MOM takes action against 47 firms & investigating 240 others for possibly favouring foreign job applicants over S'poreans

Ct3833

58 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/job-hiring-practices-discrimination-watchlist-pmet-foreigners-12993100

Hmm.. Looks like government for don't know what reason not going to touch ceca.. Maybe it's because of agreement already set and can't change it.. So go in another way to tackle.. Which is to look at individual companies hiring process. If there is clear sign that this particular companies are hiring the same race more then what is the industrial standard and had not tried all means to go and hire other races.. Then government step in. So it is as good as capping the population of Indian coming in to Singapore workforce relative to other races. It may take time.. If this trend continue, perhaps in 5 yrs time we might see more locals and other races of people working at Changi business park instead of now loopsided to majority are Indian nationality. 

They negotiated and signed the See Kar, touting so much economic benefits it would bring to locals (I can see a lot of PHVs will be needed to transport them, and of course those with second or more properties to rent out), to u-turn will be a major loss of face. Only when they lose 2/3 majority of the seats then there is any possibility of tearing up the See Kar agreement. 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

51 minutes ago, Enye said:

i don’t understand why people are rambling on about quotas 

ep got no quota requirements one unlike work pass or s pass

companies only need to fulfill the ep requirements and bring in the fts without looking at local to foreigner ratio.

and btw pr is considered as local if we are looking at the ratio hor 

so technically a company can be staffed with prs, eps and s pass or work pass without even employing a single singaporean 

even local managing director registered with acra also can be a pr 

😱😬

Now even recruiters are PRs! How to stop Singaporeans from perishing?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, yishunite said:

The worst was one time bought a frozen "burger"... it was more chicken than beef with unknown ratio to flour.... zzzz

I came across the same thing - beef burger with mostly Chicken meat. Or fruit juice with mostly syrup. SFA has very lax labeling regulations. Packaging and adverts can claim all sort of unbelievable nonsense like improving IQ. Even China is stricter. They cannot claim something that is not scientifically proven in the adverts or packaging. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

"The manpower ministry urged the public to report specific instances of discriminatory behaviour, saying that the identity of whistleblowers will be kept confidential."

Do your part.

We have been but the FT pheromone continues.

Are they  telling us that they do  not know what they have approved ? Does anyone here believe that they have no records of the employees of each company? Then how would IRAS go after the tax of a company and individual?   If no records, how would  MOM collect levies of  foreign  workers?  

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

29 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Are they  telling us that they do  not know what they have approved ? Does anyone here believe that they have no records of the employees of each company? Then how would IRAS go after the tax of a company and individual?   If no records, how would  MOM collect levies of  foreign  workers?  

when nobody complains, then action not warranted. Standing SOP!

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

"The manpower ministry urged the public to report specific instances of discriminatory behaviour, saying that the identity of whistleblowers will be kept confidential."

Do your part.

What is discriminary behavior tho? Prioritize Singaporeans ahead of foreigners can also be said to be discriminatory against foreigners.

In any case, they can always just claim to do a global search and then come back saying their initial FT candidate is the best. Worked for SMRT so should work for others too?

1 hour ago, Enye said:

i don’t understand why people are rambling on about quotas 

ep got no quota requirements one unlike work pass or s pass

companies only need to fulfill the ep requirements and bring in the fts without looking at local to foreigner ratio.

and btw pr is considered as local if we are looking at the ratio hor 

so technically a company can be staffed with prs, eps and s pass or work pass without even employing a single singaporean 

even local managing director registered with acra also can be a pr 

😱😬

Really? How can PR be considered local? What is the logic there?

5 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

What is discriminary behavior tho? Prioritize Singaporeans ahead of foreigners can also be said to be discriminatory against foreigners.

In any case, they can always just claim to do a global search and then come back saying their initial FT candidate is the best. Worked for SMRT so should work for others too?

Really? How can PR be considered local? What is the logic there?

Wait is this the same ToyotaShuttle that was telling us to stop complaining b4 election? Ur IB contract finish and kena retrench? 🤣

• Haha! 6

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Go walk around MBFC, Fusionopolis, Changi business park and see the FT to singaporean ratio ,one will  easily see the kind of ratio whether it is 1 is to 3 or the other way round, or maybe even higher. If one has a friend working in a MNC, ask him what kind of ratio he is seeing in his office to be convinced  what MOM have said is just  hot air balloons. If they had done something about it so many years ago, the FT issues wouldn't  have been a GE discussion. In addition, after so many years of  so call watch list,  today they continue to expand their watch list ? Did they ask themselves is their watch list approach effective or working at all ? The 39+% voters can't be so blind. 

I am just correcting your post about the watchlist being "just watching". There are serious implications to being on the watchlist. Funny thing is the watchlist is not public... 

I work in MNCs all my life, and now in CBP... no need to ask...

• Haha! 1

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I am just correcting your post about the watchlist being "just watching". There are serious implications to being on the watchlist. Funny thing is the watchlist is not public... 

I work in MNCs all my life, and now in CBP... no need to ask...

Serious? Serious implication? I have been in a fortune 500 MNC in  CBP for nearly 15years, I saw a very different picture. The name Chennai business park didnt happen by accident.  Some few years back I joined another different MNC which is no longer in CBP, I am still seeing the same thing untill recently I saw some tightening in HR guidlines.  I trust my own eyes. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

21 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Wait is this the same ToyotaShuttle that was telling us to stop complaining b4 election? Ur IB contract finish and kena retrench? 🤣

I don't recall saying to stop complaining. I said PAP has been doing a good job, will win and PAP won.

Now elections are over. Time to get our government to continue improving and do a better job.

About my job: Don't think I will be retrenched any time soon. Should be quite stable but bonus will be affected.

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
Just now, Ct3833 said:

Serious? Serious implication? I have been in a fortune 500 MNC in  CBP for nearly 15years, I saw a very different picture. The name Chennai business park didnt happen by accident.  Some few years back I joined another different MNC which is no longer in CBP, I am still seeing the same thing.  I trust my own eyes. 

.... sigh... the question are those companies in CBP in the watchlist? 

I don't think so because you can't hire EP if you are on the watchlist for more than 6 months. Is that is not a serious implication, I don't know what is...

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Totally BS! I did my part 5 years ago but those companies are still not employing more than 5% Singaporeans in total till today! Only some naive people will chose to believe in them!

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

.... sigh... the question are those companies in CBP in the watchlist? 

I don't think so because you can't hire EP if you are on the watchlist for more than 6 months. Is that is not a serious implication, I don't know what is...

Why should a company  be in a watch list in the first place ? MOM just have to cap the quota, they have no records of those companies  foreign hiring ?

MOM and  MTI are very afraid of those big companies, especially those that have OHQ here,they will tell MTI and MOM they will move out,  everything also can be done. 

One day I will go CBP to do a sample count again and see if the ratio of people  walking on the street has changed . I shall pray.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Precisely, they are the one who approve EP, after approving, they tell those  employers , "oh sorry now you are in my watch list because   you have exceeded the quota !" They approved permits blindly ?  Then next they try to counter react again? It is not just one or two companies,  it is in the number of thousands every year, at least ask themselves please , has it been working ?  What has gone wrong ? And my concern is this may just be  the tip of the iceberg.

Ya lo, i still dont know how MOM approve all the work pasess? Simply from top up to down, whole MOM is useless.

10 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Why should a company  be in a watch list in the first place ? MOM just have to cap the quota, they have no records of those companies  foreign hiring ?

MOM and  MTI are very afraid of those big companies, especially those that have OHQ here,they will tell MTI and MOM they will move out,  everything also can be done. 

One day I will go CBP to do a sample count again and see if the ratio of people  walking on the street has changed . I shall pray.

But don't you think that is a legitimate fear? If MNCs are threatening to move out of SG because you won't let them hire who they want to? What bargaining power do we have and can we call their bluff?

Is low tax sufficient to attract these companies?

Turbocharged
15 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

honestly, I am not sure if I should be bothered to try to convince you...

You think Singapore is big shot? If those big companies move out what happens? It is not just about jobs, those expats spend their money living in Singapore, from Childcare, rental, F&B. They pay their similar income taxes but receive far less benefits than citizens.

I really feel this anti-FT sentiment will drive singapore to the ground... It is a bit like UK leaving EU. UK is far bigger than singapore so maybe they have a chance. 

I am pretty sure Singapore won't stand a chance if the people are not smart enough to realise we need FT, and not just a few...

Edited by Wind30

3 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

honestly, I am not sure if I should be bothered to try to convince you...

You think Singapore is big shot? If those big companies move out what happens? It is not just about jobs, those expats spend their money living in Singapore, from Childcare, rental, F&B. They pay their similar income taxes but receive far less benefits than citizens.

I really feel this anti-FT sentiment will drive singapore to the ground... It is a bit like UK leaving EU. UK is far bigger than singapore so maybe they have a chance. 

I am pretty sure Singapore won't stand a chance if the people are not smart enough to realise we need FT, and not just a few...

The issue is not to discriminate but to ensure these companies do not abuse the system, which unfortunately most MNCs exhibit tendencies to circumvent local laws and in some instances quite blatantly disregard.

• Praise 7

33 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

But don't you think that is a legitimate fear? If MNCs are threatening to move out of SG because you won't let them hire who they want to? What bargaining power do we have and can we call their bluff?

Is low tax sufficient to attract these companies?

Sure, at least stick to the 1/3 rule, some exceptions allow, but the way I look at it, maybe every other companies are given exceptions,  if not a free for all market. Even a white shirt  senior minister  commented this matter before,  we know who.

↡ Advertisement