Pandafly--drones for food deliveries?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Screenshot_20200813_191334_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.42d1b1d0a1517643961222f65c5a57df.jpgScreenshot_20200813_191401_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.cc078d5c907265f1d8d5cfd3e0480e60.jpg

Screenshot_20200813_192155.thumb.jpg.ebbf98c0429948d02241268e9a71ef58.jpg

Interesting. Innovative but should I be looking out over my head now? Hahaha. In future we will probably have drones delivering food directly to our residence, (no) thanks to COVID-19 the world is now fast forwarding the development of technologies that will enable contactless and seamless services, without the need for human contact. Come to think about it, we're actually quite outdated for a supposedly modern and advanced nation. Read the article for the video on CNA. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/foodpanda-collaborates-st-engineering-on-drone-food-deliveries-13018106

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

It is very dangerous.

If there are too many flying overhead, they collide, it falls and hurt someone. Mechanical equipment can fail at any time. They fall while airborne, it may hurt someone. It may even be fatal. The authorities need a fatality before putting the brakes on this? 

Probably no action will be taken until somebody important, famous, connected is hurt. Please don't let this be a delayed response like PMDs. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Govt would not allow large scale use. These food delivery guys are considered 'employed'. If drones take over their jobs, cant imagine our unemployment rate.

This was what in my mind when I saw the original thread title.

2230836-bigthumbnail.jpg

20190223_LDD001_0.jpg

On a serious note, there must be some framework in place to protect the safety (and security / privacy) of users / customers as well as the general public. These are not small drone but with larger batteries, another potential fire hazard?

And as the operator mentioned during the interview, this should helps to lower delivery cost, so those delivery personnel going to earn lesser or do more delivery for the same pay they are getting now, so more loosing their job soon? 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 6

I find the loading of the food box is dangerous. And for the person to collect also dangerous. They need to come so close to those sharp blades. Why they did not think of auto loading and unloading that does not require human intervention? Just like you see the container boxes in the port being loaded and unloaded by the gantry crane from the ships.

For offshore, ships and landed properties, this is a feasible solution. But for HDB, this method is not feasible.

9 hours ago, Kopites said:

Going to phase out those foot delivery soon?

When I retire can't even do foot delivery anymore? Life is hard.

When retire you can go SS or NTUC to do cashier lo. Hopefully by then cashier job would not get phase out also, and all become self-checkout counter. Lol.

48 minutes ago, 13177 said:

When retire you can go SS or NTUC to do cashier lo. Hopefully by then cashier job would not get phase out also, and all become self-checkout counter. Lol.

Food court got robot. Supermarket got self checkout. Delivery for drone delivery.

Hmmm...

I dunno what's the point of this here. It's idiotic when the number of landed homes here are so little.
In USA where in suburbs everyone has a substantial front lawn or driveway it's fine.

Even for landed here. the terrace houses have a frontage of somewhere around 5-7m. So this thing has an accuracy up to how many meters? That means just off by a bit, it will be dropping your food in your neighbour's porch.

EDIT: HUH, it delivers it to a hub, then rider does last mile delivery? Lol...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Food court got robot. Supermarket got self checkout. Delivery for drone delivery.

Hmmm...

all the foodcourt robots. Parked in corner. 

Go see the WWP foodcourt ones. Lol

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I dunno what's the point of this here. It's idiotic when the number of landed homes here are so little.
In USA where in suburbs everyone has a substantial front lawn or driveway it's fine.

Even for landed here. the terrace houses have a frontage of somewhere around 5-7m. So this thing has an accuracy up to how many meters? That means just off by a bit, it will be dropping your food in your neighbour's porch.

With sonar and IR sensors, you will be surprised how accurate it can be. And with the current obstacle avoidance using imaging, accuracy increased by leaps.

If you add IR sensors at receiver end. It will be precision landing liao. Way better than any manned aircraft.

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

With sonar and IR sensors, you will be surprised how accurate it can be. And with the current obstacle avoidance using imaging, accuracy increased by leaps.

If you add IR sensors at receiver end. It will be precision landing liao. Way better than any manned aircraft.

I just put it this way. All the super impressive guided missile attacks to within few meters are never achieved with just pure sensor technology. 
It's all done with laser targeting on ground by Special Forces. And an explosive warhead has a kill radius of say 25m. So it doesn't even need to be that accurate. 

Ok from fixed point to fixed point It's feasible. So for example, Grab has a central kitchen hub in say Tuas (cheap and ulu). It uses drones to deliver food to a central pickup point near CBD say marina, where riders can deliver the food to all parts of CBD. Fixed point yes, i can see drones working cos of the technology u are saying.

If u are talking about delivering to home where even landed houses only sometimes have a porch frontage that is only slightly wider than 1 room width. Unless guided by local telemetry, difficult to do it with an accuracy that is acceptable to consumers.

So transfer this technology, say mail delivery to say one hub like Biopolis can be done. 

Anyway person to person drone technology is frankly quite creepy haha

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement