Article: What Singapore's Luxury Car Market Reveals About Income Inequality

dudez7

What Singapore's Luxury Car Market Reveals About Income Inequality.

There are more than 500 Porches and 500 Ferraris in Spore.

There are less than 100 Peroduas.

:grin:

In most countries the curve is 90% economy cars and 10% super cars.

Here its like 90% luxury cars and 10% economy cars.

I think we have more Mercs and BMs per mile of road than anywhere else in the world.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

So my chats with those in the know were right. The big ticket cars were moving the most during cb. Many hidden dragons around.

Like everyone else, rich people here got bored during the CB - since they can't leave the country, they probably bought cars to maintain a sense of mobility.

Also private transport is appealing in a pandemic.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

What Singapore's Luxury Car Market Reveals About Income Inequality.

There are more than 500 Porches and 500 Ferraris in Spore.

There are less than 100 Peroduas.

:grin:

In most countries the curve is 90% economy cars and 10% super cars.

Here its like 90% luxury cars and 10% economy cars.

I think we have more Mercs and BMs per mile of road than anywhere else in the world.

Drive a perodua, rich fellows, phv, teksi Lau or just about anyone will push you off the road

drive a beat up coe pickup truck and no one mess with you 😈

• Haha! 5

14 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

Like everyone else, rich people here got bored during the CB - since they can't leave the country, they probably bought cars to maintain a sense of mobility.

Also private transport is appealing in a pandemic.

Is it because the price become more attractive?

4 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Drive a perodua, rich fellows, phv, teksi Lau or just about anyone will push you off the road

drive a beat up coe pickup truck and no one mess with you 😈

Drive any pickup, no one mess with you.

Sadly, it is limited to 70km/h.

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Is it because the price become more attractive?

Rich people care less about the price than being bored. If they did, they wouldn't be paying the mindless cost of luxury car ownership in Singapore. 😀

• Praise 1

On 8/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, Soya said:

Just look at branded goods can liao

Many youngsters on starting salaries will happily splurge a months salary on a branded handbag whereas those who already have money will try and conserve it for value buys

Yeah, that's the main reason why fresh grads with ZERO experience can ask for 3K to 4K starting salaries.

It's not just experience but I find fresh grads although more tech savvy, it is this very tech savvy thingy that makes them less of a team player.

They are also less resilient when faced with a problem at work, keep seeing work get pushed around in meetings, better at using mouth than hands.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
31 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Yeah, that's the main reason why fresh grads with ZERO experience can ask for 3K to 4K starting salaries.

It's not just experience but I find fresh grads although more tech savvy, it is this very tech savvy thingy that makes them less of a team player.

They are also less resilient when faced with a problem at work, keep seeing work get pushed around in meetings, better at using mouth than hands.

Once had a junior staff that was earning $3k. Told me he bought a bicycle that cost $6k. Limpeh hear oso scratch head

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Soya said:

Once had a junior staff that was earning $3k. Told me he bought a bicycle that cost $6k. Limpeh hear oso scratch head

Oh, that reminds me of another characteristic; they are not afraid to flaunt every little thing they have, even worse, use money from parents.

Basically, know how to enjoy but when it comes to a situation, push here push there. I've seen some that are good but almost half are quite weak.

Too bad, old folks like me like to use hands not mouth :grin:(don't think dirty huh).

16 hours ago, Soya said:

I had intern last time drive BMW 3er to work le, it was the family's smallest car. 

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
3 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

I had intern last time drive BMW 3er to work le, it was the family's smallest car. 

Some ppl lucky born into rich family can't fault them lah

Unless they HL lor....

Twincharged
18 hours ago, Windwaver said:

, better at using mouth than hands.

they learn from CECA.

Edited by Mkl22

1 hour ago, Mockngbrd said:

Last time duing my ns, there was one nsf guy drove a BMW 3 to camp lo.

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Last time duing my ns, there was one nsf guy drove a BMW 3 to camp lo.

Mine also hav. But he tompang us go out makan so all good. 

• Haha! 1

On 8/1/2020 at 3:58 PM, Sdf4786k said:

Look at the sales of audi a3 1.0 and bmw 1 series can liao.

I bought an F20 despite knowing that this is a car for badge whores. For this reason alone, it made me think twice, thrice, quadruple times until i told myself....to hell with what others (even my wife. Yes, she finds the car too small). 95% of the time, I'm driving it alone and I'm paying for it. Go with what I like!

Honestly speaking, this car is not even on my list of consideration until a friend of mine recommended it to me because he knows clock over 2000KM per month and he recommended it to me based on fuel frugality. So I tried it and then, the rest is history... The low sitting position, sweet ZF, the rich diesel torque which makes it so much nicer to drive than a mazda 6, camry and BMW 216 (5 seater) a few years ago. I find the space acceptable as I rarely need to carry 3 passengers or more.

In fact, I know more of those people who drives Jap/Korean B&B falling in the borderline cases of car ownership than owners of premium marque's entry level cars.

• Praise 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:13 PM, Kopites said:

Need to take loan for daily transport should not buy car at all.

My view.

Bro... give chance la, people need car for various reasons, of which, many are legit.

Sometimes, life is such that one may not have enough to full cash a car during that time, but will have in the near future.

For me, I also didn't full cash my dirt cheap and shameful (in the eyes of many MCF bros here) F20, a 2015 1-series, because if I did back then, I might not be in a position to fund my cars purely using passive income now.

Edited by Rickster

22 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I bought an F20 despite knowing that this is a car for badge whores. For this reason alone, it made me think twice, thrice, quadruple times until i told myself....to hell with what others (even my wife. Yes, she finds the car too small). 95% of the time, I'm driving it alone and I'm paying for it. Go with what I like!

Honestly speaking, this car is not even on my list of consideration until a friend of mine recommended it to me because he knows clock over 2000KM per month and he recommended it to me based on fuel frugality. So I tried it and then, the rest is history... The low sitting position, sweet ZF, the rich diesel torque which makes it so much nicer to drive than a mazda 6, camry and BMW 216 (5 seater) a few years ago. I find the space acceptable as I rarely need to carry 3 passengers or more.

In fact, I know more of those people who drives Jap/Korean B&B falling in the borderline cases of car ownership than owners of premium marque's entry level cars.

Ppl who kpkb that entry level bmw buyers are badge whores are prob ppl who don't own BMWs. 

I just returned the 218i gran coupe to pml this morning. It's a car those ppl will prob say are for badge whores. But it is seriously (& surprisingly) good for an "entry level" model. Not just the drive, but the equipment levels, the materials, the fit n finish, when you drive it, it 100% does not feel "entry level" at all and is quite a jump up from the previous generation. 

IMG_20200730_151544.jpg

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Bro... give chance la, people need car for various reasons, of which, many are legit.

Sometimes, life is such that one may not have enough to full cash a car during that time, but will have in the near future.

For me, I also didn't full cash my dirt cheap and shameful (in the eyes of many MCF bros here) F20, a 2015 1-series, because if I did back then, I might not be in a position to fund my cars purely using passive income now.

If you have 30k.

Do you go for 130k new and assume loan of 100k or a resales 30k fully pay up. 

If can't even afford 25k/ 30k plus than better to take grab/ph.

↡ Advertisement