Michelin Primacy 4 vs Continental Premium Contact 6 vs Goodyear F1A5

Calvin8808

RFT or not, if side wall kana shred by rock or object, the outcome probably the same.

I do not know what I hit, just heard a loud thud and the tyre immediately gone case.

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

This is the reason why I prefer to stick to run flats as i frequent malaysia.

I've experienced tyre side wall blow out before on my non-run flats when i ran over a plank at around 80km/hr in SG. I would expect the same blow out to happen if i hit a pothole as well.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

RFT or not, if side wall kana shred by rock or object, the outcome probably the same.

I do not know what I hit, just heard a loud thud and the tyre immediately gone case.

actually rft is quite power.

Say for your case, if u are on rft, a sidewall burst like that , u still can easily drive home , lepak and go tyreshop the next day.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

What's the speed rating for that tyre? 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Might have been a protruding road surface that you hit? Run flats are quite good in this aspect as the sidewall is several times thicker than normal tyres so much so that the sidewall is solely used to support the vehicle weight at 0 psi.

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

What's the speed rating for that tyre? 

I believe should be Y and was inflated to 280 kpa at the start of the journey.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

And the kph was...? Hokay no need to answer...pin an jiu hao 😁

• Haha! 2

13 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Maybe a big rock? but usually as NSHW is super jam packed, other cars in front already clear the path swee swee for you, unlikely to have big debris

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Fatman tyre burst at NSHW and luckily car did not spin out.

Changing tyre at road side with no street lights is no joke as it's wee hours. Kept looking over my shoulder but the TOLL pickup did come after 15mins to cover my back.

IMG-20221106-WA0001.jpeg

Whoa, it is very rare to have a tire blowout like that. Before this incident I think you already hit a nail or smth and the tire was already deflated. Running over even a small bump will cause the blowout.

1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

Whoa, it is very rare to have a tire blowout like that. Before this incident I think you already hit a nail or smth and the tire was already deflated. Running over even a small bump will cause the blowout.

Looking at the pix again and I realized the fatman was kind of waving good bye to me....hahahhahah

If it was deflated the car tyre monitoring system should have detected it . I suspect it's a rock or something.

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Is it based on factory recommended pressure?

My Mini is pump to 290.  The tire has load index of 88

48 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Is it based on factory recommended pressure?

My Mini is pump to 290.  The tire has load index of 88

Based on my own tayalosophy.

The load index is 103 so I guess it should be well within spec.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Based on my own tayalosophy.

The load index is 103 so I guess it should be well within spec.

Check whether it is within factory recommended tyre pressure (Bare minimum).

If factory recommendation is based on RFT, need to up another 10% (based on BMW M3 owner manual).

14 hours ago, Hamburger said:

My current car tyres are at 250 kpa (tyre temp 28 degrees C) on a morning start. Pressure can rise to 300 kpa (tyre temp 45 degrees C) on a hot mid day after a highway run, assuming my car's TPMS and tyre temp monitoring is accurate. I'm running on 225/45/18 run flats.

So on a hot day, your tyre pressure may 320kpa or more, if its 280 kpa at start.

Possibly due to the high pressure, tyre more susceptible to rupture as many tyres have their pressure maxed out at 320-350 kpa range.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Rickster said:

My current car tyres are at 250 kpa (tyre temp 28 degrees C) on a morning start. Pressure can rise to 300 kpa (tyre temp 45 degrees C) on a hot mid day after a highway run, assuming my car's TPMS and tyre temp monitoring is accurate. I'm running on 225/45/18 run flats.

So on a hot day, your tyre pressure may 320kpa or more, if its 280 kpa at start.

Possibly due to the high pressure, tyre more susceptible to rupture as many tyres have their pressure maxed out at 320-350 kpa range.

next time u replace tyres, can find those that give nitro.

See if really got different 😁

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

To me I dont think 280-290kpa is high. The more important unit to monitor is actually the tire temperature.

Anyway our atmospheric air pressure at sea level is about 1 bar or 100kpa, I round off easier for reference. At 280kpa is only about 2.8bar or 2.8 times the atmospheric pressure. It is not high. Also need to see what car you drive. If you have a heavy car then it is better to have a higher air pressure especially when fully loaded. Or the tires will overheat.

Many ppl have tpms but dunno what they are seeing. The tire temperature matters. The driver should adjust the air pressure according to load.

Very easy to see. When your car is fully loaded with passengers and barang barang  and your tires look deflated go and inflate them. Cos running on tires that dont have enough air pressure in them the tires will overheat.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

To me I dont think 280-290kpa is high. The more important unit to monitor is actually the tire temperature.

Anyway our atmospheric air pressure at sea level is about 1 bar or 100kpa, I round off easier for reference. At 280kpa is only about 2.8bar or 2.8 times the atmospheric pressure. It is not high. Also need to see what car you drive. If you have a heavy car then it is better to have a higher air pressure especially when fulling loaded. Or tires will overheat.

Many ppl have tpms but dunno what they are seeing. The tire temperature matters. The driver should adjust the air pressure according to load.

Driver should just look at his recommended tyre pressures (printed in a diagram at driver door well) which will tell him for his load (high chance 4-5 pax in same car on NSHW) what should be the pressure range.

6 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Driver should just look at his recommended tyre pressures (printed in a diagram at driver door well) which will tell him for his load (high chance 4-5 pax in same car on NSHW) what should be the pressure range.

Sekali Mr Burger thot only him alone in the car but forgot to factor in his few crates worth of durians with husks...or maybe ran over durian mines at durian farm 😁

6 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Anyway our atmospheric air pressure at sea level is about 1 bar or 100kpa, I round off easier for reference. At 280kpa is only about 2.8bar or 2.8 times the atmospheric pressure. It is not high. Also need to see what car you drive. If you have a heavy car then it is better to have a higher air pressure especially when fulling loaded. Or tires will overheat.

280-290 kpa is definitely not considered low for most cars, especially when cold.

I agree that temperature monitoring unit is important as in my previous post, i illustrated how temperature can cause my tyres to increase pressure by +50 kpa. 

Unless we're talking about high end cars, most tyres used by cars in singapore have a max kpa printed at the sidewall and they are mostly in the range of 320-350 kpa. Personally, i do not want to be running my tyres near or at the max pressure.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1