MOM takes action against 47 firms & investigating 240 others for possibly favouring foreign job applicants over S'poreans

Ct3833

5 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

MOM n MOE must work very closely . Best is to sleep together.  😆

With so many FT stealing their jobs , many grads will have to work cheap labour.  I rem some elite said ... Dont go for degree , study ITE. 😂 cant rem who was that idiot.  And yet the news keep saying there is not enough talent hence needed to bring in FT. These elites are no diff from Najib ... selling the country for own benefits 

Ong would not like JY .... guess why 😂😄

Dun worry ... Ng Chee Meng finally got incentive to do his blardy job now that Sengkang voters showed him the way

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 8

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Split these posts into a new thread to facilitate discussions. And those actions mentioned are looooooooong over due!!

Can see that someone is trying to score some brownie points... ... BTW, I am surprised that the following is not a "Premium Article" :D :D 

Call to curb biased hiring by naming firms on watch list

."

the employers did their recruitment fairly ma ... it was our elite system and mismanagement  of policy that caused local to be unfavourable 😂 

Now pointing fingers at others ... our elite tsk tsk tsk 😆

TGIF

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

6 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

With so many FT stealing their jobs , many grads will have to work cheap labour.  I rem some elite said ... Dont go for degree , study ITE. 😂 cant rem who was that idiot.  And yet the news keep saying there is not enough talent hence needed to bring in FT. These elites are no diff from Najib ... selling the country for own benefits 

The merged ministry will be called

Labour Learning Ministry.

• Haha! 3

1 minute ago, yishunite said:

Dun worry ... Ng Chee Meng finally got incentive to do his blardy job now that Sengkang voters showed him the way

NTUC was just a cash cow for them . Dont think they care much for the people. Now he is no more a minister portfolio,  other ministries would be bothered w him. So now ... became a regular CEO . 😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

30 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

I agree dont go for degree, esp if your degree is not from local uni. Better study ITE good enough liao, since having a degree doesnt mean high salary. [rolleyes]

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 3

5 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

A friend shared with me his conversation with a local indian at SAF Yacht club more than 10 years ago.

The local Indian worked in a MNC and a India Indian was brought in. Being the nice naive guy, he teached everything he know to the India Indian. 

Not long after, the India Indian lick balls and went above him. After that, he started bringing in people from his own village and push all the work to the poor local Indian. Soon after, he resigned. 

A farmer while treasure the cow will not reward the cow but will continue to expect higher from the cow.

have you ever heard of the farmer rewarding the cow because it has done a hard days work .

so when ever I hear a boss mentioned, you should be Glad that you still have a job and you still ask for a raise? I the same story is replayed in my head.

so base on hindsight 20/20 in previous year when the retrenchment was bad, did anyone see a larger increase of take up rate of FT converting to PR so that they don’t have to go back to a worst off home land.? 

I hope this time round MOM do not allow the same thing to happen unless the goal is to TOP up the citizen population again.

Reading this article.......

Errant employers will not be able to renew the work passes of existing employees during a debarment period. They also cannot apply for new work passes for at least 12 months - up from the previous minimum of six months. The debarment period can extend to 24 months for egregious cases.

this sort of “encourages “ the conversion if it’s what I interpret to be correct, many in the offices will be do the great singaporean sale again. If applying a PR is not a loophole for the company, I don’t know what is ... 😂 

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Split these posts into a new thread to facilitate discussions. And those actions mentioned are looooooooong over due!!

Can see that someone is trying to score some brownie points... ... BTW, I am surprised that the following is not a "Premium Article" :D :D 

Call to curb biased hiring by naming firms on watch list

nz_raffles_070826.jpg?itok=OwHjxita&time

A senior labour MP has called on the authorities to disclose the names of companies put on a watch list for biased hiring, to improve transparency and send a strong signal that such behaviour must stop.

National Trades Union Congress assistant secretary-general Patrick Tay told The Straits Times yesterday that "it is ever more critical for us to ensure that Singaporeans are considered fairly, especially in the current employment climate".

He has been lobbying to tighten the Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) to ensure workplaces are fair and progressive, and to strongly deter unfair hiring practices.

The FCF was introduced in 2014 to maintain a strong Singaporean core in PMET (professional, managerial, executive and technician) jobs and requires employers to assess Singaporeans fairly for all job openings.

Amid concerns from job seekers in a tough job market caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said on Wednesday that 47 more employers were recently added to the FCF watch list for potentially discriminatory hiring practices, on top of an earlier 1,200.

Eighteen of these firms have foreigners comprising over half of their PMET workforce. Thirty are in the financial and professional services, and were found to have a high concentration of PMETs from single nationalities - significantly higher than their industry peers.

Their Employment Pass (EP) applications for foreign hires will be closely scrutinised, and those who are recalcitrant or uncooperative will have their work pass privileges cut back.

Mr Tay said disclosing the companies' names will allow job seekers to be better informed.

Asked why MOM did not name companies on the watch list, which was first introduced in 2016, a ministry spokesman told ST that it will periodically publicise the names of firms that are found guilty of discriminatory hiring practices.

"For example, in March 2020, MOM released the names of five employers penalised for age-related discriminatory hiring," it said.

They are: education centre Wisdomtree Learning Centre, events company Outshinerz Events, and security firm Security & Risk Solutions, all of which had indicated preferred age criteria in job ads. Two related companies, Incredible Service Doc and IDOC, granted interviews only to female Chinese applicants under the age of 45.

For breaching Tripartite Guidelines on Fair Employment Practices, MOM barred the five firms from hiring foreigners and from renewing the work passes of existing foreign employees for 12 months.

Mr Tay proposed two other measures to tackle biased hiring: Remove the exemption for intra-corporate transferees (ICTs), and have tougher measures and penal sanctions against companies that treat the FCF as "mere window dressing" or find ways to circumvent the requirements through the use of exemptions.

He said: "This will help level the playing field for Singaporean job seekers, such that as long as they are competent and qualified for the job, they can apply and be considered for the position."

Currently, a job is exempted from the FCF advertising requirement if it will be filled by an ICT.

The requirement states that employers must advertise positions for Singaporeans on Jobs Bank - launched in 2014 to facilitate job matching for local job seekers - before they can apply for an EP.

To be exempted, the EP candidate has to meet the stringent definition of ICTs under the World Trade Organisation's General Agreement on Trade in Services, or any applicable free trade pact that Singapore is party to. This includes term limits and a minimum number of years of work experience in the company outside Singapore.

Yesterday, MOM said the FCF watch list was introduced to proactively identify employers suspected of discriminatory hiring practices.

Through the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices' engagement, firms suspected of discriminatory hiring practices will be referred to MOM for investigation and action, it said.

MOM added that those on the watch list have to take immediate actions to correct their practices, and will be assessed every six months.

"If they improve on their hiring practices, they will exit the watch list. Only a handful of firms have been put back on the watch list after exiting it."

Calls for tougher measures have been raised in Parliament. Last November, Senior Minister of State for Manpower Zaqy Mohamad said the FCF watch list has shifted employer behaviour, but has not gone unnoticed: "If leading global companies think twice about investing in Singapore or rethink their future plans for Singapore, the result could be fewer good jobs for Singaporeans. So, it is a delicate balancing act."

Bro name all 1200 firms will be like 5 pages worth of names on today free paper? 

I rather they take the 1247 HR manager to jail . That will send a strong message that pretending to don’t know the hiring practices is serious.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

The first steps to correcting the issues should be:

• revisit the criteria for quota system (WP, S-Pass, etc.)
  • re-evaluate the needs for quota system for Employment Pass
  • reconsider the needs for establishing min. wages for various positions

Someone mentioned here that companies have to adhere to workers quota pre-determined by MOM when hiring foreigners, and let me share my view why it don't works most of the time.

First, the law does not spell out explicitly the component for Singaporean and SPR. They can be from the ground level (e.g. cleaner, production operator, technician, etc.) to supervisory and management level (which usually cost more than foreigner). So technically, a company can hire 10 local for lower position, e.g. production operator, admin assistance at a cost not significantly higher than FW (basic salary + levy), and then use the quota on a foreign section leader / supervisor under the S-Pass scheme. So Singaporean ended up with low salaried job, while supervisory role landed with foreigners.

That is not the biggest loopholes though. Next level up (for position earning $3,900 p.m. and above), the management role, there is NO quota or levy for hiring foreigner!! Source: Key facts on Employment Pass. Look at the List of standard occupations for Employment Pass, basically all roles are there, and this is the very reason why we are seeing so many foreign managers in HR, finance, production, quality, engineering, IT department, etc.

If you bother to check out https://www.mycareersfuture.sg/, you can still find employer offering not more than $4,000 p.m. for manager role, which they can't even get a foreigner to fill because of salary requirement (under Employment Pass). BTW, I have many stories to share about My Careers Future portal, which I share keep it for another day.

And before I conclude the post, lumping SPR into the local resident pool is another area that needed to be reviewed urgently. For those with foreign colleagues, check out with them how "difficult" it is to apply for PR, and how the HR goes the extra miles to submit supporting documents willingly to ICA and the relevant authorities...

• Praise 14

1 hour ago, Sosaria said:

Seriously some legit massage spas, the lady can earn that figure [laugh] I thought they were talking in RMB.

Confirm can.

not RMB

wah ... so thoughtful ... quoted facebook post .... "is it because of sengkang" ? [sly]  [laugh] 

A senior labour MP has called on the authorities to disclose the names of companies put on a watch list for biased hiring, to improve transparency and send a strong signal that such behaviour must stop.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 2

The first steps to correcting the issues should be:

• revisit the criteria for quota system (WP, S-Pass, etc.)
  • re-evaluate the needs for quota system for Employment Pass
  • reconsider the needs for establishing min. wages for various positions

Someone mentioned here that companies have to adhere to workers quota pre-determined by MOM when hiring foreigners, and let me share my view why it don't works most of the time.

First, the law does not spell out explicitly the component for Singaporean and SPR. They can be from the ground level (e.g. cleaner, production operator, technician, etc.) to supervisory and management level (which usually cost more than foreigner). So technically, a company can hire 10 local for lower position, e.g. production operator, admin assistance at a cost not significantly higher than FW (basic salary + levy), and then use the quota on a foreign section leader / supervisor under the S-Pass scheme. So Singaporean ended up with low salaried job, while supervisory role landed with foreigners.

That is not the biggest loopholes though. Next level up (for position earning $3,900 p.m. and above), the management role, there is NO quota or levy for hiring foreigner!! Source: Key facts on Employment Pass. Look at the List of standard occupations for Employment Pass, basically all roles are there, and this is the very reason why we are seeing so many foreign managers in HR, finance, production, quality, engineering, IT department, etc.

If you bother to check out https://www.mycareersfuture.sg/, you can still find employer offering not more than $4,000 p.m. for manager role, which they can't even get a foreigner to fill because of salary requirement (under Employment Pass). BTW, I have many stories to share about My Careers Future portal, which I share keep it for another day.

And before I conclude the post, lumping SPR into the local resident pool is another area that needed to be reviewed urgently. For those with foreign colleagues, check out with them how "difficult" it is to apply for PR, and how the HR goes the extra miles to submit supporting documents willingly to ICA and the relevant authorities...

Quota shld also tie to categories of employment... if employ 100 local cleaner , no use also 😄

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

I agree dont go for degree, esp if your degree is not from local uni. Better study ITE good enough liao, since having a degree doesnt mean high salary. [rolleyes]

Nowadays take a rock and throw also will hit a degree holder.

Learn some skills better. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Seriously some legit massage spas, the lady can earn that figure [laugh] I thought they were talking in RMB.

Last time in Adelphi basement, those spa lady can earn more than $1000 a day. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

Singapore is not ready for this yet. With scholars and generals running the show, focus is always on academics, theories. Even the selection of MP are academic based. The mindset change will take a long time. We did want to try the german education system in the early 70 but top people are from the traditional source. How to accept that technical skill are equivalent leh?

7 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Last time in Adelphi basement, those spa lady can earn more than $1000 a day. 

You the regular customer there ......  [sly]

Sure lar..... upstair 75% occupants are lawyer offices. After a day in court, go spa for a massage. :we-all-gonna-die: 

• Haha! 3

22 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

I suppose someone need to do an audit on the process of rubber stamping the EP passes.

Many families and livelihood has been destroyed and making meritocracy a joke.

Years of neglect and it shows the people are losing patience and confidence in the leaders of tomorrow from the recent events.

fhl4bDd.gif

Wait auditors also ownself how?

↡ Advertisement