I hate my job. Should i quit now?

Sunlight

I have been in engineering industry for many years, but recently the work scope is becoming unbearable. I used to love getting my hands dirty and getting things done, but after promoting to my current position, i now have to face many problems. Nowadays i cannot sleep properly, stressing about work. 

As i am debt free, I am thinking whether i should quit and move into another industry and start all over again. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Sunlight said:

I have been in engineering industry for many years, but recently the work scope is becoming unbearable. I used to love getting my hands dirty and getting things done, but after promoting to my current position, i now have to face many problems. Nowadays i cannot sleep properly, stressing about work. 

As i am debt free, I am thinking whether i should quit and move into another industry and start all over again. 

Oh Sound like Micheal Jordan already.  I love my job it is REALLY OK.

The trick is NOT to accept the promotion.

And the best way is not to be considered for promotion.

Don't be the boss favourite, occasionally don't show so much support for the boss and have different ideas of how to do things.

:grin:

People think I never do any work as I never solve any problems.

The truth is I don't know how to solve problems, I never did.

I only know how to prevent and avoid problems.

It always looks like I do nothing and all the other HOD busy fire fighting cannot stand it.  

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 11

If a lady gets married and then tells me she married the wrong person and what to do?

I don't have an answer.

If she was about to get married and asked me if she should go for it.

Then I can advice accordingly.

• Haha! 3

The problem is not only TS.

This problem is called the Peter's principle.

Everyone gets promoted to their level of incompetence.

Who gets promoted? People who are good at their jobs.

Who don't get promoted? People who are NOT good at their jobs.

So a very good teacher that loves teaching kids will be promoted to be a principal who now don't teach anymore but have to tell adult teachers what to do.

And as we all know adults teachers never do what they are told to do. They only like scolding people and ordering them around. Well schools kids cannot disobey right?

Ask kids to do anything these days and the kid will ask why? Teachers that expect yes sir three bags full sir cannot handle being talked backed to.

Anyway the once happy teacher is now a very unhappy manager of unhappy adult teachers. 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 9

My own colleague is a very good example.

She used to be an aircraft engineer. She is very small size and they made her crawl into the small spaces of the plane to wire up the entertainment system.

She can go where fat man cannot go but she got tak chek oversees and wanted to go into management.

Then change job to manage people and now regret.

Singapore is the hardest place in the world to be a manager.

People here all got attitude issues and the only time we can avoid this is when starting a new department.

Then can hire nice and competent people and train them and instill the right attitude.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

This thread is like girlfriend kenna pregnant and then come and ask what to do.

If only come earlier and we can tell TS wear rubber band.

image.png.303fc6c250dd51aeaa450081c06d8ae7.png

• Haha! 3

42 minutes ago, Sunlight said:

Maybe talk to your boss about your problems? Like you prefer to hands on then management? See whether is there workaround for u. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

The problem is not only TS.

This problem is called the Peter's principle.

Everyone gets promoted to their level of incompetence.

Who gets promoted? People who are good at their jobs.

Who don't get promoted? People who are NOT good at their jobs.

So a very good teacher that loves teaching kids will be promoted to be a principal who now don't teach anymore but have to tell adult teachers what to do.

And as we all know adults teachers never do what they are told to do. They only like scolding people and ordering them around. Well schools kids cannot disobey right?

Ask kids to do anything these days and the kid will ask why? Teachers that expect yes sir three bags full sir cannot handle being talked backed to.

Anyway the once happy teacher is now a very unhappy manager of unhappy adult teachers. 

Very good. I was about to mention the Peter Principle myself.

Funny how many eponymous principles operate in the workplace.

Murphy's Law - why your office photocopier/printer/email server must conk out exactly in time for your big presentation to the bigwigs. 

Peter Principle - why your boss is not qualified to do his job and you're barely qualified to do your own. 

Parkinson's Law - why extended deadlines always mean expanded work and why your project expenses will never, ever come within any predetermined budget. 

Pareto Principle - why 80 percent of the screws up in your office happen because of 20 percent of staff. As to why that 20 percent also happen to be management favourites and therefore un-fire-able, see Peter and Murphy above. 

I was never trained in professional mismanagement, yet I picked up all these things.

😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 10

This thread is same for every industry hor.

Say you are a gyne and enjoy your job tremendously.

Asking ladies to take off their clothes so you can have a better look.

Poke here poke there and then send a big bill to her husband and then promoted to manage all the other doctors.

Unless you like managing people no more job satisfaction of getting your hands dirty anymore

and no more see young ladies naked anymore FOREVER.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 4

1 minute ago, Jamesc said:

This thread is like girlfriend kenna pregnant and then come and ask what to do.

If only come earlier and we can tell TS wear rubber band.

image.png.303fc6c250dd51aeaa450081c06d8ae7.png

This is a good example of Fxxking Mistake! whahahahahahahaha..

Anyway to quit need courage lah.. No right no wrong but just need to be prepared will be jobless sometimes..

Engineering can be very specific skill set.. Like govt will say go attend skill future course to upgrade and become employable! 🤣

what you don like abt current job? if the people honestly go where oso meet shitty people.. 

• Haha! 3

You my friend are a graduate of the real life situation school of management.

More relevant than any text book school of management theory.

6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Very good. I was about to mention the Peter Principle myself.

Funny how many eponymous principles operate in the workplace.

Murphy's Law - why your office photocopier/printer/email server must conk out exactly in time for your big presentation to the bigwigs. 

Peter Principle - why your boss is not qualified to do his job and you're barely qualified to do your own. 

Parkinson's Law - why extended deadlines always mean expanded work and why your project expenses will never, ever come within any predetermined budget. 

Pareto Principle - why 80 percent of the screws up in your office happen because of 20 percent of staff. As to why that 20 percent also happen to be management favourites and therefore un-fire-able, see Peter and Murphy above. 

I was never trained in professional mismanagement, yet I picked up all these things.

😁

• Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, Sunlight said:

Yes live in the present. 

this doesnt mean YOLOing but dont be bound by societal expectations.  

must be true to yourself.

• Praise 3

57 minutes ago, Sunlight said:

Keep thinking but don't need to make a hasty decision - at most you can just mentally check out of the job first.

My question to you: any possibility of you getting back your old position? Whether in the current company or a competitor.

1 hour ago, Sunlight said:

What's your current and previous position?

19 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

This is a good example of Fxxking Mistake! whahahahahahahaha..

Anyway to quit need courage lah.. No right no wrong but just need to be prepared will be jobless sometimes..

Engineering can be very specific skill set.. Like govt will say go attend skill future course to upgrade and become employable! 🤣

what you don like abt current job? if the people honestly go where oso meet shitty people.. 

Fxxking Mistake. Hehe

This actually happen to me and I speak from real life experience and not school text book. 

The Miss that teach me sex education was an unmarried virgin.

Many years ago when I was young and still in school that time still got virgin.

Now all the teachers that teach sex education all jiak already.

So when they teach sexy education they got REAL LIFE experience and not just read the text book only like my time.

My boy very naughty sex education always keep asking teacher for a demonstration.

Wifey and I so pai seh always have to go to Principle office for a "chat" about his attitude.

Wifey come out of principal office will always angry and then scold me and say he got my genes.

3.jpg.d133ca003571db343a163153d0df9e01.jpg

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 12