LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB - 2020/21 Defending The Title

Picnic06-Biante15

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

How can a linesman, a ref, a video guy all miss the bloody obvious foul. You can be half blind and still see it. 

I mean getting scissored tackle comes with the risk of getting on the field. But it's supposed to be a f**king red for a reason. U either break ankles or you twist the knee and tear ligaments. 

I think we all can see that the standard of refereeing is not very good. I think the referee was also not consistent and reacts differently to two high tackle incidents. Needless to say, VAR is very convenient but it should be called for only when the referee has a doubt.  

↡ Advertisement

Carra defends Pickford. Certain things happen in the heat of the moment. Especially when the stake are so high. I do not believe pickford targeted anyone.  

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/carragher-pickford-van-dijk-liverpool-22866723

Good things I saw in the match.

Return of hendo, and he offered more protection on the right. Although TAA has to take some blame for allowing Digne to cross then Gomez for losing Lewin.

Tiago shows enough creative spark that added on another dimension to our play. We need more intelligent passes for all the willing speedster up front.

Jota needs to play/train with the front three in different combination more to better the understanding, think i saw an instance when JOta and another player git in each other way again.

Robinson needs to control a bit of his instinct to bomb forward too much and too high. Although it is a great asset to have in times, it does not help that our CB are not the fastest in the world, and Adrian is not a sweeper/keeper.

Better game for Adrian, got ball just pump up, no extra short passes, did not over expose his weakness. Go safe. 

Lastly wish VVD a speedy recovery, Ajax beckons...  

Edited by Cauldron
  • Praise 1

Unlikely vvd will feature this season again. Feel no need to rush him back. 

We have 2 fit CBs until Jan comes. Klopp has to buy another for sure. 

I think the team has to change the way it plays.. No more highline and perhaps play with 3 CB formation. Defense is the foundation of the team. We can't depend on front 3 to outscore opponents every game. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

VD need surgery. Likely season over for him.

Gutted. 

He has been playing non-stop... not coming off even when we were a few goals up... hope he come back stronger...

• Praise 2
  • Angry 1

29 minutes ago, Fooblack said:

Unlikely vvd will feature this season again. Feel no need to rush him back. 

We have 2 fit CBs until Jan comes. Klopp has to buy another for sure. 

I think the team has to change the way it plays.. No more highline and perhaps play with 3 CB formation. Defense is the foundation of the team. We can't depend on front 3 to outscore opponents every game. 

3 CB will change our shape drastically and we only have 3 CBs: Gomez, Matip and Nat Phillips.

Maybe a 4-2-1-3 with one of the DM ready to cover? But we need 2 of the 3 midfielders we field against Everton. Wijnaldum can also fill in for double pivot but not sure whether worth it to "convert" him.

Maybe the solution is to have all 3 forwards firing... Firminho will be under more pressure...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Looks like we cant use our first choice mf of fabino, thiago and henderson too much 😡

Fabino need to be on emergency CB duties. 

think Klopp need to pull the defensive line backwards...

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cauldron said:

Carra defends Pickford. Certain things happen in the heat of the moment. Especially when the stake are so high. I do not believe pickford targeted anyone.  

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/carragher-pickford-van-dijk-liverpool-22866723

Return of hendo, and he offered more protection on the right. Although TAA has to take some blame for allowing Digne to cross then Gomez for losing Lewin.

Tiago shows enough creative spark that added on another dimension to our play. We need more intelligent passes for all the willing speedster up front.

Jota needs to play/train with the front three in different combination more to better the understanding, think i saw an instance when JOta and another player git in each other way again.

Robinson needs to control a bit of his instinct to bomb forward too much and too high. Although it is a great asset to have in times, it does not help that our CB are not the fastest in the world, and Adrian is not a sweeper/keeper.

Better game for Adrian, got ball just pump up, no extra short passes, did not over expose his weakness. Go safe. 

Robbo has been playing more like a winger since Chelsea game... maybe its due to the good work from Mane... i hope teams are not deliberately allowing Robbo to push higher to oblige our CBs covering more to the left and leaving the pacific ocean between TAA and Gomez empty for aircraft carrier to go in. 

Adrian was ok except for not able to stop the header for going in. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Looks like we cant use our first choice mf of fabino, thiago and henderson too much 😡

Fabino need to be on emergency CB duties. 

think Klopp need to pull the defensive line backwards...

Klopp's dilemma: to sacrifice his strongest midfield to beef up defence or to maintain his best counter pressing formation to protect the defence. 

2 hours ago, Cauldron said:

Pickford is just a player who's like a bull in China shop type. In summary, he's dumb. Not the brightest bulb in the shop. 

No one is saying he intentionally want to hurt vvd. But the way he does his tackle is x rated. And it's not the first time he has done it.

In any other match its a clear red. And he needs to be punished. At least to make it clear to this guy who's lacking a few iq points to not endanger other players NEEDLESSLY. 

And the commentators are bit favoring the British cos he's England no. 1 now. U think if its kepa, would he get a free pass? No.... 

I don't see any other gks endangering other players? Yeah maybe sometimes get red cos they do Deliberate foul or bring down the striker bearing down on goal. 

What do we do with people who break the rules of the game? We punish them. It doesn't matter hand on heart they are children of saints. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

I feel for vvd. I worry that's the end of EPL for him. He won't be the same player when he comes back after ACL surgery, especially for a centre back in the world's toughest, most physical league.

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Everyone is looking at the joker ref. I believe the linesman is also culpable. The whole refereeing team should be punished. 

This is not about the result cos thats already finalised. How can u come out with some bull that you reviewed a penalty claim but dismissed it cos its offside and not review the dangerous element of the tackle. 

Player safety should come first no?

For example, A high tackle across the neck of any rugby player is straight red. Whether accidental or not. Sometimes u can see on the pitch is that it's not really Deliberate but it's cos the way the height difference and the way u approach the ball. But the rugby ref rules that cos even though u are a full head taller than the other guy, its your fault u didn't go down low enough. Cos that is player safety as first priority. 

Correct. Bring it to extreme, if that tackle had broken the knee of a let's say Messi, 10 yr ago, and his career ended. Then nothing out to be done also?

Then Roy Keane is really stupid man... got ban for the tackle, should have found a chance for Haaland to be offside then lunge in lah...

This bloody stupidiest of referees should have license revoke lah. What for spoil the multi-billion industry to have such idiots around...

• Praise 1

30 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Hmm, we need a Ramos vs Pickford... [laugh]

Ramos deliberately does it. Pickford is... U can't blame an idiot for being an idiot right? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Cauldron said:

i agree with @Lala81

Carra is a pundit, so will try to say more things to justify his job -- who doesn't?

And that Prickford is English no. 1 -- just shows far low down has English goalkeeping become... If we thought Davi James at almost 40 still being no. 1 was bad, just look at this prick and other options now. Even loanee also can be considered for England, what more can we say...

And given this dire circumstances, of course will cut him some slack. But being a professional player, doing such tackle that can potentially finish another fellow professional's career, he should be ashamed of himself. What the F he feels if someone does that to him, intentionally or not? There is no excuse. He needs to be punished, and seriously too!

Those bloody idiot referees responsible should be, too. If the ref didn't see, then the VAR a-hole should be removed -- and temporary is not good enough.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Correct. Bring it to extreme, if that tackle had broken the knee of a let's say Messi, 10 yr ago, and his career ended. Then nothing out to be done also?

Then Roy Keane is really stupid man... got ban for the tackle, should have found a chance for Haaland to be offside then lunge in lah...

This bloody stupidiest of referees should have license revoke lah. What for spoil the multi-billion industry to have such idiots around...

In the past, any offside will be called straight away.. now they let play go on.. so its a bit different. 

39 minutes ago, Karoon said:

I feel for vvd. I worry that's the end of EPL for him. He won't be the same player when he comes back after ACL surgery, especially for a centre back in the world's toughest, most physical league.

Actually I have the same feeling. Just look at Ox... 

the demands of the modern game, and especially EPL, and even more so for a Klopp team, makes it a really really tough challenge for him when he's back...

I think Klopp will have to look around for another domineering CB or two, with a view to replacing VVD too... Just too bad that Gomez doesn't seem to be working out... That Koumetio or something... dunno got hope or not. If not, then will have to spend big money again...

and i thought AV game had used up all our bad luck for the season. Now it's getting worse... Both our 'Transformers' that helped us dominate for the last 2 seasons, are now injured... set us back to the 2017 period... 😰

• Praise 1

Let's not be too downcast and go into doomsday scenario's planning.  There were many players who recovered from ACL and play like before. There are many factors at play so we should hold our horses.  We should give VVD the max time to recover, even if it means that he wont play again this season.  

The immediate is to look at our squad and plan on life this season without him. At least until Jan, the team has to change the way it defends. We cant play highline so the team needs to adapt.  Both Gomez and Matip are unlikely to play all games from now till Jan week in week out.  

Thats why I advocate a transition system whereby Klopp switches to a back 3 so that he can play other players as one of 3 center backs. Players like Fabinho, Henderson and even one of the youth players can slot in. 

Matip has only played 11 games last season. we did to do our math.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1