4g usb dongle on android head unit

q1n3fer

Has anyone tried connecting a 4g dongle to the usb slot of a android head unit? does it work? Hope to get some answers before i go ahead and purchase a dongle...

↡ Advertisement

Never done it before, never would unless I was sure it was an intended use case. 

Note that USB devices are not harmless. Worst case scenario is catastrophic hardware failure. If you connect the wrong thing to the wrong thing, you can f*** everything up, not just your HU but your entire car electrical system. 

I've messed up an old laptop by connecting a cheap China electronic toy dongle with a USB jack, but I did it intentionally, just to see what would happen. Well, motherboard fried, laptop in the trash. 

There are also dedicated USB killer devices you can purchase (although you really shouldn't). They work. 

https://usbkill.com/

Edited by Turboflat4

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, q1n3fer said:

Has anyone tried connecting a 4g dongle to the usb slot of a android head unit? does it work? Hope to get some answers before i go ahead and purchase a dongle...

Why so mafan, you just on your tethering of your phone all the way lor.

When you are inside the car, it can connect le. Rather than you spend 70 bucks on a dongle. Might as well just use that money for the data.

13 hours ago, Wallaw819 said:

if need 4G should have gotten HU with sim slot.

most of the usb does not support dongle.

yea.. should have gotten 1 with sim card slot

Edited by q1n3fer
  • Praise 1

18 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

When you are inside the car, it can connect le. Rather than you spend 70 bucks on a dongle. Might as well just use that money for the data.

that is what i'm doing now.. just thinking is there anyway to save that step. coz if dongle works, everytime the head unit turns on.. there is connection already.

• Praise 1

Just wondering if we really need a separate data connection in a car.

There's already apple carplay and android auto which would take care of the key functions like navigation, music, calls and messaging. And if hotspot is  needed to share with the car itself, the car cam and passengers, the phone can also be used.

But I just a  noob in this area, and would be more than happy to be enlightened.

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, q1n3fer said:

that is what i'm doing now.. just thinking is there anyway to save that step. coz if dongle works, everytime the head unit turns on.. there is connection already.

hahha. You sell your existing one and buy one with sim slot lor!

Some fools buy some fools sell!

23 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

hahha. You sell your existing one and buy one with sim slot lor!

Some fools buy some fools sell!

too troublesome for that.. shall just live with it

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

Just wondering if we really need a separate data connection in a car.

There's already apple carplay and android auto which would take care of the key functions like navigation, music, calls and messaging. And if hotspot is  needed to share with the car itself, the car cam and passengers, the phone can also be used.

But I just a  noob in this area, and would be more than happy to be enlightened.

that is if you are driving a fairly new car.. which supports apple carplay and android auto. There are those who are driving older cars that don't even have a physical screen, and will need to upgrade their head unit..

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, q1n3fer said:

that is if you are driving a fairly new car.. which supports apple carplay and android auto. There are those who are driving older cars that don't even have a physical screen, and will need to upgrade their head unit..

I see.

But even with upgrade, all the key functions can be accessed using carplay or Android auto. So, what is the need for a separate 4G dongle? Just turn on the hotspot and the phone is the dongle. Unless you want internet connection at all times even when car is parked.

My car has a physical screen but no carplay or android auto. Normally, I would use my phone for Waze and messaging. My head unit is only used for radio and calls (BT connection). Otherwise, the screen is off.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Lotr said:

I see.

But even with upgrade, all the key functions can be accessed using carplay or Android auto. So, what is the need for a separate 4G dongle? Just turn on the hotspot and the phone is the dongle. Unless you want internet connection at all times even when car is parked.

My car has a physical screen but no carplay or android auto. Normally, I would use my phone for Waze and messaging. My head unit is only used for radio and calls (BT connection). Otherwise, the screen is off.

yea, like i mentioned earlier.. i'm using the hotspot option now. just asking if dongle is possible. that way, i can skip turning on hotspot from my phone. reason being, if my dad happens to drive my car, he will not know hw to turn on hotspot from his phone.. but if dongle option was possible, he'll be able to use map as soon as the headunit is turned on

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, q1n3fer said:

yea, like i mentioned earlier.. i'm using the hotspot option now. just asking if dongle is possible. that way, i can skip turning on hotspot from my phone. reason being, if my dad happens to drive my car, he will not know hw to turn on hotspot from his phone.. but if dongle option was possible, he'll be able to use map as soon as the headunit is turned on

then just get a portable wifi router and leave it in the car, just remember to plug in the usb charging when low batt.

but why need network in the car if everyone has a phone?

18 minutes ago, q1n3fer said:

why not just teach him how to turn on the hotspot ? 😏

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Haha! 1

21 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Dongle cost around $10 plus only.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1