Rising sea levels amid global warming, how to handle that?

golden_eagle

Supercharged

China target to allow air pollution to rise slightly in 2021

China's air quality targets for this year will be set at a slightly higher level than last year's average, an official said on Thursday (Feb 25), after pollution fell significantly in the early part of 2020 due to coronavirus-related lockdowns.

China will seek to keep average levels of small, hazardous airborne particles known as PM2.5 at 34.5 micrograms per cubic metre over the course of 2021, the environment ministry said on Thursday.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/china-target-to-allow-air-pollution-to-rise-slightly-in-2021-14278304

What logic is this? Last year my carbon foot print is smaller than usual, so this year I'm entitled to pollute more.  :we-all-gonna-die:

Hello??? Many other countries share this same planet hor...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Didu said:

China target to allow air pollution to rise slightly in 2021

China's air quality targets for this year will be set at a slightly higher level than last year's average, an official said on Thursday (Feb 25), after pollution fell significantly in the early part of 2020 due to coronavirus-related lockdowns.

China will seek to keep average levels of small, hazardous airborne particles known as PM2.5 at 34.5 micrograms per cubic metre over the course of 2021, the environment ministry said on Thursday.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/china-target-to-allow-air-pollution-to-rise-slightly-in-2021-14278304

What logic is this? Last year my carbon foot print is smaller than usual, so this year I'm entitled to pollute more.  :we-all-gonna-die:

Hello??? Many other countries share this same planet hor...

Sama sama...don't complain 1 month of bad air after free clean air for 11 months 😁

• Haha! 1

Global warming? Really ah? Why not shut down the oil refinery at Jurong Island?

Kong jiao way wan lah. We are so reliant on energy that comes from burning fossil fuel, how to stop?

Want to collect our money just say so. Why beat around the bush?

• Haha! 2

Problem is there is no viable alternative energy that doesnt require a lot of cost.

If we want to harness the solar energy th bulk of the cost is on the solar panels and batteries to store that energy. The limitations are the batteries as of now. There is a lot of talk on battery tech but we still do not see it yet.

If we want to harness wind energy like in the UK they build turbine fans on their coast, they are virtually partially submerge at sea. The cost to build and the cost to maintain the fans are astronomical. I guess they are doing it for the sake of global warming. Ironically speaking, at what cost?

Jakarta and Ho Chi Min these two cities are sinking fast, not because so much of rising sea levels but because they use so much of the ground water and not pipe water that they drained the grounds and caused it to sink...even faster. And they want to build dykes or sea walls to stop the sea water from invading the land. The problem lies with the ppl living there, not because of global warming.

Our mouth will continue to say we are concern about global warming but the thing is can we change? Can we stop being so reliant on energy that comes from burning fossil fuel? Can we change our lifestyle and stop using energy hungry devices? Talk is cheap. I dont think human beings can do it.

Why do you think our govt is considering using nuclear energy? They will only see more energy consumption that is coming to our near future. Not less. 

Edited by Watwheels

I wonder how many keyboard warrior here have switch to green energy plan? If most ppl cant accept an extra $10-20/month electricity bill to try to encourage green energy then we are already f***d

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 3

wah ... like this better not to own any atas freehold landed property 

one of your future generations may inherit something under the sea when the time comes 

😬😅

• Haha! 2

IMHO.
If Indonesia and Vietnam adopts slash and burn for agriculture,  that is the price they have to pay for rising sea level. 

51 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I wonder how many keyboard warrior here have switch to green energy plan? If most ppl cant accept an extra $10-20/month electricity bill to try to encourage green energy then we are already f***d

IMHO. AFAIK. 
There are two types of green energy plan - solar and carbon neutral electricity. 
Solar energy is a truly green.
Carbon neutral electricity is the same electricity made to look good with carbon credit offset. 

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Problem is there is no viable alternative energy that doesnt require a lot of cost.

If we want to harness the solar energy th bulk of the cost is on the solar panels and batteries to store that energy. The limitations are the batteries as of now. There is a lot of talk on battery tech but we still do not see it yet.

If we want to harness wind energy like in the UK they build turbine fans on their coast, they are virtually partially submerge at sea. The cost to build and the cost to maintain the fans are astronomical. I guess they are doing it for the sake of global warming. Ironically speaking, at what cost?

Jakarta and Ho Chi Min these two cities are sinking fast, not because so much of rising sea levels but because they use so much of the ground water and not pipe water that they drained the grounds and caused it to sink...even faster. And they want to build dykes or sea walls to stop the sea water from invading the land. The problem lies with the ppl living there, not because of global warming.

Our mouth will continue to say we are concern about global warming but the thing is can we change? Can we stop being so reliant on energy that comes from burning fossil fuel? Can we change our lifestyle and stop using energy hungry devices? Talk is cheap. I dont think human beings can do it.

Why do you think our govt is considering using nuclear energy? They will only see more energy consumption that is coming to our near future. Not less. 

IMHO.
A simpler approach is efficiency in energy conversion.   Alternate energy is a bonus. 

• Praise 1

Just now, inlinesix said:

I want to install home turbine to offset against power bill.

Got Lob@ng?

IMHO.
If wind, there are reasons why windmills are high in the sky. 

2 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
If wind, there are reasons why windmills are high in the sky. 

Long ago, i seen Dutch company that sell apartment wind turbine,

13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Long ago, i seen Dutch company that sell apartment wind turbine,

Here's some info I found. 

Dutch company launches new-generation urban wind turbines
Excerpt 
....  The Liam F1 generates an average of 1,500 kilowatt-hour of energy at a wind-speed of 5m/s,

https://techxplore.com/news/2014-05-dutch-company-new-generation-urban-turbines.html

KE Tech / Products
AWM wind turbines Model AWM - 750D - 150M
Powercurve including losses - @ wind speed of 5m/s, the power output is about 8 Watts

https://thearchimedes.com/products

P.S.  If SG were to harness wind energy,  it must be deliberate and look for ways to channel the wind.   
I have an idea how to do it but likely it will follow me to the grave. 😎

Edited by Kklee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1