Wind30

2 minutes ago, Soya said:

Wah....36k reno for a rental unit. Gonna take a while to break even

small money no out, big money no in ... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:12 AM, Wind30 said:

My sister came to see my Reno and I told her it cost as much as her sofa 🙂 

we bought everything cheap. Our sofa is full leather but cost only $1.6k I think, display set. 

I thought it is really surprising how cheap or expensive u can do it...

Wah your sister use $40k Minotti sofa.  The only person i know who can match is Porker, his B&B italia armchair is $26k.

So high SES. Wow......

On 8/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, Soya said:

Wah....36k reno for a rental unit. Gonna take a while to break even

Considered quite worth it at 36k . 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 8/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, Wind30 said:

I got it rented out at 5.3k/month. Previous rental was $5k but I suspect I will get only $4.3k if I don't do anything. 

Assuming it is 1k delta, the money should pay off in 40 months? 3 years. At the end of 3 years, I end up with a place that is renovated 3 years ago vs a place that is 17 years old.

I THINK the maths work out. We are quite house proud kind of people so we like to do it up nicely. Hopefully, you can attract the same kind of house proud tenant who will treat your place nicely too. 

The nicer you do up, the more you need to maintain later.  Most tenants don't really care especially students and those with kids.

44 minutes ago, awhtc said:

The nicer you do up, the more you need to maintain later.  Most tenants don't really care especially students and those with kids.

I guess all tenants dont really care much and maintain since the house doesnt belong to them. Even some people who own a house also might not maintain the house much. Lol.

Edited by 13177

58 minutes ago, awhtc said:

i think the point is the place cannot be "run down" .... don't have to be luxury but at least "up to date" - else how to demand for higher rental? [sly] 

as bro wind explained ... now can collect $1K more for 36 months ... ROI 100% liao! means the reno is fully paid by the TENANT ... huat ah!

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged
51 minutes ago, awhtc said:

I choose tenants. Current is jap couple no kids. some stuff like sofa will write off. but some reno is very lasting like feature walls, light box, built in furniture. can last easily 10 years or more

@Wind30

Congrats on your project The renovations are not only impressive but you did the right thing by going to a contractor instead of an interior designer. You saved a substantial amount of money. Smart move. The results speak for itself. 

8 hours ago, keechiu said:

@Wind30

Congrats on your project The renovations are not only impressive but you did the right thing by going to a contractor instead of an interior designer. You saved a substantial amount of money. Smart move. The results speak for itself. 

How to differentiate between a contractor and interior designer shop? 

The reno really transformed the house. The colors are elegant and with the decor looks really good! Great job from the your designer and contractor.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:12 AM, Wind30 said:

My sister came to see my Reno and I told her it cost as much as her sofa 🙂 

we bought everything cheap. Our sofa is full leather but cost only $1.6k I think, display set. 

I thought it is really surprising how cheap or expensive u can do it...

Share share where your sister stay leh,  can buy $40k sofa, her house must be $40mil easily

On 12/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, Throttle2 said:

Share share where your sister stay leh,  can buy $40k sofa, her house must be $40mil easily

her place is not 40mil... Her sofa is like closer to $30k than 40k. 

I think people spend money in totally different ways.... as long as she is happy, must her house be $40mil? Maybe she put her sofa inside her HDB 🙂

They really don't have expensive spending over the years...

must be proportional ma ...

when tv show people spent close to $150K reno on a $500K BTO ... 1/3 of the flat cost 

i was like huh [hur] .... 

but also got many people buy a $100K car ... and zheng here zheng there ... overall spent $30K ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement