CK Tangs is damm stupid to disallow malay promoters wearing headscarf

Jusnel

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/discrimination-has-no-place-spore-society-says-president-halimah-tangs-allow-staff?cid=telegram_tg-single_social-free_26012019_today

I lost my respect for Tangs, as being one of the oldest department store business in Singapore

Is Tangs also saying malay and other races wearing religious attire cannot enter the store as customers?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

I lost my respect for Tangs, as being one of the oldest department store business in Singapore

Is Tangs also saying malay and other races wearing religious attire cannot enter the store as customers?

dun know which idiot in tang give the go ahead. 

Just now, Lala81 said:

Err i thought, u couldn't wear tudung in civil service not very long ago

Our President is still wearing her headscarf from her first govt position to President position.  She not part of civil service?

And u look at MOE schools, those muslim teachers, how many are wearing headscarf? Every single one..... 

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

dun know which idiot in tang give the go ahead. 

Because of these cina biz man, that's why there are saying that Singapore is not ready for non Chinese PM. they cannot accept other races due to "non professionalism"

Just now, Jusnel said:

Because of these cina biz man, that's why there are saying that Singapore is not ready for non Chinese PM. they cannot accept other races due to "non professionalism"

i wont want to jump so fast  as cina biz man give the go ahead. they change their stand at once when its make known,

the top boss might be a cina biz man, but the  management could be any 1.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Our President is still wearing her headscarf from her first govt position to President position.  She not part of civil service?

And u look at MOE schools, those muslim teachers, how many are wearing headscarf? Every single one..... 

I'm saying that the landscape wasn't too different just a decade ago. From my observation in the past, many govt workers couldn't wear a headscarf at work for years.
Whether it's a formal or informal rule i dunno. Have to ask someone who's Muslim and remembers.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I'm saying that the landscape wasn't too different just a decade ago. From my observation in the past, many govt workers couldn't wear a headscarf at work for years.
Whether it's a formal or informal rule i dunno. Have to ask someone who's Muslim and remembers.

I couldn't rem this policy coz I have been seeing civil servants wearing headscarf for as long as I rem since young.  Unless it's for safety or operational reasons, they shld not be denied this right. 

Tangs problem is they ban it due to professionalism reason. This one sure kena left right centre because they are indirectly saying our President is not professional in her duty as the President?  Can they prove that our President is not professional in her job?

If they dare to admit this repercussion, then good luck to them.

9 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

I couldn't rem this policy coz I have been seeing civil servants wearing headscarf for as long as I rem since young.  Unless it's for safety or operational reasons, they shld not be denied this right. 

Tangs problem is they ban it due to professionalism reason. This one sure kena left right centre because they are indirectly saying our President is not professional in her duty as the President?  Can they prove that our President is not professional in her job?

If they dare to admit this repercussion, then good luck to them.

10 years plus ago, pretty sure I've never saw a Malay nurse wearing headscarf at work before. Not even the ward clerks IIRC.
They will only wear their tudung after work. 

Now i believe some of them do, the ones at the hospital i go visit. But then they are SOC staff. 
Maybe in other services they do. So to me, not wearing scarf at work is just the norm back then. 

I have no idea what the Tangs issue is about. I'm just commenting on it doesn't seem that long ago. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

10 years plus ago, pretty sure I've never saw a Malay nurse wearing headscarf at work before. Not even the ward clerks IIRC.
They will only wear their tudung after work. 

Now i believe some of them do, the ones at the hospital i go visit. But then they are SOC staff. 
Maybe in other services they do. So to me, not wearing scarf at work is just the norm back then. 

I have no idea what the Tangs issue is about. I'm just commenting on it doesn't seem that long ago. 

Hospitals could be due to operational reasons or its hindrance to the work. 

Not sure of it. I rem MOE malay teachers had been wearing tudung for as far as I can rem

Similarly do those muslim girls in sec school wear tudung other than those in madrasah? I don't believe I've met a non-tertiary student wearing tudung with a school uniform.
They wear after school hours for sure. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My ex colleague just asked me to sign an online petition for her. The petition is addressed to SATS.... Asking for frontline muslim staff to be allowed to wear the hijab also. 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/govts-stance-tudung-issue-evolving-says-pm-lee

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/allowing-hijab-problematic-some-jobs-yaacob

https://mothership.sg/2017/04/minister-masagos-and-wps-faisal-clashed-over-the-tudung-issue-in-parliament/

want to know what’s the general stance in Singapore and if we are evolving, simple google search will produce many results.

for a private organization, it is up to them what dress code is acceptable, similarly we can choose not to patronize. so in the near future, we going to expect hooters staff to wear Tudung? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Err i thought, u couldn't wear tudung in civil service not very long ago

That's right....actually it is no tudung for frontline public service positions and certain uniform groups. It has been around for a long time.

There is an article here which address this issue somewhat by the gov back in 2014 when the same issue was being brought up

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/govts-stance-tudung-issue-evolving-says-pm-lee

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 2

Don't see how wearing hijab is an issue.

Anyway, it's resolved. Even if Tangs was wrong, they corrected that error.

The entire matter is publicised for others to review their own policies as well. 

If you are still feeling hurt then I wish you a speedy recovery.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3