ST Forum:Three years too soon for first car inspection

dudez7

5 hours ago, dudez7 said:

At https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/forum-three-years-too-soon-for-first-car-inspection

Singapore's roads were ranked first for road quality infrastructure in the World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness report last year.

Many car dealers now offer a five-year or even seven-year warranty mainly due to new technologies which allow for sturdier cars that stay roadworthy for longer.

I hope the LTA could consider requiring cars and motorcycles to be inspected only every three years after they are five-years-old.

For vehicles above 10 years, biennial inspection instead of annual inspection could be allowed.

Encourage or even mandate vehicle owners to change their car's tyres after every 10,000km to 15,000km of distance travelled. This would provide some safety assurance to all motorists on the road as well as ensure well-maintained roads.

Also encourage motorists to be responsible for the roadworthiness of their vehicles. That would reduce maintenance costs and accidents.

1GOYcgx.gif

Road quality is not the only factor affecting the conditions of a car. Others like driving habits (e.g. flooring the pedal, frequent application of brake at high speed, parking on uneven ground / driving off-road), traffic conditions, proper maintenance, mileage, etc. also affect how the car perform in long term (and their road-worthiness).

Warranties provided by all ADs / PIs do not cover wear and tear items, such as light bulbs, tyres, and undergoing routine inspection during servicing does not equate to having the inspection done by accredited vehicle inspection centers. And AD covers illegal modifications too?

Last but not least, have anyone ever spotted a car with "F1" tyre being stopped by TP or LTA enforcement officer? 10K - 15K change tyre? Even if that become a regulation, how to enforce without some form of routine check such as bi-annual vehicle inspection?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

How to catch and fine xzos.tint window, number plate le?

That's a very good question.

Policeman walk around car park.

:grin:

They can get some exercise so next time can run to chase crooks

and help collect 93 billion to pay back for nation building.

The only downside is police  complain lazy to walk around lah.

Too much hard work for them to do.

Why they cannot sit in aircon office or chat with girls at the NPP?

I mean patrol our expressway to catch trucks on lane 1

using aircon cars also too much work for them to do right?

Catch PHV from lane 1 jam brake and cut left to exit also cannot do right?

Catch drivers on Chevron because cannot bother to queue up also cannot do right?

Edited by Jamesc

If all criminal activity is only in police aircon office then they can all stay in the office.

But if people are breaking the law on the roads and in the streets then that where they should be.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, joshnicc said:

I think it depends on car usage

Exactly.  Base on both.  30k or 4 years which ever comes first.  Something like this

3 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

So he can save abit on his illegal mods during inspection... And extend his use of the mods also ?

Ya. The only benefit I can see is less trips to ws to swap parts out for inspection. 

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Unfortunately, tires has a age limit. Ask any low mileage owners what happen to the tires after 5 years even if the milage is 20000km .

You be lucky if on the 6th year , it does not delaminate 

My MIL car is 85k and 9.5 years old.

No point changing now and everything will be scrapped and disposed in a few months time.

Just have to wait and all my problems will soon be gone forever.

6 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

i would say an annual inspection is needed for PHVs. many of them running around with bald tires. at the very least this will get them to change the tires.

Actually cars are so expensive in Singapore, so they are mostly very well maintained but there will still be some owners who will scrimp on maintenance and endanger other road users. I think regular inspection, especially for older cars, is necessary. Tyres are ok, broken brake lights are repaired, etc. Don't think we will see materially less breakdown on our roads though. 

Also without inspection, there will be a lot more mods (illegal ones) being done but that is another story for another day. 

• Praise 5

For anyone that has gone for the inspection at the 3 year mark, you know that it isn't a thorough check up. The inspectors mostly go through the motions at each station and you are usually out within 10 mins. For that, you are charged $64. Easy money for them. For commercial vehicles, the frequency of inspections is either annually or every 6 months. These inspection centers are all run by government linked companies. It's pretty much a cash cow for them.

• Praise 2

"Unlike other countries with badly maintained roads, Singapore's roads are smooth, well-maintained and free of potholes." 

What bloody nonsense. Does this guy even drive? 

• Haha! 9

1 hour ago, Fuzzylogic said:

For anyone that has gone for the inspection at the 3 year mark, you know that it isn't a thorough check up. The inspectors mostly go through the motions at each station and you are usually out within 10 mins. For that, you are charged $64. Easy money for them. For commercial vehicles, the frequency of inspections is either annually or every 6 months. These inspection centers are all run by government linked companies. It's pretty much a cash cow for them.

Inspection is to protect other road users and perhaps the environment (smog), otherwise must check your engine oil and oil filters too. 😂

Agree it is a cash cow and our GLC can certainly sniff a money tree from 10 miles away. 

• Praise 1

I pass by vicom changi at 2pm, the queue is super long all the way till main road.

Can dinner card use in STA like vicom and enjoy hugh discount?

Dont think so....

Edited by Hamburger

Neutral Newbie

I just sent my about to be 3-year-old car for inspection. Agree 3 years is too soon for an inspection. The 1st 2 years' servicing is done by the agent as part of the sale package, unlikely that a major issue will crop up in the 3rd year.

I also saw on websites that the inspection fee should be around $64.20. I was charged $70.62. When I asked the VICOM staff who helped out at the payment machine. he said the charges depend on the car. After the receipt was printed, I saw there was a High Idle Idle Emission Test that cost $6 before GST - does anyone know whether this is standard and part of the test for 3 year old cars? Mine is a petrol car.

5 year inspection provided car owners service and maintain their cars regularly.

Some ppl dont care that's why LTA has to step in. Different folks clock different mileage thus I think for new cars after the first 3 years go for inspection is about time.

But for EV I think the first 5 years can exempt from inspection. There isnt much of service and maintenance required. And there's no exhaust to zhng. There's also no emissions gas to test. Can only check tires, wheel alignment and lights. 

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

5 year inspection provided car owners service and maintain their cars regularly.

Some ppl dont care that's why LTA has to step in. Different folks clock different mileage thus I think for new cars after the first 3 years go for inspection is about time.

But for EV I think the first 5 years can exempt from inspection. There isnt much of service and maintenance required. And there's no exhaust to zhng. There's also no emissions gas to test. Can only check tires, wheel alignment and lights. 

I will tint my windows dark dark if inspection is 5 years from registration. 3 years ROI very poor.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

I will tint my windows dark dark if inspection is 5 years from registration. 3 years ROI very poor.

4.5 years change car ... choon choon ... even exhaust mod just throw to next buyer ... ah beng shop like big big milo tin exhaust ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2