Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

6 hours ago, happy_man said:

That Vivian was chosen to be the fall guy after TT saga became too obvious that Gov has suckered us to be  become another "Honest Mistake, Let's Move On"  story.

I don't mean to accuse or doubt your comments. But how do you know, you got inside information. These allegations are dangerous.

Even I, you may not think so, a General, and I still did not get confirmation on that piece of information.

May be need to recruit you as one of our field reporters since you have exhibited potential talent that most of our journalists do not seem to possessed.

Wait for the telephone call for an interview. Please do come in or interview with a smiling face - be happy.

↡ Advertisement

5 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Schools like RI are just harping on past glory. These brand name schools' value now only lies in the connections and old boys' network that will help to snag scholarships and open doors to opportunities. And unfortunately most of our "elite" still hail from these schools, perpetuating these so-called connections.

If talk about performance in academic competitions, like olympiads and that sort, that measure so-called intelligence, schools like nus high are often better nowadays.

I am sorry and apologize to correct you.

"network and connections" are among the most important asset you can acquire over your life time.

You will Mr World beauty contest and have a nice a  r s e but no connection, you stay that way for a long time. With connection, doors open for you. Why you think some here "sleeps their way" to be have privilege with the mods.

Humans like identity, to identify with a group. Like belonging to same club, same forum, similar likes and dislikes.

Trust me, observe, the smartest often ends up being an employee, but the not so smart but well connected often becomes employer (look at many big companies - Grab and etc).

You see only if you subscribe to ST, your point of views would be expanded.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Enough ok, stop it

i am sorry😂

8A45FD20-CF5B-400F-AB63-9893FECD7E49.jpeg

comments have ballooned to 2.1k liao

mostly negative

Vivian probably will have to announce his retirement in the next GE liao 🤣

4 minutes ago, Scion said:

mostly negative

To show sincerity he should include the speaker of parliament insist he make an apology in parliament. After all the comment was made in parliament.

Only then will this situation be defused and keep those cry mother and cry father for blood quiet

• Haha! 2

12 hours ago, Playtime said:

ST dare not report... already scrubbed.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kR6QUzFlD7AJ:https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ceca-mic-catches-illiterate-lousy-school-remarks-044602497.html&hl=en&gl=sg&strip=0&vwsrc=0

CECA debate: Hot mic catches 'illiterate', 'lousy school' remarks

Nicholas Yong

Wed, 15 September 2021, 12:46 pm·2-min read

In this article:

Leong Mun Wai

Singaporean politician

Vivian Balakrishnan

Singaporean politician

A clip purportedly showing Cabinet ministers making indiscrete remarks about NCMP Leong Mun Wai has gone viral. (SCREENGRAB: Ministry of Communications and Information)

More

SINGAPORE — A clip purportedly showing Parliamentarians referring to an individual as "illiterate" and having gone to a "lousy school" went viral on Wednesday (15 September). 

While it is unclear who the Parliamentarians are referring to, numerous commenters on social media platforms have identified the individual as Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) Leong Mun Wai of the Progress Singapore Party (PSP).

Footage from the Parliament livestream show the remarks were made around the time when Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan and Finance Minister Lawrence Wong had an apparent exchange with Manpower Minister Tan See Leng after the latter twice addressed questions by Leong.

The exchange occurred during Tuesday's tempestuous 13.5 hour debate on the motion tabled by Wong on securing Singaporeans’ jobs and livelihood, and a separate motion by Leong and fellow PSP NCMP Hazel Poa on foreign talent policy. A considerable part of the debate was focused on several ministers rebutting Leong's views on the Singapore-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA). 

At the 9:47:56 mark of the marathon session, shortly after Dr Tan spoke in response to Leong's motion, Dr Balakrishnan is seen giving him a thumbs up. Someone can then be heard remarking, "He is illiterate."

Subsequently, at the 9:49:17 mark, after Dr Tan delivers his remarks, someone asks, "How did he get into RI?" Leong's resume on his LinkedIn account indicates he was a student at Raffles Institution from 1972 to 1977 where he did his 'O' and 'A' Levels. 

Another voice chimes in, "Must have been a lousy school". Someone then said, "I'm from Monk's Hill." According to an interview with Dr Tan published in The Peak on 1 July 2013, the minister studied at Monk’s Hill primary and secondary schools.

In the background of both clips, the mic at the podium where Tan spoke is glowing red, indicating that it had not been switched off. 

Related stories

露出马脚

Tells you what they really think Ah 

In public, every school good school 

in private, lousy school :XD:

Jit Kor Toh Lou lai eh? Simi Lao yah oh thng lai eh :XD:

Edited by Mustank
  • Haha! 1

35 minutes ago, Scion said:

mostly negative

And what will speaker of parliament do? Nothing.

Because all same same gang. 

He should resigned long ago for all his screwups. I can imagine what he will say to others behind closed doors about peasants. Too elitist…

DR VIVIAN Balakrishnan yesterday expressed regret over a comment he made in Parliament which he described as 'one statement which will haunt me for my entire political life'.

The comment was made in 2007, when the Minister for Community Development and Sports had an exchange with fellow MP Dr Lily Neo, on whether the government could give more money to the poor so that they could afford three meals a day.

He had said: 'How much do you want? Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?'

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

DR VIVIAN Balakrishnan yesterday expressed regret over a comment he made in Parliament which he described as 'one statement which will haunt me for my entire political life'.

Simpsons always delivers... 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-02_at_2.40.24_PM.jpg

30 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Isn't it a concern if our youth prefers being distancing officer than police? Is long hours the reason? 

What's the point of being Police?  Can't even TASER a siao lang.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Let's keep quiet if we are not from RI. They don't like illiterate people. We commoners need to prostrate infront of them when they walk past.

Er shouldnt Chan Chun Sing defend the earlier statements that all schools are the same?   Orh now not the same? Or when they say its the same its the same, when they say not the same, then not the same.?   I am confused as a parent.  So should go Raffles or not ah?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

14 hours ago, Wt_know said:

actually, LMW bio very tok kong leh ...

MD in OCBC Sec, Director in Merill Lynch, PSC Scholar to Japan ... how many here can do that?

https://www.parliament.gov.sg/docs/default-source/default-document-library/bio-of-mr-leong-mun-wai.pdf

nonetheless, never look down on people 

the school you attended, the degree you got, the job that you do does not define you as the "best person" .... [confused] 

Mr Leong looks much more established in private sector than our generals parachuted in.. 😂 👍

• Praise 7

17 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Dis is so xia xuay

if your salary is > $1,000,000 then .... talk ..... [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Mrmilktooth said:

Mr Leong looks much more established in private sector than our generals parachuted in.. 😂 👍

Looking at the CV,  most definitely.😎

1 minute ago, Arogab said:

Looking at the situation, our G is losing points all the time over each incidents. It was never like last time liao

Bro, stop reminiscing the past.  It is long gone.

• Haha! 2

Vivian Balakrishnan can be heard mocking Leong Mun Wai - “He’s illiterate”, “How did he get into RI?”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/vivian-balakrishnan-apology-leong-mun-wai-parliament-private-comments-2179996

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/po7s8y/vivian_balakrishnan_can_be_heard_mocking_leong/

image.png.573e0858c3ca3648decbfe52275c6c85.png

SINGAPORE: Minister for Foreign Affairs Vivian Balakrishnan said on Wednesday (Sep 15) that he has called Progress Singapore Party's (PSP) NCMP Leong Mun Wai to apologise for his "private comments to a colleague" in Parliament on Tuesday.

"I disagree with him on the issue, but I should not have said what I said," Dr Balakrishnan wrote in a Facebook post. "Mr Leong has accepted my apology."

Mr Leong was involved in a 10-hour debate in Parliament about foreign labour, Singaporeans' jobs and livelihoods, as well as free trade agreements.

The debate started on Tuesday afternoon and stretched past midnight.

In a video of the sitting, which was livestreamed on the YouTube channel of the Ministry of Communications and Information, a voice can be heard saying "he's illiterate", after Manpower Minister Tan See Leng replied to a question from Mr Leong.

A voice is heard a few minutes later saying "seriously, how did he get into RI? Must have been a lousy school".

According to his LinkedIn profile, Mr Leong attended Raffles Institution in the 1970s.

Clips of the comments have been widely shared on social media.

In a statement on Wednesday evening, Mr Leong said he had received a call from Dr Balakrishnan, who "conveyed his apology". 

"I accepted his apology. Let’s put our time to better use for Singapore and Singaporeans," Mr Leong said.

However, he added that he is "also curious to know" who else had been involved in the conversation and "the reason why they held the institution that (he) attended in contempt".

Early Wednesday morning, Parliament passed a motion by Finance Minister Lawrence Wong on securing Singaporeans' jobs and livelihoods.

Parliament also rejected a competing motion by Mr Leong, who called on the Government to "take urgent and concrete action to address widespread anxiety among Singaporeans on jobs and livelihoods caused by the foreign talent policy".

The motions were debated together but voted on separately.

In a post on PSP's Facebook page, the party's secretary-general Francis Yuen said Mr Leong and NCMP Hazel Poa "stood their ground" and spoke up "passionately".

Noting that the debate was about "protecting the interests of our Singapore core", Mr Yuen added: "This core will have to be complemented by real foreign talent that is brought in through sound foreign talent policies and effective implementation by the relevant government agencies."

Mr Yuen said that the debate was not about racism or xenophobia, although "relentless attempts have been made to label PSP as such".

"We believe the public knows and understand why we had to table the motion and get this debate going," he added.

"Unlike some quarters who may find dissenting voices illiterate, we have confidence that our fellow Singaporeans are enlightened and educated, and will not miss the woods for the trees."

In a separate statement, Mr Yuen also said that it was "shocking to listen to such remarks coming from a minister and a diplomat representing Singapore".

"His disdain for a fellow parliamentarian and disrespect for a very renowned school is disappointing to say the least."

Edited by DOBIEMKZ
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1