MOM takes action against 47 firms & investigating 240 others for possibly favouring foreign job applicants over S'poreans

Ct3833

On 9/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, 13177 said:

Those who come here to work, even obtain SPR or even citizens, i think most of them would not sink permanent roots here la, esp if they still have family back in their home country. Unless their whole family and clan all moved to sg, then maybe they would sink their roots here. I know people who have got their citizens here, but still thinking to go back home country to retire when they are old.

That is because the cost of living here is super expensive. So it is very normal to think of going back to home country to retire when they are old. Just like some of us here might have the thought of migrate to Thailand, Malaysia when they are old to retire due to high cost of living here in Singapore. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I would say it depend on how the research body phrased the questions. I for one agree that we need to remain open to foreigners, BUT only in sector that CANNOT be filled by the local, similar situation we had >20 years ago. Unfortunately that is not what we are seeing now and thus the anti-foreigner sentiment (directed towards those who take up PMET positions, NOT migrant workers for sure).

End of the day, statistics and findings can be easily manipulated to fit the agenda...[gossip]

I would say sort out the numbers of top heavy non singaporean in the leadership role for financial institutions first before allowing business as usual.

also maintain those companies that blatantly discriminate hiring singaporean till the figures are aligned just to showcase the tolerance level of our regardless of race language or religion pledge. Else the internal landscape of our values and fabric is at risk of being redicure n eroded.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

That is because the cost of living here is super expensive. So it is very normal to think of going back to home country to retire when they are old. Just like some of us here might have the thought of migrate to Thailand, Malaysia when they are old to retire due to high cost of living here in Singapore. 

Those that have thought of that would have long gone apply a PR when it was easier n just buying time to watch if situation changes. If it revert back to a promise land of milk n honey for home born singaporean, the PR is nothing but a ace card kept for emergency.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I would say it depend on how the research body phrased the questions. I for one agree that we need to remain open to foreigners, BUT only in sector that CANNOT be filled by the local, similar situation we had >20 years ago. Unfortunately that is not what we are seeing now and thus the anti-foreigner sentiment (directed towards those who take up PMET positions, NOT migrant workers for sure).

End of the day, statistics and findings can be easily manipulated to fit the agenda...[gossip]

I believe the sectors that we are unable to filled is still true. In areas where AI and Data analytics or bots and security is still rather limited.

and hence only those that are offered a opportunity to switch to a total new area of growth and the hiring company willing to risk hiring a newbie who has 50% of the the understanding of the knowledge and willing to put in effort to filled the gap with hitting the ground running with the rest of the teammate helping him be successful, will this gap be fixed 

5 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

I believe the sectors that we are unable to filled is still true. In areas where AI and Data analytics or bots and security is still rather limited.

and hence only those that are offered a opportunity to switch to a total new area of growth and the hiring company willing to risk hiring a newbie who has 50% of the the understanding of the knowledge and willing to put in effort to filled the gap with hitting the ground running with the rest of the teammate helping him be successful, will this gap be fixed 

Not sure if you are involved in related industry. I am not but from feedback given by people from the industry,  we have imported many 'talent' that are not able to contribute. There are mass but no quality. Maybe those directly dealing with them can share.

• Haha! 3

40 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Not sure if you are involved in related industry. I am not but from feedback given by people from the industry,  we have imported many 'talent' that are not able to contribute. There are mass but no quality. Maybe those directly dealing with them can share.

What’s a business if there’s no profit.And many a times, those FT that are move into the role are subsequently promoted. Not because they are good . But because the role is a director role. But if you advert for internal transfer as a director role there will be too many problems of selecting those that are equally good n not enough people to take over those roles that have become vacant for the new director role.

so it’s never a case of if you are good, be patient enough and you be promoted. It’s more of knowing who you can count on and who you can leverage to help you be successful.

not sure if you encounter folks that are so hood, they become a threat if they are promoted.

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Another AMDK company infested by CECA? Hire on color and not on merits? This has got to stop, being discriminated against in our own country.

Can MOM check if the hiring and HR managers are Indians hiring their own and if the job really requires Hindi language proficiency? 

https://mothership.sg/2021/01/tesla-ad-singapore-fluent-in-hindi/

If fluency in Hindi is a must, then now I understand why those companies said Singapore do not have enough talent. 

• Haha! 4

Lego too. Such practices should stop!!! If the Co is hiring for India market, then go hire in India, where pay package is much lower. 

And no prize for guessing the origin of their HR... 

Screenshot-2021-01-15-at-10-11-36-AM.png

Screenshot-2021-01-15-at-10-12-15-AM.png

• Praise 9

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Lego too. Such practices should stop!!! If the Co is hiring for India market, then go hire in India, where pay package is much lower. 

Interesting.. perhaps the ohq is SG and pay a lower tax but focus on India larger market .

wonder if IRAS knows that cross border taxes may be applied n Tesla May not be “familiar “ with it.

just like Apple Park the money in tax haven .. 

Edited by Sdf4786k

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Nbz we jumped out of planes, rappel out of helicopters and cross the Brunei valley on a tiny log for this shiat.

• Praise 2

ah neh speak bogren engrish can talk to sinkie

sinkie don't know hindi cannot talk to ah neh? [confused]  

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

If a job really requires certain Indian experience or Hindi linguistics skills, i think it is fine but very often, we know it is the Indian hiring or HR manager who is keen to hire a fellow countryman (most times, identified) and reverse engineered a JD to fit the selected candidate.

They are really very united and excellent networkers. Always taking care of their own. 

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1
  • Angry 2

10 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

They are really very united and excellent networkers. Always taking care of their own. 

C > follow B > follow A ... plenty of followers ...

based on my experience, there is strong bond/unity ... you help me, i help you ...

you seldom see backstabbing unless from a different group :D 

and old saying .... big problem > (can settle) > small problem (can talk) > no problem ... until FUBAR

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1