Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

Turbocharged
18 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

I share with you what's really happening on the ground.

An Indian graduate if got the job, promises to give his 1st month salary to hiring manager from same village. An equally qualified Singapore graduate is just there to make up the quota in which an X number of Singaporeans have to be interviewed for the same job, before the Indian graduate can be employed. 

This is beside the whole debate about the efficacy of our education system 😁

local go interview is wasting time.. who pay for the opportunity cost of going for countless interviews? lol

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
14 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Australia has no problem revealing their data... their country is hotbed of racial riots meh?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-statistics/statistics/visa-statistics/work

I am counting on you being a subscriber. 

You have a very strong and valid point. However, I think best don't compare but if we need to compare we can do it internally meaning if past experience had demonstrated any benefit from certain policies or actions.

You can think about the following points:

Someone in parliament said we don't have a crystal ball to predict the future (20-30years) so hence of shortfall in graduates in filling up IT sector. But then we need to ask if so how come can predict our need with CECA?

Since my last umbrage the fear of me leaking out information unintendedly I am current not brief on alot of things. So if you have any great information please do kindly share or pm me. Externally grateful. As you may know I holding on to my current job by my teeth.

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Nope.. I will still drive grab.. I like the flexibility of when I like to drive, rest day, no one to report, own time own target and etc.

I have a friend who don't like to work 9-5 job.  He drives taxi.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Actually its not only ceca. Just that ceca is 1 particular big group.

The whole issue is ft issue.

Do we want to put our grad from U in direct completion  with grad from china and india?

Can our kids win the fight? Remember they  come from a poorer country. They willing to take the same position for 50%of the pay our kids are demanding. They dun need do ns for guys. They  willing to work long hours.

If yes we willing to let our citizens  face a fair fight for economy sake.

Then i want to ask. Where is the protection  for local? What is the benefit  or point of being a citizen .

If the ruling party cannot give us the protection  we need. Maybe another  party can?  

I think you put up very good questions, but honestly, I feel I would also want HR departments to provide the answers because politicians may not be able to give you a clear answer.

HR are the ones doing the hiring and we take CECA HR out of the equation, because their motivation for hiring their own is very clear.

For Singaporean HR hiring CECA, what's the rationale? CECA I believe are also highly paid, given loads of benefits (I know, because I live in Tanah Merah), so is that really a case of pay?

Skills-wise, what's so extraordinary about CECA graduates as compared to local grads?

The answers are important, because we don't want Singaporeans to be contented doing Grab or becoming hawkers but have aspirations to at least be in the financial sector.

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

I share with you what's really happening on the ground.

An Indian graduate if got the job, promises to give his 1st month salary to hiring manager from same village. An equally qualified Singapore graduate is just there to make up the quota in which an X number of Singaporeans have to be interviewed for the same job, before the Indian graduate can be employed. 

This is beside the whole debate about the efficacy of our education system 😁

I don't know if this is true but if that's rampant, we have a big problem.

2 hours ago, Spidey10 said:

with all these deliberations by PAP that ceca is not the cause of the increase of Indians in the workforce, then howcome the increase in from 2005 to 2020 data is staggering! 

does it not fall back to PAP as well, they control all the intakes and who is who to come in right? Is not a company can just employ a foreigner and ask him to come over to work. So what happened here?  Even if a local HR says the Indian grads is good but they still need to have the green light from MOM and if MOM say no, then it won't happen! the local HR will have to look at locals to fill the roles which i believe certain finance roles are easily filled by locals..

So all the debate and now with data to show as well indicate the manpower is indeed staggering but is not ceca, then who/what else? is still the PAP/Gov of the day that allow this to happen....no?

my ref is about the increase of workers....i know, i know, without them no GDP growth, no contributory advancements blah blah blah.....[laugh] my 2 cents just on ceca and manpower!

I think the problem now is that the PAP is not going to give you a very transparent answer, that's why we need to direct those questions to HR.

• Praise 5

1 minute ago, Vinyl said:

I think the problem now is that the PAP is not going to give you a very transparent answer, that's why we need to direct those questions to HR.

😱

• Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I have a friend who don't like to work 9-5 job.  He drives taxi.

If he is young, then better warn him of robotaxis. It's coming within two decades, or maybe one.

Taxi drivers and PHVs will be out of job then.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Please don’t say locals can’t do the job. I’m sure there’s more like this young chap.

And stop relying on the quick way of bringing in ‘talents’ with their fake certs and snobbish attitude.

https://mothership.sg/2021/07/nus-computing-student-from-ite-em3/?fbclid=IwAR1X8WGdGfexiKyAQZDb82YkgLFDTYPRDtFbkAu2v9GeR0wWRJvJIl6imlQ

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Maybe the HR people also CECA? 

HR let hiring manager have final say. And guess where is the hiring mgr from?

• Sad 2

LEt me cut n paste what i wrote few months back on a retrenchment thread here,

It's not we buay sai, is ft too eh sai.

They can work long hours, work weekend/ph, do standby duty, withstand scolding from boss (most of them), fantastic academic qualification, lastly if the ft can't make it, just rinse n wash change another 1... so we sporean very hard to compete.

Nowadays co employ us mostly to meet mom quota requirement, beyond that they would rather employ a ft. which to be frank make sense if u r a business owner but as a true blue sporean worker, i of course loathes such employment practice but this is the real life..

• Praise 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

What to do when the hiring managers also from same village? PAP don't understand this, or pretend not to understand. 

They think everyone really law-by-law and go by meritocracy. 

Singaporeans too law by law, that's why always kena makan

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Cheesey74 said:

LEt me cut n paste what i wrote few months back on a retrenchment thread here,

It's not we buay sai, is ft too eh sai.

They can work long hours, work weekend/ph, do standby duty, withstand scolding from boss (most of them), fantastic academic qualification, lastly if the ft can't make it, just rinse n wash change another 1... so we sporean very hard to compete.

Nowadays co employ us mostly to meet mom quota requirement, beyond that they would rather employ a ft. which to be frank make sense if u r a business owner but as a true blue sporean worker, i of course loathes such employment practice but this is the real life..

you never work with india indian and some other from there b4? they can come out with a lot of bs one.

experienced people will know some things are not relevant or there are straight forward ways to manage. 

but these guys will go through the whole thing like they learnt it and spent a lot of time on it. 

those in shipyards and survey will know a lot of examples. my friend from banking also has many stories. tell no end.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

In my morning brief, an update.

Since we are dealing with livelihood of our ordinary citizens we should discuss in a non partisan manner and not to be emotional.

The take home should be the following:

1. if you don't provide hard data (excuse being sensitivity of data) and how do you not expect anyone from making second guesses? would then it be fair to accuse them of making false allegations?

2. the ground sentiment which is reality is different from what is express in parliament? Is there a disparity in the the two groups expectation or priorities?

3. why the need for this prelude session and not have a proper debate on live television with all data (except labelled secret) be made available for the public before hand so that the public can follow the debate without needing to go back after the debate to check or confirm? 

4. Why bring in FTA and CECA in together and lump them together while the issue is predominantly CECA.

Lets hope the coming debate would clear the air and not make things more confusing. Sweeping issues under the carpet would not be ideal because the population is more enquiring and learnt today than yesterday.

6c2911_a9dbc6c5da5e44b6877e809a3ec7f16d~

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Too much of a good thing can become a bad thing, which is what it is with too many Indians here dominating certain professions and career sectors. CECA may have started with the best intentions for both countries, but it's clear we have much more of them coming in to seek a better life abroad, while we have much less of ours going over to make it big. 

At the end of the day, it is the sole responsibility of the PAP to ensure they don't encroach and dominate that few career sectors. Surely there has to be balance and the lack of it, along with the blatant denial of the current situation are pissing people off.

mVin383uiBv5-ea1.jpg&cacheMarker=1573590

cyber-security-threats.jpg

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

What to do when the hiring managers also from same village? PAP don't understand this, or pretend not to understand. 

They think everyone really law-by-law and go by meritocracy. 

they only need the common folks once every five years, and whatever problems can be solved by giving out some freebies or some public showing of emotion, then cycle can repeat again....... so you think they give a damn?

• Haha! 2

(edited)
6 hours ago, Nolicense said:

knn.. better anytime then the jiak liao bee back benchers.. go parliament to sleep

Sleep nevermind, but some backbenchers are so rabid to the extent they claim "opposition always raid the cookie jar" and smear the opposition.

I thought Singapore eradicated rabies long ago?

Apparently they never knew when you point at something, 3 fingers point back at you. Not like they have the compassion and ability to understand that.

*Not all backbenchers are bad though good ones are only a small handful nevertheless.

Edited by Brass
  • Haha! 3

4 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Please don’t say locals can’t do the job. I’m sure there’s more like this young chap.

And stop relying on the quick way of bringing in ‘talents’ with their fake certs and snobbish attitude.

https://mothership.sg/2021/07/nus-computing-student-from-ite-em3/?fbclid=IwAR1X8WGdGfexiKyAQZDb82YkgLFDTYPRDtFbkAu2v9GeR0wWRJvJIl6imlQ

Local grads like this chap will look for jobs in bigger MNC companies. Those that can afford the high pay.

Singapore businesses more than 90% made up of SMEs(ppl always dont believe me when I say this. Just check with SPRING singapore, they are the ones who told me). They can only afford cheap labour.

It is locals who choose the companies who can give better pay.

Twincharged
34 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

We have talented ppl but the appreciation has to come from our own govt.

20210607_demo%20of%20mrt%20trinket_IG.gi

the thing is... people who cant get into local Uni go over seas... but FTs from those oversea beat local Uni grads who arent consider equal to FTs....  a strange world we have.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3