2019/2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid Ascent Sports Review

ismailmiller

Hi guys. I'm planning to buy this car soon. Wanted to get some feedback about this car. 

Here's the info I digged up so far. 

1) Fuel Consumption about 23km/l consider good for a 2.5CC car

2) Made In Australia, I think that's fine

3) PI generally selling the car now at around 110-120K. I do find the pricing quite reasonable. 

4) PI offer battery hybrid warranty either 5 or 10 years. 

Reliability wise, I think being a Toyota should not have issues. 

How about the comfort? Driving experience? Handling? Acceleration? Braking? Features? Kindly share if you are driving one now. 

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
49 minutes ago, ismailmiller said:

Hi guys. I'm planning to buy this car soon. Wanted to get some feedback about this car. 

3) PI generally selling the car now at around 110-120K. I do find the pricing quite reasonable. 

How about the comfort? Driving experience? Handling? Acceleration? Braking? Features? Kindly share if you are driving one now. 

Made in Japan

Australia car manufacturing closed down in 2017

Supercharged

Ascent is australian speced. Built for australian market.

As for make where. See can google.

Maybe like vauxhall. Opel. Holden. I dunno if holden is make in aussieland or not

I think this is quite a value for money car.

Most importantly as this is Australian spec, the Language used on head unit and multi info display is English.  Just that some PI mentioned there is Apple CarPlay some said don’t have. I heard that this is  MIJ for Australian market. 

Twincharged
36 minutes ago, Fat_slayer said:

I think this is quite a value for money car.

Most importantly as this is Australian spec, the Language used on head unit and multi info display is English.  Just that some PI mentioned there is Apple CarPlay some said don’t have. I heard that this is  MIJ for Australian market. 

Yes, considering that the Corolla hybrid brought in by Borneo motors is approx the same price. No brainer to go for the camry hybrid 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Spurman said:

A check on wikipedia does says toyota closes their plants in australia in 2017

Yup. Youtube even have the last Toyota car coming out of the production plant with everybody clapping. Many automobile car factories already shutdown in Australia. They can easily source them from cheaper right-hand-drive countries like Indonesia, Thailand, India and Japan.

Edited by Zxcvb

In this class right now, not many to choose from. Only Mazda 6 and maybe Skoda Superb around the same price point. Superb seems to be larger but Camry is likely to be cheaper to maintain past 5 year mark. 

Take the PI battery warranty with a huge pinch of salt, especially if not a strong PI that may not last 5 years in the ever-changing industry. 

• Praise 1

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp33314717/2021-toyota-camry-update/

Toyota just unveiled new update for this model with some changes such as tablet style touchscreen. If not hurry to get, can wait till next year for it to arrive our shore. The current one, so long manufactured 2019 onwards, will comes with Apple play and android auto

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, lemontree said:

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp33314717/2021-toyota-camry-update/

Toyota just unveiled new update for this model with some changes such as tablet style touchscreen. If not hurry to get, can wait till next year for it to arrive our shore. The current one, so long manufactured 2019 onwards, will comes with Apple play and android auto

The tablet looks big and bulky.....

Question - for such tablet like touch-screen, few years later can change, for example to 3rd party ones ? Toyota Camry seems to receive negative feedback for its touch screen (for example - laggy, etc). Existing models, it can be replaced.

21 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

I only have rental car experience. Not sure if same model. But camry hybrid brand new car with only 1000km on odometer.

This is my original post after i came back from melbourne. Made some other comments as well.

D

rove the camry hybrid for 1000 km in my recent trip.

What i liked
- suspension is bit on the firmer side compared to my car, but did quite a lot of twisty roads along GOR and especially while going through the Otways area. Not much body roll. Best thing i like about this car. Much improved over previous camry generations. TNGA platform really improved the toyota ride by quite a bit
- excellent FC. My total petrol bill was about $77 aud through the trip. 20km/L due to the crappy speed limits there.
- Good visibility all round
- decent pickup with the hybrid system
- decent cabin. No issues. Good legroom, good deeper boot (better than my car sigh). Can fit 2 large, 1 carry on and some bags (probably can squeeze another carry on, no problem)
- The safety tech not bad. ACC though i find the braking too abrupt for ACC. So i usually brake myself. Dont think encountered rear cross traffic alert. It did autonomous braking once but i think i can brake harder myself. And i also dunno when it engages so best is brake yourself lah

What i don't like
- steering feel is acceptable...... but nowhere as responsive as my car. Predictable but bit dead.
-  The accelerator pedal is the stiff type. I would prefer a more sensitive accelerator pedal. And when u release it fully, it clicks slightly. haha i was annoyed by that sound.
- not a fan of CVT still even though pickup is smooth but ok lah, it's perfectly suited for the really boring aussie driving
- The driver seat  is not as comfortable as my car, particularly the lumbar support. Found myself having more backaches.

Car is very suited for long cruises and it actually does pretty well compared to older Camrys on twisty roads. I was driving on really twisty gravel roads with turns every <100m, so i definitely kept to the 40kph limit. So at that speed, u won't encounter any understeer which i would expect if u drive like the Europeans.

The FC is pretty amazing if u live in the big countries. 

• Praise 2

48 minutes ago, Samlimlp said:

The tablet looks big and bulky.....

Question - for such tablet like touch-screen, few years later can change, for example to 3rd party ones ? Toyota Camry seems to receive negative feedback for its touch screen (for example - laggy, etc). Existing models, it can be replaced.

Yes, it can be changed. In fact, someone already changed the existing one to a 10.2" tablet one. Image gotten from another post in mcf

20200802_170523.jpg

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, lemontree said:

Yes, it can be changed. In fact, someone already changed the existing one to a 10.2" tablet one. Image gotten from another post in mcf

20200802_170523.jpg

Your pic is based on the existing type G model. I am asking about the new, to be released, one. See link https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp33314717/2021-toyota-camry-update/

On 8/2/2020 at 11:32 PM, Samlimlp said:

Your pic is based on the existing type G model. I am asking about the new, to be released, one. See link https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp33314717/2021-toyota-camry-update/

This one the screen too big, block the aircon as well...

Anyone else have any driving experience for this car to share?

Just took delivery of my Camry Sports Ascent Hybrid last Friday and still within my first 1,000KM run-in. It is a family sedan and it does what it is meant for well. My experience so far has been good.

What I like :

1. Very quiet engine. When the car stop, totally no noise....beginning I was wondering if the engine went dead......

2.  Very fuel efficient. Its one week and Its not even half tank (my old SUV I would be visiting the petrol station twice a week).......

3. Smooth comfortable quiet ride, not bumpy

4. Head unit is Andriod system, just need your phone hotspot connection. I have Waze, Google Map, Spotify, etc

5. Very spacious.

What is not good ::

1. We do not have Toyota-link support here for HU.

2. Lane detection can be. annoying. This is especially when stop at traffic juncture and motobike just appear beside you....

3.as size of the car is relatively large and long, carpark parking into smaller lot can be challenging.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3