Float@Marina Bay will be renamed to NS Square

StreetFight3r

3 hours ago, Adrianli said:

My fun times when it was still the old national stadium at Kallang river mouth.:grin:

Pwah!!!... when many members and buildings not even born yet

↡ Advertisement

On 8/9/2020 at 12:00 PM, StreetFight3r said:

The Float@Marina Bay, where the National Day Parade (NDP) is often held, will be named NS Square, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in his 2020 National Day Message.

PM Lee reveals how Float@Marina Bay, renamed as NS Square, will look like in 2025

It is likely to be completed by end 2025, though the timeline may be adjusted because of Covid-19.

The Float@Marina Bay, where the National Day Parade (NDP) is often held, will be named NS Square, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in his 2020 National Day Message.

PM also revealed how the NS Square would look like when it is completed.

In 2017, PM Lee announced the redevelopment of the Float into a permanent space to serve as the primary venue for NDP.

PM Lee said that the space will commemorate National Service (NS), and the central role that NS plays in Singapore.

NS Square central focus of new downtown

PM Lee described how NS Square will be designed:

"The development will be aligned on a central axis, with The Promontory on the opposite side of the Bay.

The platform will become a red dot, shining bright in our city. NS Square will be the central focus of our new downtown".

The government has awarded the design consultancy tender to a team led by WOHA Architects.

Redevelopment works are scheduled to start in March 2022 and completed by end 2025.

The project scope and timeline may be adjusted because of Covid-19.

The venue will feature various community sports facilities, such as a swimming pool and water sports centre, as well as a new waterfront promenade.

PM Lee noted that when NS recruits complete their Basic Military Training (BMT), they gather their families and friends at the Float and hold their passing out parade there.

Hence, the government will build a gallery there to showcase Singapore's NS story, and honour the contributions of national servicemen past and present.

"NS Square will also be a community space for everyone, young and old, to enjoy", he said.

ns-square-2.thumb.png.71e27d644b8c4ba2a901f206dda18545.png

Replace "SG" with a "H" and it doubles up as a huge helipad 😁

The good thing is that I supposed the graphics can be changed at will, there is room for creativity.

The red/white with big SG wording really doesn't gel with the CBD skyline, it looked cheap if I must say. Have they tried putting in the biggest PAP logo in there? 😂

• Haha! 3

5 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Or spend 800k to design a posh rubbish bin next to the smlj NS Square. But some people are ok with govt splurging money.. im not sure why.. 

Please, give them more dignity, should be $1,000,000 with inflations. 
hope they really do that and we can see EC and Marine Parade with WP in 2025. 

• Haha! 4

8 hours ago, Adrianli said:

My fun times when it was still the old national stadium at Kallang river mouth.:grin:

This must be back in the mid to late 90's!

After Gateway had been built and before Parkview Square had even started construction. 

28 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

This must be back in the mid to late 90's!

After Gateway had been built and before Parkview Square had even started construction. 

No lah. 2010.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Lotr said:

Hope they didn't have to spend 400k to name the place

It's named NS Square. Someone pointed out in ministar FB it's a circle.... 😅

14 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

No lah. 2010.

Oh. Haha can't see Parkview square so assumed this video was taken before that! 

That explains why I could see Citylights condo at the right most side of the video. Was a little confused and thought it must be some other condo. 

12 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Rename for f**k?  Sorry i dont understand it.

Cause it will no longer be a float but a permanent stage. The life of the float aka pontoon should be expiring soon and might have quite a few maintenance issue.

8 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Cause it will no longer be a float but a permanent stage. The life of the float aka pontoon should be expiring soon and might have quite a few maintenance issue.

Theres more to a name than just what it is.   Otherwise why call it a Square?  🤣😂

To me , some names can be left the way they are.   For eg.  Budget Terminal.  

Although its no longer a real Float  but its still “floating” on the water visually.

anyway, thats my take, others will differ.  Wont matter. 

Have a good week

must have activity all year round ... else become white elephant for tourist to take pix only ... [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know

39 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

must have activity all year round ... else become white elephant for tourist to take pix only ... [sly] 

Ok la, every year how many bmt pop? 

↡ Advertisement