kidney patient die after routine day surgery

Wind30

Turbocharged

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/kidney-patient-dies-ttsh-catheter-insertion-procedure-dialysis-13055912

I wonder how do you find good doctors other than through word of mouth... There is no central databases that track outcomes of surgery performed in Singapore by various doctors.

I think patients should be followed up by an independent body and outcomes measured and stored for people to review. Do the public health service do that for doctors performance review? I wonder how do doctors in public hospitals get reviewed every year. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/kidney-patient-dies-ttsh-catheter-insertion-procedure-dialysis-13055912

I wonder how do you find good doctors other than through word of mouth... There is no central databases that track outcomes of surgery performed in Singapore by various doctors.

I think patients should be followed up by an independent body and outcomes measured and stored for people to review. Do the public health service do that for doctors performance review? I wonder how do doctors in public hospitals get reviewed every year. 

Did you editorialize and add the word "routine" into the title?

I've always heard that any surgery will have danger - some less and some more. Don't think it is routine.

• Praise 3

There's always risks involved in any procedure.  My late dad had this procedure done by a surgeon, whereas in this case, it was performed by a physician.

The procedure was a success and my dad only passed away much later due to other causes. 

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 1

Some of the basic procedures are best done by nurses as they do it day in day out, while doctors are trained to do it but if never practice often, their competency will dip.

Turbocharged

I don't get this part...

The other expert, Dr Tan Chieh Suai, a consultant in the department of renal medicine at Singapore General Hospital, “expressed his concern that Dr See had undertaken the procedure only slightly after two months of being granted this clinical privilege and performing 23 independent insertions of peritoneal catheters”.

That means what? He should have waited for a longer time after getting the license?

5 minutes ago, Karoon said:

I don't get this part...

That means what? He should have waited for a longer time after getting the license?

means that even if u have driver licence. U shouldn't drive.

LPPL

I met him during reservist. Friendly guy.

Edited by Lala81

23 minutes ago, Karoon said:

I don't get this part...

Sounds stupid right. Got license to do but shouldn't do? What kind of expert comment is that?

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Did you editorialize and add the word "routine" into the title?

I've always heard that any surgery will have danger - some less and some more. Don't think it is routine.

after reading through the article, it does sound like a routine surgery. But I am no medical expert... maybe the docs here can comment.

I am not blaming anyone but wondering if I have to do a procedure, like colonoscopy, etc, something that is supposed to be not life threatening... I should not expect to die right...

If so, which doctor do I go to??? other than asking friends, I am wondering if there is an objective assessment on the success rate of different procedures. ie doctor A has done like 1534 colonoscopy and only 3 got complications, etc. Should be pretty useful...

Wonder if there is such a system anywhere... if not, probably got some issues in implementing.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

after reading through the article, it does sound like a routine surgery. But I am no medical expert... maybe the docs here can comment.

I am not blaming anyone but wondering if I have to do a procedure, like colonoscopy, etc, something that is supposed to be not life threatening... I should not expect to die right...

If so, which doctor do I go to??? other than asking friends, I am wondering if there is an objective assessment on the success rate of different procedures. ie doctor A has done like 1534 colonoscopy and only 3 got complications, etc. Should be pretty useful...

Wonder if there is such a system anywhere... if not, probably got some issues in implementing.

If you go for a non life threatening procedure, then you should not expect to die.

However, a colonoscopy is not non life threatening and you can indeed die from it.

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Sounds stupid right. Got license to do but shouldn't do? What kind of expert comment is that?

Haha... Got me too.

Means must wait until p plate over, then the skill and competence will grow by itself. 

9 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Haha... Got me too.

Means must wait until p plate over, then the skill and competence will grow by itself. 

p plate also can drive on your own already tho.

1 hour ago, Karoon said:

Haha... Got me too.

I think the consultant meant that even if certified, he should have done it under supervision or at least with an assistant who can help him keep an eye for him.

Example.  You can drive now.  You have P plate.  What the consultant meant is not that you cannot drive or need an instructor but maybe dont drive alone but with a friend who can just help you keep an eye on the road as you gain experience.