Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

12 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

They know why people are unhappy but they can't reverse the ceca decision anymore, hence they need to find ways to justify. That's why I'm hearing some silly explanations from them. Anyway it's not their fault cos their KPI is tied to GDP, and they have no other idea to increase GDP without ceca. They have mouths to feed at home too you know.

at first no 1 even talk about ceca or fta all these shit, its all drag in by them

we only ask to know the PR nationalities . and they behave like mimosa. get super defensive. 🤮

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

we don't hate people from this south Asian country either because Singapore is made up of this south Asian nationality. The only problem is that they are arrogant, loud and often looking down on Singapore ordinary folks, including Singaporean Indians. That is why they are the ones stand out....not other nationalities....

I often wonder, our policy makers are all very very bright and highly highly educated and they don't see this is coming? There could be one possibly, too out of touch with the ground. Any one of them staying in a HDB? 

Tunnel vision. When the goal is to grow the economy, the social costs is neglected.

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, Windwaver said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/no-pr-data-nationalities-negative-sensitivities-shanmugam-154354571.html

No PR data by nationalities as it would create ‘negative sensitivities’: Shanmugam

Singapore’s immigration policy is “carefully calibrated”, and it has kept the size of its PR population stable at around half a million for a number of years, Shanmugam said. About 58 per cent of them have been PRs for 10 years or more, and 18 per cent have been PRs for at least 20 years.

So almost 80% of PRs prefer to remain as PRs and basically leech on subsidy lol.

understandable if they just remain PR lah, who dun want the best of both worlds and a backup exit plan? even those adopt pink ic may have better plan ahead aka use it as stepping stone easier to move to another angmo land.....

(edited)
6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Can Leader of Opposition get the number?

last time a president didn't get the number too

Edited by Ahwhye
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Very easy.

Just put together a set of data from Singapore's and South Asian university with salary range and see if anything correlates :grin:

To me , it becomes a lose lose situation.

Just like nthe data is confidential.

What if the results is true? Will the perception / interpretation be, singapore education is one of the best. But the singaporean workers is one of the worst workers in history of 50 years for delivering results.

And hence we need the missing X factor from other country to improved the working culture.

I rather have the LKY elephant in the room conversation /  hard truth ..look at the numbers and answer the job discrimination topic.

Edited by Sdf4786k

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

Tunnel vision. When the goal is to grow the economy, the social costs is neglected.

Risk based approach, badnefits outweigh risks...😁

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

that social cost might be too high to bear.... 

Doesn't affect the elites, at least not in the short run

Turbocharged
34 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

To me , it becomes a lose lose situation.

Just like nthe data is confidential.

What if the results is true? Will the perception / interpretation be, singapore education is one of the best. But the singaporean workers is one of the worst workers in history of 50 years for delivering results.

And hence we need the missing X factor from other country to improved the working culture.

I rather have the LKY elephant in the room conversation /  hard truth ..look at the numbers and answer the job discrimination topic.

I remember lky will do dn rally. and he will flash numbers.

say the marriage and graduate mother scheme. he will present some charts with numbers.

i think lhl will not dare to present these types of numbers for ceca on nd rally.

• Haha! 2

Twincharged

I don't have any opinion of individuals who take offence to any particular nationality.

But bear in mind the following:

1. Stop being an ostrich, keeping thinking Singapore is the centre of universe and neighbors near and far owe us a living.

2. Some brag about giving business to Malaysia by buying their basic groceries / cheap petrol / meals including properties. But ask yourself why do you need to go to Malaysia, you Mother Teresa doing charity?

3. Some can't wait to punish China with trade blocks or even send our army their to show them we meant business. Please do to your supermarket, how many products come from China.

4. Why punish the South Asian here? You don't open your house door when people knock, they can go in and cook their chapati meh.

5. Those working here (majority) are also just working for a living and hoping to create a better life for their families back home. They are not just sitting around in air-cond collecting 100,000s of dollars each year.

Find solutions by identifying the root of the problem.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
9 hours ago, Beregond said:

There is only 1 reason why the details and numbers cannot be given.

Cos i think they see the  number now they ownself also scare

Shit already happen. 

If those details go onto the paper. They cannot handle the aftermath. They will throw all the smoke to prevent those data from coming out.

Like now they throwing the free trade smoke.

Wtf does free trade got to do with ceca. We have free trade with almost every country. 

Does ceca apply to every country that do free trade with us?

They prepared the ground with the racism card fully liao... everyday racism racism racism. 

Message is clear ... STFU or you are being racist. No one must mention the unmentionable. The inconvenient. 

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Playtime said:

They prepared the ground with the racism card fully liao... everyday racism racism racism. 

Message is clear ... STFU or you are being racist. No one must mention the unmentionable. The inconvenient. 

now they change the direction already ,  u see everyday in ST. they talking about how important ceca is for our economy, how we cannot live without fta.

every 1 forgot all we are asking are the breakdown in  PR nationalities. nothing much. as local born sg. we dun even have the rights to know this?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

GCT is saying Govt is in full control of the number of PR & foreign workers. 80k too much? Then just bring it down to 30k. 

What OYK & TSL convey in parliament is quite different. "...because of fintech, and digital industry needs, most of the qualified foreign applicants are from India...No special privilege given at our border control...What we're seeing is a result of market force.."

I think they're not telling the whole truth. In fact, the Govt controls EVERYTHING. KNN

IMG-20210707-WA0001.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

lower population usually lead to lower internal consumption. The way for future growth come from automation and technology, if we want to increase higher output with the same X number of people, we can only use technology advancement to do it. The transition so far is taking place but I think we are playing catch up, we should and could have start the transition earlier. FT bringing their family over do help the economy, be it Property, healthcare, food etc all will benefits from it. But there is also other issues such as clustering or favouritism involved.

Currently we have a sort of efficient system compared to other countries. we do like to do things fast that is our advantage over other countries. we also try to tie toe in between those super power. The global standardise corporate tax will erode part of Singapore attractiveness. We do need to balance this act nicely, as we can see from the growing number of negative sentiment towards FT. Hopefully with better help from technology, the scale will be balance back better in the future.

Turbocharged
41 minutes ago, Bacteria83 said:

lower population usually lead to lower internal consumption. The way for future growth come from automation and technology, if we want to increase higher output with the same X number of people, we can only use technology advancement to do it. The transition so far is taking place but I think we are playing catch up, we should and could have start the transition earlier. FT bringing their family over do help the economy, be it Property, healthcare, food etc all will benefits from it. But there is also other issues such as clustering or favouritism involved.

Currently we have a sort of efficient system compared to other countries. we do like to do things fast that is our advantage over other countries. we also try to tie toe in between those super power. The global standardise corporate tax will erode part of Singapore attractiveness. We do need to balance this act nicely, as we can see from the growing number of negative sentiment towards FT. Hopefully with better help from technology, the scale will be balance back better in the future.

You're being very humble my friend but we're not playing catch up, we're wayyyyyyyyyy behind.

I'm pretty sure many of us in this forum has worked abroad one way or the other. I've seen countries move forward so much faster than us and like some said, majority of our economy is SME and look at how 'fast' they have move and it seems that ivory tower wasn't in a rush either.

Thing is, don't shift the blame to the people, we ain't paid millions of dollars a year :lll._.:

• Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)
On 7/8/2021 at 10:18 AM, Spidey10 said:

for ceca, what is the trade deal ? - India can gain access to SG and send over workers and SG to gain access to India and do some trade?

So have our trade expanded with India? or any of our Citizen send over to India to work?

The question to ask should be: How much of our investments have gone down the drain?

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
13 hours ago, Didu said:

GCT is saying Govt is in full control of the number of PR & foreign workers. 80k too much? Then just bring it down to 30k. 

What OYK & TSL convey in parliament is quite different. "...because of fintech, and digital industry needs, most of the qualified foreign applicants are from India...No special privilege given at our border control...What we're seeing is a result of market force.."

I think they're not telling the whole truth. In fact, the Govt controls EVERYTHING. KNN

IMG-20210707-WA0001.jpg

I think most of us have this idea of foreign labour [migrant workers] n foreign talent club together and that makes it a very ultra messy conversation..

we do not put an Australian and American as one n the same . Only similarity in most cases is they are Caucasian.

so the resourcing is a very important factor. Be it nurses , doctors or IT engineers.. I don’t see a problem in that equation to bring in people to help build homes and tend to the sick snd helpless for the Agong population.

but I think we can rethink the whole equation of hiring landscape for some of the white collar workers especially if it means only hiring from a particular group from a single source destination.

that effectively rule out the ability for the next generation to have a job or a high paying job because it’s a matter of knowing who in order to get the job vs hiring on meritocracy which have serve us well.

if things have evolved and we still get hung up on meritocracy, then it’s. Form of disruption that we should be aware of snd adapt.

but we should not be made into a cotton sheep situation where we are been shoehorn our place in life as a blue collar worker.

And it’s not  because we are just not “talented “ enough but more of been made into a blue collar poverty cycle for the next generation because we are not in the inner circle in life.

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

I don't have any opinion of individuals who take offence to any particular nationality.

But bear in mind the following:

1. Stop being an ostrich, keeping thinking Singapore is the centre of universe and neighbors near and far owe us a living.

2. Some brag about giving business to Malaysia by buying their basic groceries / cheap petrol / meals including properties. But ask yourself why do you need to go to Malaysia, you Mother Teresa doing charity?

3. Some can't wait to punish China with trade blocks or even send our army their to show them we meant business. Please do to your supermarket, how many products come from China.

4. Why punish the South Asian here? You don't open your house door when people knock, they can go in and cook their chapati meh.

5. Those working here (majority) are also just working for a living and hoping to create a better life for their families back home. They are not just sitting around in air-cond collecting 100,000s of dollars each year.

Find solutions by identifying the root of the problem.

Well said. Its a hard truth. V hv to accept in order to 'play' wif new world. Even spore b chinapore, china wun protect us, ccb jus screwd us wif terrex issue n others.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1