27 year old Malaysian save money driving a 21-year-old Proton Saga

RickyWee

Its like the Spanish bull runs. You don't have to be the quickest sprinter. You just need to be quicker than the slowest guy to get gored by the angry bull's horns (or the next one after that). 

And so you can either buy a 4k/year sensible Avante that fits your purpose, or go hang yourself on a (dodgy) loan for a spiffy new Mercedes for 3 times that just for the shiokness of face. 

I suspect many people will have the pay the piper soon. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

The featured green Proton Saga is the facelifted version introduced in Singapore in 1993.

Its pre facelifted predecessor was more boxy and was selling like hot cakes in 1991 in S'pore.

The automatic in the 1991 model (below picture) drinks because it comes in a 3 speed auto.

image.png.4460314e13b3fbb9c05358bbbc51bad3.png

This featured facelifted model auto tranny comes in 4 speed auto, is much more fuel efficient, and accepts 92RON, with its 12V engine. 

Put bluntly, the first generation Proton Saga is a rebadged 1985 Mitsubishi Lancer.

These Proton Sagas are trusty workhorses, with minimal electronics.

image.png.181a772db2d5794170b90295f37f997d.png

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

The trust worthy Proton Saga's featured in this video towards the end. It's the same facelifted model featured in this thread - the Aeroback - Proton's term for hatchback.

The video says a lot about society today. It's worth 2 mins of your life watching the entire video, and do some self reflection thereafter.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 6

3 hours ago, Albeniz said:

When I was about that age close to year 2000,  I was driving an old 1982 Nissan Sunny 1.3GL.  Yes, the one with the big black bumper.

No money to buy a purple Lamborghini at age 24.  That time not much internet activities for me to act as an influencer.

At 27, i was taking public transport.  Chambo? 😂

Edited by Voodooman
  • Haha! 2

If the car dont break down or give problem often, if can save money and having a car going to point A to B, i also ok driving such car. 😂

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

The trust worthy Proton Saga's featured in this video towards the end. It's the same facelifted model featured in this thread - the Aeroback - Proton's term for hatchback.

The video says a lot about society today. It's worth 2 mins of your life watching the entire video, and do some self reflection thereafter.

Good video. Indeed this is what most people today behave like in the video. Always busy busy busy and busy. Also dont know busy what?! 😓

Another society problem now is everyone is busy and only interested in looking at their phone. 😩

33 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

At 27, i was taking public transport.  Chambo? 😂

Very cham background.  You can run for election.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

This brings back memories ... my first car was a 3-year-old Proton Saga "Emerald Green" bought with my NS allowances and cost me GBP2995 from a dealer called Arnold Clark. Everything about it was Mitsubishi ... the fuel cap, engine etc. For those of you who remember, the Proton Saga was a replica of the Mitsubishi Lancer model. It was a great car! It served me sooo well for approx 8 years and I foolishly replaced it with a Renault Megane coupe (it was crap!) ... but the poor car had seen better days. I scrapped it for GBP50. The Proton will always have a special place in my wee short motoring history!

• Praise 4

Most probably that guy will be single for very long time

Sometimes u must know how to spend money and u will find ways to earn money. Through buying cars and modding it , one might learn that it's a waste of money and learn a lesson from it. And through modding cars, u might know more friends and expand ur network.

I ever knew ppl who don't want to take risk, want to stay in comfort zone. His life is as boring as his virgin cock.

• Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Albeniz said:

This is one sensible young man all mothers -in-law would like their daughters to married to.

But their daughters might not really want to marry to 🤪

• Haha! 4

7 hours ago, Ake109 said:

Maintenance for this thing can be bag of surprises. Still, nice car. E34 and E39 are still my favourite 5s.

What kind of surprises?

I still love to own E39

10 hours ago, Vinceng said:

The featured green Proton Saga is the facelifted version introduced in Singapore in 1993.

Its pre facelifted predecessor was more boxy and was selling like hot cakes in 1991 in S'pore.

The automatic in the 1991 model (below picture) drinks because it comes in a 3 speed auto.

image.png.4460314e13b3fbb9c05358bbbc51bad3.png

This featured facelifted model auto tranny comes in 4 speed auto, is much more fuel efficient, and accepts 92RON, with its 12V engine. 

Put bluntly, the first generation Proton Saga is a rebadged 1985 Mitsubishi Lancer.

These Proton Sagas are trusty workhorses, with minimal electronics.

image.png.181a772db2d5794170b90295f37f997d.png

My family had one in 1990, well... It provides a simple and reliable point A to B transport safely and it had metal bumpers. Despite being a Proton, which many brand conscious people would give a "lookdown" expression, deep down, it is basically a Mitsubishi which is way value for money than the real deal itself.

Regardless it's a post or pre-facelift, the 1.5 litre had a 3 speed auto that lived on till the WIRA model.

Edited by Heartbreakid

10 hours ago, 13177 said:

If the car dont break down or give problem often, if can save money and having a car going to point A to B, i also ok driving such car. 😂

Driving old car sure have to do some kind of repair at some point, but yes, as long as it does not have to be repaired  too often , driving old car makes sense to the pocket.

• Praise 2

this scenario would be feasible in SG if we don't need to pay for COE every 10 years. I think we could do with major changes in the COE system. 

1. allow 5 yr COE to renew.

2. have a discount rate for renewed COE, eg. 70% of PQP.

3. COE should be allowed to run its course for full 10 years, instead of cutting short whenever COE is renewed. similar to our passport port renewal.

then we may see cars have a longer life span. its really a waste of resources when good cars go to scrap yards prematurely.

any other suggestions? 🙂

↡ Advertisement