❤️ What Did You Makan Today? ❤️

BabyBlade

16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

First time I cooked for cny. 

20210212_190004_compress55.jpg

20210212_142140_compress2.jpg

Just had leftovers for lunch. the 卤肉 shiok sia. Its bit sweet with a hint of vinegar. Not heavy tasting. 

My sis didn't like it cos she says prefer salty. 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I see it looks good. The layer looks beautiful. The best one i had was diana in batam

Cake Lapis has to be abit moist ie not too dry. Trouble is some are oily but they claim it’s moist. In short, there are a lot of Cake Lapis being sold which frankly is not up to standard. There is also a lot of debate going on between Indonesian Cake Lapis which is supposedly the birthplace of this cake vs Singapore made Cake Lapis. The locals of each country will say theirs is better, i know which one you will say is better😋😁

• Praise 7

5 minutes ago, Spring said:

Cake Lapis has to be abit moist ie not too dry. Trouble is some are oily but they claim it’s moist. In short, there are a lot of Cake Lapis being sold which frankly is not up to standard. There is also a lot of debate going on between Indonesian Cake Lapis which is supposedly the birthplace of this cake vs Singapore made Cake Lapis. The locals of each country will say theirs is better, i know which one you will say is better😋😁

I used to love kueh lapis as a boy. I have to say the best one I ever had is one given by my patient who's an Indonesian Chinese grandma. 

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I see it looks good. The layer looks beautiful. The best one i had was diana in batam

This is the first time I had Kuey Lapis which is not too oily and less moist. But the taste is somewhat less flavourful than those commercial one, but over all about 8/10.

I think I tried the Batam one before, and yes, it taste different from what we can get here and from Malaysia. 

2 hours ago, Spring said:

Different baker has different style. I used to get mine from Malaysia - Lavender, which is the moist type you mentioned, but more flavorful, probably because of dried fruits added (Cranberry or Prune).

Also tried home bake one from East Malaysia, which is drier and has stronger flavours, but almost all are quite oily.

For me, a good Lapis must be flavorful and able to taste the layers. And after trying numerous one each year, I personally find the one from East Malaysia the best.

• Praise 9

4 hours ago, Spring said:

The one that many ppl bring back home from batam i find it too oily.

diana just nice. Too bad cannot deliver to sg lol

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

From Medan the best should be Zulaikha right? Saw many carry by boxes in airport last time.

• Praise 1

Dinner - Prata from shop house along Simpang Bedok 😋😋😋😋

20210213_194852_resize_23.jpg.d8bce1b308ef3713c3ed0c29fb546b88.jpg

20210213_194929_resize_47.jpg.2da771809fe4cdb555f72643bb5a7556.jpg

20210213_194551_resize_72.jpg.aa9b1e724d23718141ce2921c0cdbf36.jpg

Another neighbour passed this fruit cake to us earlier. Moist and rich except not enough alcohol 🤭😋😋😋

20210213_151316_resize_82.jpg.3dd2899fc2e87cb5b6192fa1ce08a8c0.jpg

20210213_151352_resize_13.jpg.6f8b5300c2900b64e9c90e85fac96df8.jpg

20210213_152139_resize_32.jpg.0e43b3125c2504f3907c44970027bcd1.jpg

20210213_152119_resize_85.jpg.f865a3e29794451bd675a46b793b7d5d.jpg

Have a good night's rest. Take care 

Cheers 

• Praise 16

3 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I've tried Diana and La Moist from Batam. These are probably the two most popular brands there with Singaporeans, purely due to their network of stalls in malls. Both hv choice of normal or premium (real butter used). However my favourite there is from a smaller seller called "baby2" (baby-baby). Not sure if they are still around. Been a few years since I was there.

I've also tried many from Jakarta, including the well-known Holland Bakery. I still find the ones from small home-run businesses better. My friend's neighbour sells awesome Lapis Legit from their home, as well as Lapis Surabaya, which I tend to prefer. Prices are jaw-dropping though...

5 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Different baker has different style. I used to get mine from Malaysia - Lavender, which is the moist type you mentioned, but more flavorful, probably because of dried fruits added (Cranberry or Prune).

I like Lavender too, esp at the price point - less than half price of those good ones from indo. I sometimes buy it for CNY guests [lipsrsealed]

the indo ones also hv options for cranberry or prune. Personally I tend to prefer the normal ones. I tell myself the dried fruits are full of sugar which make the cake (even more) unhealthy [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6