Michelin Primacy 4 vs Continental Premium Contact 6 vs Goodyear F1A5

Calvin8808

29 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Driver should just look at his recommended tyre pressures (printed in a diagram at driver door well) which will tell him for his load (high chance 4-5 pax in same car on NSHW) what should be the pressure range.

Therein lies the confusion.

As u can see, I'd assume that the car label on tyre pressure it is talking about absolute terms, unless indicated. That means 280 kpa means 280kpa, regardless if it is hot or cold.

But what if i pump it up to say, 280 kpa and then on a hot day, my tyre pressure shoots up to 340kpa? So am i considered running an over-inflated tyre? More importantly, am i still running within the safety/performance specs that my tyres were designed for?

Edited by Rickster
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Rickster said:

280-290 kpa is definitely not considered low for most cars, especially when cold.

I agree that temperature monitoring unit is important as in my previous post, i illustrated how temperature can cause my tyres to increase pressure by +50 kpa. 

Unless we're talking about high end cars, most tyres used by cars in singapore have a max kpa printed at the sidewall and they are mostly in the range of 320-350 kpa. Personally, i do not want to be running my tyres near or at the max pressure.

Actually the max psi we saw on the side wall is for tyre mounting. 
Alway something like do not exceeds 50psi when mounting etc etc.

The tolerance of all the tyres we purchase in SG is extremely high/safe, Most of the time tyre shop inflate to 60-80 psi to mount the tyres. 

Unless our tyres got existing  damages , if not its safe to say there is basically no danger of driver pumping the tyres too high psi and explode. ( i dun think petrol station can even exceeds 60 psi .)

The only danger from too high pressure is instead, our car braking distance increase. and we skid easily esp during wet weather. cos the contact area become smaller.

280 kpa is 40 psi already, which is consider high for most car, i think only conti car will recommended such high pressure., if cold pressure is 40 psi, when running on expressway , u will reach 45 psi easily. 

The recommended tyres pressure marking on our car is alway cold/normal temp unless otherwise stated. 

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Actually the max psi we saw on the side wall is for tyre mounting. 
Alway something like do not exceeds 50psi when mounting etc etc.

The tolerance of all the tyres we purchase in SG is extremely high/safe, Most of the time tyre shop inflate to 60-80 psi to mount the tyres. 

Unless our tyres got existing  damages , if not its safe to say there is basically no danger of driver pumping the tyres too high psi and explode. ( i dun think petrol station can even exceeds 60 psi .)

The only danger from too high pressure is instead, our car braking distance increase. and we skid easily esp during wet weather. cos the contact area become smaller.

Bro, found something that might be useful. It's Bridgestone Singapore's explanation on the max pressure printed on the side wall, it's meant for our daily use, not tyre mounting. 2 useful Links on this:

https://www.bridgestone.com.sg/content/dam/bridgestone/consumer/bst/apac/sg/Tyre-Clinic-Image-Bank/tyre-talk/how-much-tyre-inflation-pressure-is-enough/Bridgestone Infographic - How Much Tyre Inflation Pressure is Enough.pdf 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=196

I learnt something new from this too.. when the side wall says max 350 kpa, the manufacturer actually meant cold pressure. That means you're right - there is indeed quite some tolerance built into the tyres.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

Therein lies the confusion.

As u can see, I'd assume that the car label on tyre pressure it is talking about absolute terms, unless indicated. That means 280 kpa means 280kpa, regardless if it is hot or cold.

But what if i pump it up to say, 280 kpa and then on a hot day, my tyre pressure shoots up to 340kpa? So am i considered running an over-inflated tyre? More importantly, am i still running within the safety/performance specs that my tyres were designed for?

Factory recommendation is based on cold. That’s the bare minimum.

Factory doesn’t recommend max pressure as it is based on tyre manufacturer recommendations. As long as it does not exceed what tyre manufacturer said, you are safe.

As tyre is load bearing, load index + tyre pressure = how much weight the tyre can carry.
Accordingly, it need to be adjusted whenever load index is different from factory tyre

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

280-290 kpa is definitely not considered low for most cars, especially when cold.

I agree that temperature monitoring unit is important as in my previous post, i illustrated how temperature can cause my tyres to increase pressure by +50 kpa. 

Unless we're talking about high end cars, most tyres used by cars in singapore have a max kpa printed at the sidewall and they are mostly in the range of 320-350 kpa. Personally, i do not want to be running my tyres near or at the max pressure.

My set of tires do not increase more than 30kpa while driving, not even on a hot day or pushing them.

That's why I said it is dependent on load. The sticker on the recommended air pressure is for reference and imo it is too low. Tire shops will ask me how much I pump instead. They know where the sticker is. They too commented it is on the low side.

There are many factors. The car's kerb weight, passenger load, the type of tire itself, etc. For me I will find a balance. I am not saying yours is wrong. Just that opinions may differ.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Sekali Mr Burger thot only him alone in the car but forgot to factor in his few crates worth of durians with husks...or maybe ran over durian mines at durian farm 😁

Caught me there, I was at Bentong and Raut durian plantation. It was fun.

After one night in KL, decided to head up again to Genting for one night. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Caught me there, I was at Bentong and Raut durian plantation. It was fun.

After one night in KL, decided to head up again to Genting for one night. 

See lah...neber factor in ah lians total weight...maybe next time pump gao gao kpa...

So...what was the score at Genting in one night stand...i mean in one night standing? 😁

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 3

Neutral Newbie

Comparing the Michelin Defender Vs Continental Truecontact, I learned that the latter is the cheaper tire option with the best-wet weather traction. But when it comes to longevity, Michelin’s Defender T+H is the ideal choice. The Defender 2 is great at handling S corners because of its fast steering response, while the Defender T+H displays quality braking, cornering and stability even in tight turns.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, mersaylee said:

See lah...neber factor in ah lians total weight...maybe next time pump gao gao kpa...

So...what was the score at Genting in one night stand...i mean in one night standing? 😁

Me no go in gambling den. Not interested and too smelly.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Me no go in gambling den. Not interested and too smelly.

Yalor...from afar sometimes I wondered if those were fog or smokes...😁

• Haha! 2