LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB - 2020/21 Defending The Title

Picnic06-Biante15

2 hours ago, Joseph22 said:

My only concern is VVD injury. Will he remain the same player or not. Cause he not young anymore.

He wont be the same... he definitely will get older..

On a serious note: No.. i dun think he will be the same. Even if he can still perform, we need to sign back up CBs liao... since Klopp doesnt trust the youngsters...we still need an Upamecano plus a Ben White... someone in his twenties..since Matip is useful for only a few games every season and Gomez needs major servicing every season..

Edited by Raymondism
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

the talk is that we actually do not need 1 more CB... we actually need 2.

Look at City.. last season same situation as us. Ferandinho ended playing as the makeshift CB for the entire season when Laporte was out.  City went out to splash the cash on 2 good CBs and look at their strength in depth now.  With the pressure no longer on the back line, John Stones looks like the 50M CB again.  

Typically CBs only fully peak in their mid-late twenties.  We cant be playing young CBs around 20-23 and expect them to play like the top class CBs.  The only realistic pipeline is Gomez but his injury record is equally bad. The likes of Rhys Williams would take at least another 3-5 years to come good. He is only 19. 

• Praise 2

i think there are many factors involved...

We need a ball playing CB and preferably can spray long passes... and the CBs also need to provide an attacking presence during corner kicks

Which decent CB will wanna come... knowing he could be 3rd choice CB or worse, 4th choice CB once all the CBs are back from injury? Lovren obviously didnt like it. 

Other clubs must be willing to sell and knowing that we have 3 injured senior CBs with the rest either youth or considered not good enough or suitable by Klopp, they will probably ask for a premium...

The squad can only take certain number of "foreign" players in the team.. Thats why we were trying to remove either Shaqiri or Grujic from the squad

Ultimately, FSG must decide whether to risk not finishing in top four against spending money

Even if FSG agree to finance the buy, we need to find a suitable CB

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Si4dr said:

Who don't want/agree to sign CB?  Klopp or FSG ? Probably later.....

Too many reason Liao. Covid likely delay their plan too. Like what @Raymondism say, our requirement of a CB isn’t easy to find

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Brexit. 

Understand that brexit doesn’t really affect football club. But seriously hard to find new target. Plus everyone know we need CB. 

• Praise 1

we used to have the same argument/debate as which top forward would wish to come to Pool given our front 3 are unequalled.  When Jota was signed, he was looking like a squad investment for the future.  We couldn't see how the pecking order front 3 will be disturbed. How wrong we have been and the fact that we can't wait for Jota to be fit again esp in this lean period is a testament of some of these assumptions. 

Likewise for the CB pairing. TBH, VVD is the only true WC CB and anyone who plays alongside him as the CB would also look like a rolls-royce of a CB.  So, we shouldn't be too stuck on the assumption that the next CB wont come in to be the back up or squad player.  Gomez and MAtip have very poor fitness records so the next CB could be the next Hyppia or Henchoz who are almost fit all the time and if so, Klopp will be keen to rely on him for most games than the uncertain Gomez and Matip.    

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Joseph22 said:

Understand that brexit doesn’t really affect football club. But seriously hard to find new target. Plus everyone know we need CB. 

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-brexit-will-affect-premier-league-football/cwp6p3hhmuxx119cm1syhwyi2

😄For Premier League clubs, particularly those at the top end, dealing in the transfer market is a key consideration in the pursuit of success, but any restrictions on the free movement of people arising from Brexit would inevitably create problems.

After Brexit, it is possible that footballers from EU countries - Germany, France or Spain, say - who are wanted by the likes of Manchester United or Arsenal may be treated in the same way as non-EU or European Economic Area (EEA) footballers currently are.

That means they will have to satisfy certain criteria or receive an exemption in order obtain a work permit, which would then allow them to work in the UK as employees of a football club.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Kopites said:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-brexit-will-affect-premier-league-football/cwp6p3hhmuxx119cm1syhwyi2

😄For Premier League clubs, particularly those at the top end, dealing in the transfer market is a key consideration in the pursuit of success, but any restrictions on the free movement of people arising from Brexit would inevitably create problems.

After Brexit, it is possible that footballers from EU countries - Germany, France or Spain, say - who are wanted by the likes of Manchester United or Arsenal may be treated in the same way as non-EU or European Economic Area (EEA) footballers currently are.

That means they will have to satisfy certain criteria or receive an exemption in order obtain a work permit, which would then allow them to work in the UK as employees of a football club.

I remember reading some article that say, EPL can avoid this. Anyway until it happen non of our concern plus at least we have more younger key Uk player then other club

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Joseph22 said:

I remember reading some article that say, EPL can avoid this. Anyway until it happen non of our concern plus at least we have more younger key Uk player then other club

On one hand I don't want the club to stick it neck on chopping board. On the hand we do need a CB.

How about getting another DM ?😄

Ignore me. I am talking shit here.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

On one hand I don't want the club to stick it neck on chopping board. On the hand we do need a CB.

that DM is a CB in disguise? lol 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

Why not get both.🤣🤣

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Kopites said:

Another Fabinho is perfect. Just dun put Hendo there... we need to revamp the midfield as well since Gini is leaving and the younger ones are either too fragile or deemed not good enough

Edited by Raymondism

7 hours ago, Joseph22 said:

Why not get both.🤣🤣

I think we can afford to recruit another forward + AM + DM + CB + GK... only if Edwards able to fiind suitable and available candidates.. while its possible that a newcomer can usurp the place of a current 1st XI, we will be cashing out the entire first team if its that easy. 

Just find another 10 great signings like Jota and at the same time unearth a younger and better manager... we will certainly be fine.. 

• Praise 1

It's becoming frustrating to watch our play. Everytime we just wait and wait and pass sideways until the entire opposition is back in position defending, even when we win the ball near their penalty area! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1