27 year old Malaysian save money driving a 21-year-old Proton Saga

RickyWee

Twincharged
5 minutes ago, Josephthm said:

this scenario would be feasible in SG if we don't need to pay for COE every 10 years. I think we could do with major changes in the COE system. 

1. allow 5 yr COE to renew.

2. have a discount rate for renewed COE, eg. 70% of PQP.

3. COE should be allowed to run its course for full 10 years, instead of cutting short whenever COE is renewed. similar to our passport port renewal.

then we may see cars have a longer life span. its really a waste of resources when good cars go to scrap yards prematurely.

any other suggestions? 🙂

let me answer each.

1. LTA lose revenue

2. LTA lose revenue

3. LTA lose revenue

so do you think it will be possible?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

16 hours ago, RickyWee said:

Obviously compared to my similarly aged peers, I look like the sad poor guy who drives an outdated old Proton Saga that his family handed it down to him when others are driving shiny brand new cars with latest technology. Some will even say that I am risking my life because of the poor safety features in this car. Hmm, does that mean that motorcycle riders are battling against life and death daily as they ride out? Or maybe your parents or the older generations are risking their lives too during a few decades ago when they are driving cars like this?

I can't say there is a 100% guarantee in road safety regardless of what car that you are driving but having a nearly empty bank account per month due to high commitments is a guaranteed risk in personal finance management.

While I think it's good that a young man is not splurging unnecessarily on a new car, his self-defeating, self-justification that safety is not important turned his initial 'ownself hero' story into 'ownself zero'....sorri

16 hours ago, Vinceng said:

There's still affordable cars from $3,800 annual dep in good condition, but nobody wants to buy such cars. Because very sia suay (no face).

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=901539&DL=2163

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=883114&DL=1000

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=896090&DL=3521

i used to drive - for almost 4 years until 2012 - a used Hyundai Atos 1.0 M. Depreciation was $2K per year. My colleagues said cheaper than public transport...

• Praise 6

Very sensible and promising 27 year old  guy who got his priority right.

I am very sure he will be a big towkay some day.  By that time, he could easily upgrade to a limousine from the same car company.

proton limo.jpg

• Haha! 8

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Driving old car sure have to do some kind of repair at some point, but yes, as long as it does not have to be repaired  too often , driving old car makes sense to the pocket.

People always perceive driving old car that the car would breakdown suddenly and often on the road? Lol. Actually i think there might be some true? Donkey years ago i have a army friend, bought an old car and we drive to JB, and because traffic jam, the car broke down along the causeway, must come down to pour water into radiator, cool down the car then can continue the journey. [sweatdrop] [laugh]

Edited by 13177

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

let me answer each.

1. LTA lose revenue

2. LTA lose revenue

3. LTA lose revenue

so do you think it will be possible?

Let me add on

1. LTA lose revenue, AD and PI can't sell any new cars, reduce big ticket spending in SG=bad for economy. 

2.  LTA lose revenue, AD and PI can't sell any new cars, reduce big ticket spending in SG=bad for economy. 

3.  LTA lose revenue, AD and PI can't sell any new cars, reduce big ticket spending in SG=bad for economy. 

Any gov scholars who suggested this will surely lose his/her job, so what do u think?

The recent lockdown and the current phase 2 situation is already a good testament why SG biz cannot survive if majority spends prudently. We are a spending economy just like USA. 

Yes most late models cars can easily hang on for over 20 yrs. However just how many owners out there bothers to maintain their cars religiously after year 3-4 ? You often see  junks that are only 6-7 yrs old. 

Yes if you are one of those who can really take care of your car well, it will still look good at the 10th year. But the argument here is that generally, many people do not, and that it just doesn't make any economic/practical sense to plonk 1000s or even 10000s just to repair someone else neglect... 

• Praise 2

59 minutes ago, 13177 said:

People always perceive driving old car that the car would breakdown suddenly and often on the road? Lol. Actually i think there might be some true? Donkey years ago i have a army friend, bought an old car and we drive to JB, and because traffic jam, the car broke down along the causeway, must come down to pour water into radiator, cool down the car then can continue the journey. [sweatdrop] [laugh]

I have been driving old car for a very  long  time, as long as a car is properly maintained, chances of it breaking down on the road will be lower. 

Radiator is one exposure of old cars, but there are tell tale signs that one could do to avoid sudden breakdown. Eg. High temperature on the indicator, radiator cap leak, frequent  overflow of reservoir, minor  radiator gasket leak. If one bothers to open the bonnet once in a while  to check out the mentioned symptom, these  tell tale signs can be easily spotted without needing to be an expert.  Of course, car may still breakdown on the road but less frequent.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

As long as the younger generation have a YOLO attitude, they will not think about saving up. When a major crisis hit, like COVID right now, they will realize that they may not have enough savings to even survive 3 months.

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I have been driving old car for a very  long  time, as long as a car is properly maintained, chances of it breaking down on the road will be lower. 

Radiator is one exposure of old cars, but there are tell tale signs that one could do to avoid sudden breakdown. Eg. High temperature on the indicator, radiator cap leak, frequent  overflow of reservoir, minor  radiator gasket leak. If one bothers to open the bonnet once in a while  to check out the mentioned symptom, these  tell tale signs can be easily spotted without needing to be an expert.  Of course, car may still breakdown on the road but less frequent.

its alway not about old car or new car.

its maintenance.

unless u prepare to change car every 3 years. 

• Praise 2

26 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

That time my friend's car maybe would not breakdown if no traffic jam lo. Lol.

I think sometimes even not old car, it is still a good practise to open bonnet once a while to check. I remember last time i drove one car, the car only about 4 year old but one day car suddenly high temperature on the radiator indicator after a traffic jam, and turned out the radiator hose corroded liao and leaking, but i do not know cause i never open the bonnet to check. [:p]

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 2

You'd be surprised that many car owners don't know where is the latch to open the bonnet. Seen one at customs, the Mercedes bonnet latch was on the passenger side.

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

You'd be surprised that many car owners don't know where is the latch to open the bonnet. Seen one at customs, the Mercedes bonnet latch was on the passenger side.

Last time when i drive MRS, custom ask me open engine bay for them to see.

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

IMO, if can afford for a better car, why not for safety and reliability. The safety part is not just for the car owner, it's all for the pax on board and the other road users too. 

Proton Saga?

After reading this thread over, over and over again,  I think he might want to consider getting a Datsun 120y instead.

A cheap, reliable and mechanically-simple car to travel from point A to point B. There are still aplenty in Malaysia.

I got a 130y during my time.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:49 AM, inlinesix said:

What kind of surprises?

I still love to own E39

At this age, random things from power window servos, to ABS control unit, to flywheel housing to cabin switches to whatsthatthingamajick will say hello now and then.

↡ Advertisement