Michelin Primacy 4 vs Continental Premium Contact 6 vs Goodyear F1A5

Calvin8808

Can share price and where you got them? I think f1a5 & EG2 same price point, I looking more for comfort & fuel eco, but concerned of the bearing issues shared on the older models 

Edited by alpharome
↡ Advertisement

19 minutes ago, alpharome said:

Can share price and where you got them? I think f1a5 & EG2 same price point, I looking more for comfort & fuel eco, but concerned of the bearing issues shared on the older models 

Comfort and economy then EG2 would be the one. Decent grip. Currently on EG2 decided against AS5 since I didn't like the noise on AS3. 

I just changed to Michelin P4 tyres slightly a month ago... 

Love the differences compare to Pirelli cinturato p7 run flat, 

The "woong woong wooong" sound and harsh ride was unbearable so decided to change out of them. 

More comfortable, good grip in dry and wet. But softer side walls. 

Was using Michelin Latitude Sports on my previous car, similar feel to Primacy 4... 

The set lasted almost 2 years, around 40k and tread wear almost reaching indicator before I scrapped the car. 

On 8/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

I focus on ride comfort and noise when choosing my tyres.

Had unpleasant experience with GY Efficiency Grip and F1A3 in the past. The tyre felt good and handled well, especially in the wet with the F1A3, but a soft "woong woong woong" noise that sounded like bad wheel bearings drove me mad. Costed me a lot of time, money and agony to identify the noise as coming from the tyres in ordered to get them replaced. No more GY for me. No faith.

I had good experiences with the BS GRs and T005 but the sidewalls are stiffer, and though they handle more sharply upon turn in, the ride is a tad more abrupt. Don't last very long also - 35000km or so.

On Primacy 4 now and I am happy. Slightly noiser than BS but more comfy. I must add that the Michelin performance is consistent throughout its life, the noise and grip don't get worse with mileage. And its hard wearing too.

I had a very unpleasant experience with my Goodyear tyres, one developed a huge crack on the inside sidewalls. I have no confidence with GY. My best experiences are with Michelin and Continental tyres. Otherwise other brands like Bridgestone, Yokohama, Hankook are also ok.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, andrewyewkc said:

I had a very unpleasant experience with my Goodyear tyres, one developed a huge crack on the inside sidewalls. I have no confidence with GY. My best experiences are with Michelin and Continental tyres. Otherwise other brands like Bridgestone, Yokohama, Hankook are also ok.

I had similar experience with you. Many years ago, GY efficient grip developed cracks in all 4 tyres after 1 year. Swore off GY and never touched them for a while. Then read many good reviews on f1a3. Decided to give it a try after this car had conti, bridgestone and michelin. It was good and no more cracks, so i am now on the second consecutive set of f1a3. will be getting f1a5 next.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, alpharome said:

F1A5 in size 225/45R18 is about $170 at Kim Hoe.

12 minutes ago, Frozentouch said:

Hi guys

What's the difference between Michelin Primacy 4ST and Michelin Primacy 4?

St is silent tune. Tyre less noise

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Does anyone has views on the Continental Premium Contact 6? Am looking to replace my Michelin Primacy 4s and wondering the Contis are worth a try. Size 235/45/18.

2 different tyre test. 

I am currently on Primacy 4, changing tyre soon. Plan to change to A1S5.

Continental tyre price is high, just felt not really value for money. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2020-AMS-18-Inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

I wonder how big a difference between PS4 and Primacy 4 actually.. 

I had been running on UHP for > than a decade now and am thinking of something more comfortable. I just fear the unknowns. 

Will be great if someone can feedback. 

I think unless u really like to push your car to the limit the differences between tyres a bit overexaggerated. Definitely for Sg roads. Maybe Malaysia then can feel. If you like to tailgate and chiong out of traffic lights then go for UHP. All others go for comfort/eco

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Not Primacy 4, but OEM Primacy 3 vs PS4. Different goals the 2 tyres have. Primacy range is comfort biased, high mileage and low rolling resistance. Great if you take corners gently, like to cruise down expressways in serenity and comfort, and clock high mileage. Primacy gives up cornering grip, braking distance and traction in the wet. 

PS4 sticks to the ground at corners, brakes well, slices through big puddles with no side-tracking. Downside is the high wear rate. At 36k km and 3 years, my Primacy 3 was still looking and feeling the same. Whereas at 30k km and 2.5 years, my PS4 were already worn and starting to peel.

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I think unless u really like to push your car to the limit the differences between tyres a bit overexaggerated. Definitely for Sg roads. Maybe Malaysia then can feel. If you like to tailgate and chiong out of traffic lights then go for UHP. All others go for comfort/eco

Right on. With our road and weather conditions, wet grip and comfort are to me most important. 

And I have yet to run out of grip on my GY EG P2. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Right on. With our road and weather conditions, wet grip and comfort are to me most important. 

And I have yet to run out of grip on my GY EG P2. 

Maybe if on Touradors, you will quickly run out of grip 😀

Joke aside, I spotted a Merc GLC250 non-PHV on Touradors on Sat. Complete with sticker on back windscreen. Why would he stinge on tyres?  

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

32 minutes ago, serenade said:

Joke aside, I spotted a Merc GLC250 non-PHV on Touradors on Sat. Complete with sticker on back windscreen. Why would he stinge on tyres?  

Maybe Jamesc gave his MIL that car..... 

• Haha! 2

On 8/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, serenade said:

Maybe the decal can provide more brakeforce. 

Other tyre brand never give decal 😞