benchmark pay - any competent HR will tell you benchmarking salary is the best way to explain a salary structure to the Board of Directors / shareholders. In pap's case, their salary is off the chart when we compare them to any other government and their justification to prevent corruption doesn't fly with me. Corruption happens in various forms and especially prevalent in a system with a lack of checks and controls.

• Praise 3

1 minute ago, Weez911 said:

This pay thingy is very subjective because most of the pap candidates were previously earning below ministerial pay level (I'm looking at you, generals and civil servants) - this politics path is machiam like a pay increment for them. The question is, are they worth this pay if they were to find jobs outside politics, and are they able to add value to the country that commensurate with their pay level?

We always benchmark pay - any competent HR will tell you benchmarking salary is the best way to explain a salary structure to the Board of Directors / shareholders. In pap's case, their salary is off the chart when we compare them to any other government and their justification to prevent corruption doesn't fly with me. Corruption happens in various forms and especially prevalent in a system with a lack of checks and controls.

When Heng Swee Keat joins politic, his pay is lower than his days in civil servants 

(edited)
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Under Westminster Parliamentary System, there is a shadow cabinet lead by Opposition Leader.

What Pritam suggested on Independent Parliamentary Budget Office is supposed to fill the void of shadow FM. Unfortunately there is not enough Oppo MP to form shadow govt.

PAP probably thinking that may make our "elected" president even more redundant.

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Playtime said:

PAP probably thinking that may make our "elected" president even more redundant.

UK doesn't have a president. So who thought up this president thingy ?

USA have a president, but no prime minister.

Only Sg too rich to have both.

↡ Advertisement