MOM takes action against 47 firms & investigating 240 others for possibly favouring foreign job applicants over S'poreans

Ct3833

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

You're quite correct on the timeline. It's basically about 2 generations of Singaporeans that have been screwed over, by now their primes are over (those which you rightfully pointed out 40s/50s, maybe some even late 30s).

So now, the much of the fire fighting is the strong push for re-training/re-skilling by SSG and WSG. The problem however is not so simple,

1) Companies are used to low wages
2) Many like to hire their own village (from top to bottom)
3) Over a period of 10~20 years, distrust in our society has been rooted
4) Over the same period of time, insufficient knowledge and leadership/skills has not benefited Singaporeans
5) Hiring middle age blue/white collar Singaporeans that have been retrained is an extremely uphill battle as organizations just want younger people

Point number 3 to me is a very serious problem as it relates to the stability of the core of a country.

Just talk to people around you, how many really trust the person working with him/her? Do you trust your neighbors as much compared to 20 years ago?

Even worse is if some of the younger hiring managers are willing to hire middle age workers, will they consider a short course of re-training reasonable? Even if they are hired, many are also segregated from the younger teammates.

See how bad the 'dis-trust' issue is on the ground?

chinesequote.jpg

You're right on the impact to the society.

These were the societal cost which will be very expensive to be paid for in the long run, as I had pointed in an earlier post. 

The numbers brought in doesn't make sense and it actually worked against the benefits of Singaporeans. 

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

This is an old story dated back to 2016, but it's worrying to see someone earning $7k to $8K  a month living the high life when employed and falling into a $100K debt within 7 months of unemployment. 

https://investmentmoats.com/uncategorized/taxi-uncle-shares-experience-100000-credit-card-debt-7000mth-salary-retirement-economy/

8k a month salary is only 56k in 7 months. So this fella has been spending more than he was earning anyway?

15 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

A friend shared with me his conversation with a local indian at SAF Yacht club more than 10 years ago.

The local Indian worked in a MNC and a India Indian was brought in. Being the nice naive guy, he teached everything he know to the India Indian. 

Not long after, the India Indian lick balls and went above him. After that, he started bringing in people from his own village and push all the work to the poor local Indian. Soon after, he resigned. 

Anecdotal accounts like this is always suspect if you can't verify.

Maybe the FT indian was just better at the job than him and was promoted because of it (not because lick balls?) 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Retrenched RWS workers during Covid-19 pandemic were mostly foreigners, says MOM 
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/retrenched-rws-workers-were-mostly-foreigners-says-mom?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-08-07 11%3A08%3A17

For a start, this is the type of company we need.

It could be license requirement.

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

It is good you bring up the problem of 40-50 year old PMET facing displacement or retrenchment. That is the REAL problem, not the number of FT. If you see the discussion here, some of us has already deemed FT being too many and is a problem to be fixed. 

To me, the solution is how to ensure the companies in singapore, both MNCs, and local companies can be competitive, through any means. If they are not, they will close down or leave. You can talk about retraining, quotas, incentives, G hiring older workers but all these is not going to help. 

You ask any 40-50 year old PMET, which I am one of them, what they want the most??? it is to keep their current job or to stay in their current field where they can leverage on their many years of experience to get good pay. They don't want to do retraining, or switch field or join government with a low pay...

So how do you make sure the companies in Singapore thrive??? Sure if you can reduce the number of FTs in the MNCs without affecting their competitiveness, sure go ahead but it is a fine line to thread. And people needs to understand the final objective is not to reduce the number of FTs, it is to increase the number of good jobs for Locals. 

The solution is making sure our companies have the right leadership, the right environment, and the right access to talent (local or FT)

I used to believe in the same BS promoted by G. 水涨船高. It is all theories.  We don't need a cap on FT, free flow of labor is good so long as the pie is growing.. the same slogan of yours, right leadership, environment and talents. 

Guess how many of these firms on the watchlist are from the banking and finance sector. Was th sector doing so badly in the last 10 years with all the QE everywhere?  

8593F9C8-C925-420A-9CA4-B6A3A7AF4716.jpeg

so based on this guideline, when hiring FT ... he/she must be higher performance than local 

but in reality ... mostly jiak liao bee ... only covid can clean up the mess

so now we know who is higher performance and JLB ... 

2020-08-07_115743.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

You actually believe the excuse they don't know how? 

Next excuse would be they don't know there's such a thing as Singaporean PMETs.... 

yah.. i hope we won't become another Philippines and Bangladesh... where the world thought they have only maids (Philippines) and labourers (Bangladesh)

8 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I used to believe in the same BS promoted by G. 水涨船高. It is all theories.  We don't need a cap on FT, free flow of labor is good so long as the pie is growing.. the same slogan of yours, right leadership, environment and talents. 

Guess how many of these firms on the watchlist are from the banking and finance sector. Was th sector doing so badly in the last 10 years with all the QE everywhere?  

My chinese is bad. Lifting tide lifts all boats?

Even that is not true. How many of us lower income people are actually making more now? Yes, maybe it even sounds like it is more based on real income but what's in the basket of comparison these days? Honestly I dunno.

But average 3 room HDB today is no longer the same as an average 3 room HDB 20 years ago. In terms of relative comfort, convenience and actual size.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Drive said:

Anyone knows which specific email address or website to whistleblow? Years back, I tried https://www.mom.gov.sg/eservices/services/report-an-employment-act-violation, but this one not anonymous and needed Singpass.

I read the above posts and some of posters: Talk is easy here if you're not affected, but I am retrenched twice (no income from pte pty) was bad and still couldn't recover from it. 

Disclaimer: I did my part as a citizen and voted wisely many elections, though I'm in AMK GRC.

I think they just meant they will not tell the company who reported them but MOM still need to know who you are. Kept confidential and anonymous are different thing I guess.

Anyway, I did mentioned before talk is cheap here because the person is not affected and in fact benefited from the rental of his property perhaps.

But one day it will come back to bite him hard. If not him, then his kids when they have to compete with so many foreigners.

16 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

8593F9C8-C925-420A-9CA4-B6A3A7AF4716.jpeg

Bro, the only cap they know is the % at every GE. That's THE cap.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

21 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It could be license requirement.

Possible I guess. So that means govt need something to grab the companies by the balls then they will comply?

Edited by Fcw75

3 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Possible I guess. So that means govt need something to grab the companies by the balls then they will comply?

As a biz, definitely 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

This is an old story dated back to 2016, but it's worrying to see someone earning $7k to $8K  a month living the high life when employed and falling into a $100K debt within 7 months of unemployment. 

https://investmentmoats.com/uncategorized/taxi-uncle-shares-experience-100000-credit-card-debt-7000mth-salary-retirement-economy/

Nowadays people are spending almost double of what they earn due to easy accessible credit. Flashing out their luxury lifestyle bought on credit🤣

Edited by Ginyu

16 minutes ago, Ginyu said:

Nowadays people are spending almost double of what they earn due to easy accessible credit. Flashing out their luxury lifestyle bought on credit🤣

At 40 yrs old earning $7-8k per month with wife not working, life is not easy.

almost hand to mouth already.  Everything should be basic with the very occasional luxury.

but due to easy credit as a poor excuse, people spend ahead of their incomes.  So the moment income stops, they are basically f**ked. 

Sorry, i have no sympathy ampathy for such.  Just wish them good luck

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1