brownish water from tap

Wind30

Turbocharged

People,

I noticed that from my 15 year old rental apartment the tap water from the 2 toilets is brownish if you don't use them for like 2 days. Basically, the first 3-5 seconds is brown but it clears up quickly and don't come back until you don't use the tap for like 2 or more days. 

I tried running the taps for like 5 minutes but the problem still come back. Not sure if it is because the apartment is left empty for long periods of time but I am wondering if I can fix this.

Our renovation plumber say this is a common problem with old apartment and has no fix. I am hoping to fix this as I don't want to inconvenience my new tenant. Anyone have solved a similar problem before? Since it is only for like 3-5 seconds I suspect the sediments come from piping close to the tap. I am wondering if I can remove them or something...

The water from the kitchen tap looks clear though. 

↡ Advertisement

You may want to change all the piping. Even if it is not for the brown water, old piping may tend to leak over time for an old apartment.

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

People,

I noticed that from my 15 year old rental apartment the tap water from the 2 toilets is brownish if you don't use them for like 2 days. Basically, the first 3-5 seconds is brown but it clears up quickly and don't come back until you don't use the tap for like 2 or more days. 

I tried running the taps for like 5 minutes but the problem still come back. Not sure if it is because the apartment is left empty for long periods of time but I am wondering if I can fix this.

Our renovation plumber say this is a common problem with old apartment and has no fix. I am hoping to fix this as I don't want to inconvenience my new tenant. Anyone have solved a similar problem before? Since it is only for like 3-5 seconds I suspect the sediments come from piping close to the tap. I am wondering if I can remove them or something...

Rooftop water tank?

Sediments settle slowly to your pipes over time,  so once you "open" it flushed out.

If you keep using,  the sediment concentration level is too low to be noticed. 

Take note.. some places, you have roof water tank,  also don't mean your unit supplied from there. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

People,

You need to re-pipe from the meter all the way to your house. Use copper piping. Your current piping should be steel piping so it has corroded from the insides.

If your pipes are already re-piped, then call PUB and check their end. Before the meter is PUB problem. After the meter is your own problem.

This is what we experienced from our 50 years old apartment.

• Praise 4

Maid inside water tank?

Or Bangla swimming in the tank

and had a toilet accident?

:grin:

Could also be rusty pipes.

Take your pick.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

You need to re-pipe from the meter all the way to your house. Use copper piping. Your current piping should be steel piping so it has corroded from the insides.

If your pipes are already re-piped, then call PUB and check their end. Before the meter is PUB problem. After the meter is your own problem.

Did you repipe it? I am not sure how difficult it is. Hopefully it is not the pipes... we just completed renovation, repiping will be huge...

6 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Did you repipe it? I am not sure how difficult it is. Hopefully it is not the pipes... we just completed renovation, repiping will be huge...

Around 10 years ago, the management repiped the entire estate. Previously, we had to use a cloth filter at the taps. It was replaced with copper piping. So far, after 10 years, the copper piping are still doing good. Only thing no good is the copper piping is affected by the weather. Hot days, you will get hot water. Cold day, you will get cold water.

Too expensive for ourselves to do the repiping. Staying at level 5. It would cost a lot from ground floor pipe all the way to level 5. Also need to do scaffolding for the repipe. Do consider that in your costing.

Edited by Adrianli

3 hours ago, Wind30 said:

People,

Rusty pipes,  very common with non upgraded older flats.  My parents place used to have the same issue,  so we just tie a cloth with cotton as filter,  change every week.  After the HDB upgrade,  issue gone.  

Mayb just attach a filter to the tap and tell your tenant to replace it weekly or bi-weekly. 

Or install those diamond water filter system or something similar.  There are many cheaper options in the market now.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

7 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Rusty pipes,  very common with non upgraded older flats.  My parents place used to have the same issue,  so we just tie a cloth with cotton as filter,  change every week.  After the HDB upgrade,  issue gone.  

Mayb just attach a filter to the tap and tell your tenant to replace it weekly or bi-weekly. 

Or install those diamond water filter system or something similar.  There are many cheaper options in the market now.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

The diamond water filter will be clogged up very very fast. Waste money. Use cloth filter is cheaper option.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
25 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Thanks. I think it is probably too expensive to fix by myself. The kitchen tap water looks alright though which is weird. 
the tenant have not moved in yet. Let’s see what he says. Hopefully he is ok with it. 

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Change all piping inside the unit. Install a filter after water meter.

You might get reduced water pressure.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

You have sediment, you can install a whole house sediment filter, just after the water meter.

Or closer to the tap, if you choose.

Before that, you can try a simple flushing method.

1. Close the incoming main pipe valve.
  2. Open all the taps to let the remaining water flow out
  3. After most of the water drains out, close all the taps.
  4. Now open the main pipe valve.
  5. Then open the tap one by one starting from the one nearest the incoming main.
  6. You'll see the pressure pushing out the brown water, until clear.
  7. Once you're satisfied, close all the tap.
  8. You can repeat this a couple of times to see if anymore brown water comes out.

Otherwise, install a sediment filter.

sedf.jpg

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

7 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Yup, that's what my dad told me too so must change to copper.