Michelin Primacy 4 vs Continental Premium Contact 6 vs Goodyear F1A5

Calvin8808

Hi,

Anyone used these tyres before and how do you rate them?

What tyres will you changed if it's down to these 3 choices?

Btw am talking about Europe made ones.

Edited by Calvin8808
↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

I will say more of comfort.

Michelin Primacy 4 is a comfort biased tyre. GY Efficient Grip Performance 2 and Bridgestone T005A are it's direct competitors.

Goodyear F1A5 and Continental CPC6 are more towards UHP. Another tyre in this range is Michelin PS4. 

• Praise 5

I had 205/55R16 Primacy 4 (Spain) fitted to my previous car and 225/45R17 F1A5 (Poland) on my current. Both cars are hatchbacks. 

Primacy 4 had great comfort and performed well in the wet. The most impressive thing about it was the wear rate. I ran a total of 26000kms on these tyres when I sold the car and they were barely worn. When I did my 10k rotation, the technician quipped that it was as good as new. 

For the F1A5, it has far sportier characteristics as the Primacy 4 is more a premium touring tyre and not a UHP. That said, it doesn't lose out to the Primacy 4 in terms of comfort either based on my subjective feel. Braking and handling are a notch higher with the F1A5.  

The CPC6 is also highly rated on Tyrereviews.co.uk, so I believe you wouldn't go wrong with any of the three. It boils down to how much you are willing to pay and which characteristic (comfort, braking, performance, wear, etc.) is most important to you. 

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, iamahbee said:

The most impressive thing about it was the wear rate. I ran a total of 26000kms on these tyres when I sold the car and they were barely worn. When I did my 10k rotation, the technician quipped that it was as good as new. 

exactly, its very hard to wear them down. the reason is they get really hard as it ages. 

instead of wearing down like other tyres , it will break/tear off bit by bit

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, iamahbee said:

I had 205/55R16 Primacy 4 (Spain) fitted to my previous car and 225/45R17 F1A5 (Poland) on my current. Both cars are hatchbacks. 

Primacy 4 had great comfort and performed well in the wet. The most impressive thing about it was the wear rate. I ran a total of 26000kms on these tyres when I sold the car and they were barely worn. When I did my 10k rotation, the technician quipped that it was as good as new. 

For the F1A5, it has far sportier characteristics as the Primacy 4 is more a premium touring tyre and not a UHP. That said, it doesn't lose out to the Primacy 4 in terms of comfort either based on my subjective feel. Braking and handling are a notch higher with the F1A5.  

The CPC6 is also highly rated on Tyrereviews.co.uk, so I believe you wouldn't go wrong with any of the three. It boils down to how much you are willing to pay and which characteristic (comfort, braking, performance, wear, etc.) is most important to you. 

I think the performance for all 3 pretty good based on reviews. So perhaps am looking for some thing that is quieter, comfort, wear, and fuel consumption is better.

• Praise 1

If comfort, then go for EfficientGrip Performance 2. Very quiet (compared to AS3), enough grip, better wet grip than AS5, supposed to last longer than AS5.

Note it has very soft side walls, may need to increase the tire pressure a bit. Speaking from personal experience.

I focus on ride comfort and noise when choosing my tyres.

Had unpleasant experience with GY Efficiency Grip and F1A3 in the past. The tyre felt good and handled well, especially in the wet with the F1A3, but a soft "woong woong woong" noise that sounded like bad wheel bearings drove me mad. Costed me a lot of time, money and agony to identify the noise as coming from the tyres in ordered to get them replaced. No more GY for me. No faith.

I had good experiences with the BS GRs and T005 but the sidewalls are stiffer, and though they handle more sharply upon turn in, the ride is a tad more abrupt. Don't last very long also - 35000km or so.

On Primacy 4 now and I am happy. Slightly noiser than BS but more comfy. I must add that the Michelin performance is consistent throughout its life, the noise and grip don't get worse with mileage. And its hard wearing too.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 5

38 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Had unpleasant experience with GY Efficiency Grip and F1A3 in the past. The tyre felt good and handled well, especially in the wet with the F1A3, but a soft "woong woong woong" noise that sounded like bad wheel bearings drove me mad. Costed me a lot of time, money and agony to identify the noise as coming from the tyres in ordered to get them replaced. No more GY for me. No faith.

I had good experiences with the BS GRs and T005 but the sidewalls are stiffer, and though they handle more sharply upon turn in, the ride is a tad more abrupt. Don't last very long also - 35000km or so.

On Primacy 4 now and I am happy. Slightly noiser than BS but more comfy. I must add that the Michelin performance is consistent throughout its life, the noise and grip don't get worse with mileage. And its hard wearing too.

I have the "bad wheel bearings" sound from brand new AS3 (at low speed) too! So it's not my bearings!

But EG Performance 2 no such sound. I installed them about 2 months ago. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I have the "bad wheel bearings" sound from brand new AS3 (at low speed) too! So it's not my bearings!

Another consideration when choosing which tyre oso can be political. If one is a Trump supporter, cannot buy goodyear..

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Off topic a bit. Coz i using mobile phone to see this site. Words can be too poor to my eyes. I need a new specs liao coz i see primay 4 vs primary 6 instead

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, Spurman said:

Off topic a bit. Coz i using mobile phone to see this site. Words can be too poor to my eyes. I need a new specs liao coz i see primay 4 vs primary 6 instead

Scored 1 F and 5 As to be exact😝

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

So it's a common issue with this tyre! 😡

14 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I must add that the Michelin performance is consistent throughout its life, the noise and grip don't get worse with mileage.

Oh yes, this was my experience with the Primacy 4 too.

• Praise 1

On 8/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Any good shop with 205/60/16 Primacy 4 stocks?

On 8/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, Viper76 said:

Any good shop with 205/60/16 Primacy 4 stocks?

Just went to ask a shop 220 based on the size 225/60/R17

Just saw this review on YouTube- already tried CPC 5 and PS4, going to try the Asymmetric 5 next. Price is low, with good rim protection and good overall performance .

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2