LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB - 2020/21 Defending The Title

Picnic06-Biante15

Shef Utd getting desperate.

Can increase Brewster's fee by another 5 million.

:grin:

Brewster is a like a lifebuoy to a drowning man.

image.thumb.png.18dfe5573cf169eccf61f4058958e190.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

i remember pools got a golden period. robbin fowler owen, mcmanaman collymore.  etc etc, but that period man u was too over overwhelming not to mention asn . 

That was during Roy Evans time but he was promoted from Boot room... maybe unable to attract good players from outside... his team play exciting attacking football.... playing in a 5-3-2 formation with wing backs... Rob Jones, Mcateer, Bjornebye.. if you ask me, quite similar to today's set up just that one of the central defender should step up into midfield and the attacking mid will become the false nine.. We had Barnes, Redknapp, Mcmanaman, Michael Thomas sharing the three slots in midfield... defence a bit weak i would say... John Scale, Phil babb, Matteo, Wright, Ruddock...

Last week Thiago made his debut and we saw how good he is.

Today we saw Jota make his debut and also saw how good he is.

In 10 mins he could have had 3 goals.

One he put into side netting with only the keeper to beat.

Another Salah tackled him when he was going to shoot.

Third effort he scored.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Raymondism said:

You must be talking about Souness who signed Nigel Clough. It was said that he turned down Peter Schmeichel opted for David James to replace Grobbelaar. He was offered Eric Cartona but decided not to take him. He bought Dean Saunders, sold him and sign Paul Stewart. Double Faint. He also bought Mark Walters , David James, Julian Dicks, Neil Ruddock and Mark Wright. It was a classic case of having too many old players and he needed to replace them with younger ones. He did that literally but with the wrong ones. The team he assembled would have dominated the Scottish league for years! Well, to be fair to him, he almost give his life for Liverpool. He had to undergo heart surgery during his reign i think. 

He actually signed someone like Keane: Neil Ruddock. Neil Ruddock left Andy Cole with two broken legs in a reserve game. Ruddock said that he did not mean to break both legs.

What he meant was: he only wanted to break one of Cole's leg. I hope he only meant it as a joke. 

But he buy rob jones, my fav liverpool RB. N play GOD. The only good he has done 🤣

dicks was knowned as the best left back out there. Wright and ruddock were ok. Paul stewart and mark walters quite chuiz. Did he release beardsley or KK? That was one hell of a mistake. Saunders in my opinion did ok. Of course lose to Cantona’s impact

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Oh it was Souness? Good captain but lousy manager. Pool going downhill and had to wait 30 yr to win the title again, was attributed to his bad management, right?

I feel its a bit of both him and the whole team growing old together at the same time + emergence of manure with new found premier lge riches.

we were runned like a family. Manure was run like a corporation. We took 30 yrs to catch up

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Vegas said:

But he buy rob jones, my fav liverpool RB. N play GOD. The only good he has done 🤣

dicks was knowned as the best left back out there. Wright and ruddock were ok. Paul stewart and mark walters quite chuiz. Did he release beardsley or KK? That was one hell of a mistake. Saunders in my opinion did ok. Of course lose to Cantona’s impact

Rob Jones my favourite RB too.

Too bad injury ended his career early.

I still remember Giggs always had a quiet game when RJ played.

• Praise 3

44 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Rob Jones my favourite RB too.

Too bad injury ended his career early.

I still remember Giggs always had a quiet game when RJ played.

if only Ryan's brother had hire Rob Jones to be his wife's chasity guard 😜

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

35 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Imo and to be fair to Souness, Saunders was very good as a second striker and was from Wales. By right, he will be an ideal strike partner for Rush but his Liverpool career never took off. His replacement Paul Stewart was a goal scoring midfielder with Spurs and was beginning to shine in England. Hardworking but not skilful enough and probably wrong fit to be a creative forward. Those were the creative forward days during Roberto Baggio era where you partner a Creative player with a clinical goalscorer. 

I dont think Beardsley was still around. Beardsley was with us for only a few years. Who is KK? Dalglish? Dalglish was player manager and he quit after 1990. 

I cant remember anything about Julian Dicks. But to sell homegrown leftback David Burrows to Westham and get Dicks is weird if you ask me. Souness was very successful in Scotland and won a few scottish title in very short period. Maybe thats why he only sign hardman as defenders. Ruddock was a hard man and probably not classy enough. All his defenders can break legs with the exception of Mark Wright. Mark Wright was, after all, England's star in 1990 WC. He was Souness version of VVD / Hansen but was injury prone. Mark Wright was probably the first sweeper England had. 

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

I feel its a bit of both him and the whole team growing old together at the same time + emergence of manure with new found premier lge riches.

we were runned like a family. Manure was run like a corporation. We took 30 yrs to catch up

The team was old but can probably function at high level for another couple of seasons. 

Souness cant get along with the likes of Steve Mcmahon, Hougton, etc. Read somewhere that Mark Wright was one of the problems. Mark Wright was from Derby County but came with a huge fee and high wages. Many senior players were feeling unfair that Wright was paid more despite not winning anything yet. Souness also felt that he needed more hardmen in the team. 

1 hour ago, Raymondism said:

Imo and to be fair to Souness, Saunders was very good as a second striker and was from Wales. By right, he will be an ideal strike partner for Rush but his Liverpool career never took off. His replacement Paul Stewart was a goal scoring midfielder with Spurs and was beginning to shine in England. Hardworking but not skilful enough and probably wrong fit to be a creative forward. Those were the creative forward days during Roberto Baggio era where you partner a Creative player with a clinical goalscorer. 

I dont think Beardsley was still around. Beardsley was with us for only a few years. Who is KK? Dalglish? Dalglish was player manager and he quit after 1990. 

I cant remember anything about Julian Dicks. But to sell homegrown leftback David Burrows to Westham and get Dicks is weird if you ask me. Souness was very successful in Scotland and won a few scottish title in very short period. Maybe thats why he only sign hardman as defenders. Ruddock was a hard man and probably not classy enough. All his defenders can break legs with the exception of Mark Wright. Mark Wright was, after all, England's star in 1990 WC. He was Souness version of VVD / Hansen but was injury prone. Mark Wright was probably the first sweeper England had. 

KK is King Kenny 😜

Peter Beardsley

Carlisle United (1977-81),Vancouver Whitecaps (1981-82), Carlisle United (loan 1981-82),

Manchester United (1982-83),

Vancouver Whitecaps (2 / 1983), Newcastle United (1983-87),

Liverpool (1987 -91)

Everton (1991-93), Newcastle United (2 / 1993-97),

Graeme Souness took over and it soon became apparent Beardsley wasn't to his liking. Souness spent a then-record £2.9million fee on Dean Saunders from Derby County in July 1991 which prompted Everton, who intended to sign Saunders, to go for their second choice, Peter Beardsley, for one-third of Saunders' fee. Everton cherished Beardsley for two years where he played 95 games and scored 32 goals and proved that Liverpool sure could have used his talents in Souness' regime. A personal highlight for Beardsley was when he returned to Anfield for his first game in a Blues' shirt on 31 August 1991: "Just before the game the Kop chanted my name and I don't suppose that's happened too many times, an Everton player getting his name chanted by the Kop. But during the game, with Liverpool winning, the crowd started to chant, 'What a waste of talent!' The Kop were a bit special to me on that day and I won't ever forget it."

In July 1993 Beardsley rejoined his beloved Newcastle where manager Kevin Keegan was a big admirer of his considerable talents. Newcastle had just been promoted to the Premier League after winning the First Division. Beardsley played brilliantly and scored 25 goals in all competitions to go along with Andy Cole's 41 as the Magpies finished third. Newcastle finished sixth the following year and were pipped to the title by Manchester United after dropping a twelve-point lead in the 1995/96 season. Beardsley's disappointment was made even greater when he was axed from England's European Championship squad. Dalglish took over at Newcastle mid-season and the club had to settle again for second best in the League. Beardsley brought his second spell at St James' Park to an end in August 1997, at 36 years of age, having added 157 games and 56 goals to bring his total for Newcastle to 321 games and 117 goals.

• Praise 3

37 minutes ago, Vegas said:

KK is King Kenny 😜

Peter Beardsley

Carlisle United (1977-81),Vancouver Whitecaps (1981-82), Carlisle United (loan 1981-82),

Manchester United (1982-83),

Vancouver Whitecaps (2 / 1983), Newcastle United (1983-87),

Liverpool (1987 -91)

Everton (1991-93), Newcastle United (2 / 1993-97),

Graeme Souness took over and it soon became apparent Beardsley wasn't to his liking. Souness spent a then-record £2.9million fee on Dean Saunders from Derby County in July 1991 which prompted Everton, who intended to sign Saunders, to go for their second choice, Peter Beardsley, for one-third of Saunders' fee. Everton cherished Beardsley for two years where he played 95 games and scored 32 goals and proved that Liverpool sure could have used his talents in Souness' regime. A personal highlight for Beardsley was when he returned to Anfield for his first game in a Blues' shirt on 31 August 1991: "Just before the game the Kop chanted my name and I don't suppose that's happened too many times, an Everton player getting his name chanted by the Kop. But during the game, with Liverpool winning, the crowd started to chant, 'What a waste of talent!' The Kop were a bit special to me on that day and I won't ever forget it."

In July 1993 Beardsley rejoined his beloved Newcastle where manager Kevin Keegan was a big admirer of his considerable talents. Newcastle had just been promoted to the Premier League after winning the First Division. Beardsley played brilliantly and scored 25 goals in all competitions to go along with Andy Cole's 41 as the Magpies finished third. Newcastle finished sixth the following year and were pipped to the title by Manchester United after dropping a twelve-point lead in the 1995/96 season. Beardsley's disappointment was made even greater when he was axed from England's European Championship squad. Dalglish took over at Newcastle mid-season and the club had to settle again for second best in the League. Beardsley brought his second spell at St James' Park to an end in August 1997, at 36 years of age, having added 157 games and 56 goals to bring his total for Newcastle to 321 games and 117 goals.

Wow Beardsley only spent 4yrs in Liverpool. You were right. Souness was the one who sold Beardsley. Souness dismantled the title winning team. Surely Souness will know not to make wholesale changes to his team right. Why did he do that? Was thinking maybe he need to raise money by selling old players. But I guess he spent more money than what he recouped from selling. 

Googled abit and found this name:Torben Piechnik

Never knew that we had such a player under Souness.

Edited by Raymondism
  • Praise 2

Even the goal post is dis-infected

Trival - The match was moved 15 minutes earlier to cater to the UK gov directive that pubs must close at 10pm.

If you noticed the jota 88' goal, time scored was  21:49, good to see 10 player group hug to celebrate the  debutant's goal

Edited by Cauldron
  • Praise 1

Morgan was touted as the next big thing from the academy... scoring goals for fun... played alongside the likes of Gerrard and Suarez then released on a free. Iirc, he played in a youth competition in Singapore together with Jordan Ibe, Samil Yesil, Jack Dunn and Brad Smith. I think only Ibe had a decent spell in the senior squad. The rest never made it to the first team. 

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Jota 10 minutes 1 goal.

Werner 3 games no goals.

We sign the right player.

In a way u are right.

jota is epl proven, but his limitation is there. i doubt he will reach a higher level.

werner is for the future. hoping with some more experience and training, he can reach the highest level.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2