MOM takes action against 47 firms & investigating 240 others for possibly favouring foreign job applicants over S'poreans

Ct3833

Just now, inlinesix said:

If HR professional needs idiot proof process, they should be fired.

It can be as simple as writing to MOM to find the resources.

No choice.. We have to go to this stage.. To give idoit proof process.. So next time they will have no excuse on saying we don't know how to tap into local workforce and etc.. 

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

That's why I say although it's an excuse.. However these excuse actually do have valid point.. Maybe say out of 100 companies.. Say this 1 company really don't know anything at all? We need to have idiot proof process to let them know.. So that these companies will not be able to give that excuse and at the same time no need for them to time waste to find out local job hiring process.. Everything is given. 

You do know that the jobs bank is not really working right?

Companies already have a candidate in mind liao. They just put an ad there for 2 weeks, received numerous application then put their hands up and say Oh we can’t find any suitable locals. Then they employ that candidate.

• Praise 3
  • Angry 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

You actually believe the excuse they don't know how? 

Next excuse would be they don't know there's such a thing as Singaporean PMETs.... 

I mean look at things objectively even if they give excuse. We should make it as easy as possible for companies to tap on local workforce. If by listening to the excuse and there is some valid point.. Like maybe there is slightest chance that overseas companies coming in might not know the local hiring process. Then yeah.. Have to improve it and make it idoit proof.. And then when taken to task, they can't complain that they don't know the process as it is idoit proof given.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

All it takes is a Sengkang 2020?

============================

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2020/08/06/netizens-question-mom-why-now-only-realise-for-the-high-concentration-of-pmets-from-single-nationalities-as-all-the-employment-passes-are-issued-and-approved-by-mom/

Netizens wonder why MOM only take action now as the issue of higher number of foreign PMETs is not a new thing in Singapore

A bunch of critical comments were emerged on the social media after the MOM made such announcements. Penning their thoughts on the Facebook page of The Straits Times and Channel News Asia, the netizens wondered why MOM only realised this issue presently, given that the issue of unfair hiring practices have been happening for a long time.

1.png.8a119951dcd173d1f2cab5de11699f6f.png

They also pointed out that all the EP and work passes are issued and approved by MOM, questioning whether MOM have chose to “sweep the issue under carpet” or did all these just for "a drama and a wayang”.

A handful of netizens also called out the MOM to take immediate actions instead of just placing the errant employers on the watchlist.

A couple of netizens also criticised MOM for “double standard” on setting the quota and levy for work permit but not for EP.

I suppose someone need to do an audit on the process of rubber stamping the EP passes.

Many families and livelihood has been destroyed and making meritocracy a joke.

Years of neglect and it shows the people are losing patience and confidence in the leaders of tomorrow from the recent events.

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

You do know that the jobs bank is not really working right?

Companies already have a candidate in mind liao. They just put an ad there for 2 weeks, received numerous application then put their hands up and say Oh we can’t find any suitable locals. Then they employ that candidate.

no leh, they manage to upskill a dish washer who lost his job into a cleaner. 

Thats a step up in life.. 😞

• Sad 2
  • Haha! 3

1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

That person is who said it is my MP and now a Mayor too. Huat ah!

• Angry 1
  • Haha! 1

It is simply a case of acknowledging FT/FW is a problem and wanting to solve it. How is just a process that will be overcome very quickly. Do we have many foreign press here beside ST, Today, Business Time, etc? How about radio and TV stations and other media? How is it these can be controlled so easily while they all lag contents? 

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

This one no need up skill one leh.. Dish washer is such a simple job also need to go for training and upskill? Upskill is for the jobs that say for example.. This person last time is an admin.. Then she go study programming course and then she now upskill and know how to do programming and get hired in a job that she need to do programming and get higher pay.. That is upskill.. Not from cleaner to dish washer.. That one not upskill, that one is anyone is able to do job. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Victor68 said:

It is simply a case of acknowledging FT/FW is a problem and wanting to solve it. How is just a process that will be overcome very quickly. Do we have many foreign press here beside ST, Today, Business Time, etc? How about radio and TV stations and other media? How is it these can be controlled so easily while they all lag contents? 

Now let's see.. Coz mom now is getting tougher on discriminate hiring.. Hope that on 5 yrs time, when we go to Changi business park, we could see more people of different races working over there and not swam with Indians.. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Thanks for sharing.

But we are still in breach of CECA, otherwise we would have been flooded by now. It is just maths.

Agree our business needs to be more competitive but the scenario you drew out is happening in many thriving industries too.  The issue is complex but it really boils down to demand and supply.  

Don't use the stupid PMET unemployment rate as a guide to manage supply, with so many underemployed and "retired" locals (many have given up), it is a joke. Fact is there are no quota for EP, so supply is always more than demand.

Retraining, incentives, quotas,.... Start by setting an example with G hiring older workers. 

It is good you bring up the problem of 40-50 year old PMET facing displacement or retrenchment. That is the REAL problem, not the number of FT. If you see the discussion here, some of us has already deemed FT being too many and is a problem to be fixed. 

To me, the solution is how to ensure the companies in singapore, both MNCs, and local companies can be competitive, through any means. If they are not, they will close down or leave. You can talk about retraining, quotas, incentives, G hiring older workers but all these is not going to help. 

You ask any 40-50 year old PMET, which I am one of them, what they want the most??? it is to keep their current job or to stay in their current field where they can leverage on their many years of experience to get good pay. They don't want to do retraining, or switch field or join government with a low pay...

So how do you make sure the companies in Singapore thrive??? Sure if you can reduce the number of FTs in the MNCs without affecting their competitiveness, sure go ahead but it is a fine line to thread. And people needs to understand the final objective is not to reduce the number of FTs, it is to increase the number of good jobs for Locals. 

The solution is making sure our companies have the right leadership, the right environment, and the right access to talent (local or FT)

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

I thought we have assembled the best paid and most qualified team that cost tax payers multi million a month, have they said they run out of solutions?

For every problem,  first you need to acknowledge. If you don't think it is a problem,  then there is nothing to resolve. This first step comes from a cheapo citizen and is free. 

Exactly. What is the problem??? 

Is it we have too many FT? I don't think so.

I think the problem is many mid career PMETs are facing retrenchment or worried about their jobs. Is it caused by too many FTs? Maybe, but  but we need to be clear about what we are trying to solve.

44 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

This one no need up skill one leh.. Dish washer is such a simple job also need to go for training and upskill? Upskill is for the jobs that say for example.. This person last time is an admin.. Then she go study programming course and then she now upskill and know how to do programming and get hired in a job that she need to do programming and get higher pay.. That is upskill.. Not from cleaner to dish washer.. That one not upskill, that one is anyone is able to do job. 

But Hor, he went thru career consoling, (pun intended) to remove his negativity (macham poor man therapist) .

not only you get a new upgrade , you get a reimagined person to do a better job. 

If I go office and present something like that, I am very sure that day will also be my last day on the job unless I work for MIW. Which is totally acceptable. But I won’t have a guts to look at my self in the mirror ..but that’s me.

1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

But Hor, he went thru career consoling, (pun intended) to remove his negativity (macham poor man therapist) .

not only you get a new upgrade , you get a reimagined person to do a better job. 

If I go office and present something like that, I am very sure that day will also be my last day on the job unless I work for MIW. Which is totally acceptable. But I won’t have a guts to look at my self in the mirror ..but that’s me.

Haha.. Ya true.. 

This remind me of rebranding the job scope name but its still doing the same job. 

Like bus driver become bus captain.. That person is still driving bus what.. No change.. 

Then from cleaner become cleaning officer.. Then also director word is nowadays loosely used in a company.. Does change of wording change the same jobscope? No right? 

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

It is good you bring up the problem of 40-50 year old PMET facing displacement or retrenchment. That is the REAL problem, not the number of FT. If you see the discussion here, some of us has already deemed FT being too many and is a problem to be fixed. 

To me, the solution is how to ensure the companies in singapore, both MNCs, and local companies can be competitive, through any means. If they are not, they will close down or leave. You can talk about retraining, quotas, incentives, G hiring older workers but all these is not going to help. 

You ask any 40-50 year old PMET, which I am one of them, what they want the most??? it is to keep their current job or to stay in their current field where they can leverage on their many years of experience to get good pay. They don't want to do retraining, or switch field or join government with a low pay...

So how do you make sure the companies in Singapore thrive??? Sure if you can reduce the number of FTs in the MNCs without affecting their competitiveness, sure go ahead but it is a fine line to thread. And people needs to understand the final objective is not to reduce the number of FTs, it is to increase the number of good jobs for Locals. 

The solution is making sure our companies have the right leadership, the right environment, and the right access to talent (local or FT)

I believe that all of us want the same thing as you but what we are saying is, there is a undercurrent in place that systematically rule out what you and everyone of us wants. And that is a equal opportunity. 

right now, it more of who you know than what you earn and the productivity that you produce.

as someone once told me, the work place has change so much that we use to treasure the person that work hard .

but the new work place is such that your boss is a transaction farmer. You are the cow. 

once there is a change of requirement or leverage of financial influences to hire another person, you be out of a job.

many tend and want to believe that singaporean are expensive. Not any more. 

of course you will argue the fact that FT don’t pay cpf and that’s a 40% off discount so they are paid a tad higher from an employee point of view.

but what is the true financial valuation of the FT is worst than you can imagine.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Haha.. Ya true.. 

This remind me of rebranding the job scope name but its still doing the same job. 

Like bus driver become bus captain.. That person is still driving bus what.. No change.. 

Then from cleaner become cleaning officer.. Then also director word is nowadays loosely used in a company.. Does change of wording change the same jobscope? No right? 

Well if you watch kdrama, every one is a chairman if they own a shop in the market .. 😂 

image is everything. Else why would one buy the Audi and not a better Hyundai i30?

• Haha! 3

25 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I believe that all of us want the same thing as you but what we are saying is, there is a undercurrent in place that systematically rule out what you and everyone of us wants. And that is a equal opportunity. 

right now, it more of who you know than what you earn and the productivity that you produce.

as someone once told me, the work place has change so much that we use to treasure the person that work hard .

but the new work place is such that your boss is a transaction farmer. You are the cow. 

once there is a change of requirement or leverage of financial influences to hire another person, you be out of a job.

many tend and want to believe that singaporean are expensive. Not any more. 

of course you will argue the fact that FT don’t pay cpf and that’s a 40% off discount so they are paid a tad higher from an employee point of view.

but what is the true financial valuation of the FT is worst than you can imagine.

A friend shared with me his conversation with a local indian at SAF Yacht club more than 10 years ago.

The local Indian worked in a MNC and a India Indian was brought in. Being the nice naive guy, he teached everything he know to the India Indian. 

Not long after, the India Indian lick balls and went above him. After that, he started bringing in people from his own village and push all the work to the poor local Indian. Soon after, he resigned. 

• Haha! 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, Weez911 said:

"The manpower ministry urged the public to report specific instances of discriminatory behaviour, saying that the identity of whistleblowers will be kept confidential."

Do your part.

Anyone knows which specific email address or website to whistleblow? Years back, I tried https://www.mom.gov.sg/eservices/services/report-an-employment-act-violation, but this one not anonymous and needed Singpass.

I read the above posts and some of posters: Talk is easy here if you're not affected, but I am retrenched twice (no income from pte pty) was bad and still couldn't recover from it. 

Disclaimer: I did my part as a citizen and voted wisely many elections, though I'm in AMK GRC.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4