Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Actually every time there is an announcement of pending increase in car tax, there is always a rush of people buying cars.

Or rumour of DORSCON orange, people flock to NTUC.

So if a bank is found in breach and potentially facing govt penalties, who is to say a bank run is out of the question?

How much do you think a fine for breaching Work permit "guidelines" will be? It will be peanuts for any bank.

The question is whether Singaporeans will be willing to punish a bank by withdrawing their funds from a bank who is found to be hiring foreigners over Singaporeans. Will they go through the hassle of closing their bank account for the principle of it? What about if the bank is paying 0.1% more interest than another bank? Is your principle worth the extra 0.1%?

I know for me, I will be too lazy to close an account much what more to say for an extra 0.1% yield.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

5 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I finally know why OYK is out of MOE. The statements below just make no sense from Mathematics and English point of view

Parliament: Singaporeans in senior roles in financial services grew more than 50% from 2014 to 2019, says Ong Ye Kung

In 2014, there were 1,700 Singaporeans holding such top-level positions - from managing director and above. The number grew to 2,600 last year, said Mr Ong.

"That is more than a 50 per cent increase in five years, or an additional 900 Singaporeans taking up senior roles, embarking on a new and fulfilling stage in their careers," he said.

According to MAS estimates, Mr Ong said the total number of senior positions in the financial services sector grew from 3,900 in 2014 to 5,900 last year.

While the proportion of Singaporeans in these roles has held steady - at about 44 per cent - their absolute numbers have increased, he added.

• Total no. of senior positions in financial services sector => 3,900
  • Total no. of Singaporeans holding senior positions => 1,700 (43.59%)
  • Total no. of non-Singaporean holding senior positions => 2,200 (56.41%)

• Total no. of senior positions in financial services sector => 5,900
  • Total no. of Singaporeans holding senior positions => 2,600 (44.07%)
  • Total no. of non-Singaporean holding senior positions => 3,300 (55.93%)

Absolute numbers:

• Additional 900 Singaporeans taking up senior roles (+52.94%)
  • Additional 1,100 non-Singaporeans taking up senior roles (+50%)

End of the day, there are still more jobs going to non-Singaporean (there is also a 50% increment in non-Singaporean taking up senior roles), so the last statement by OYK is absurd to say the least.

... I think he meant 1700->2600. I don't think it is absurd. 

In fact, I give him lots of marks for showing the numbers for "SIngaporeans" and not the bulls**t "locals" number. 

I thought Leong Mun Wai point is much better than Jamus. Minister teo was bragging that 9k increase in foreign worker jobs is offsetted by 35k increase in "local" jobs... She did not say that every year we accept 30k new PRs every year. so the new jobs created of true Singaporeans could be much less than 35k. I think it is really a valid point as that will change the 35k significantly. I mean why put up numbers if you are not prepared to clarify them. What everyone needs to know is exactly what is the job market like for Singaporeans and if you can't even furnish an accurate number... what is the point?

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

How much do you think a fine for breaching Work permit "guidelines" will be? It will be peanuts for any bank.

The question is whether Singaporeans will be willing to punish a bank by withdrawing their funds from a bank who is found to be hiring foreigners over Singaporeans. Will they go through the hassle of closing their bank account for the principle of it? What about if the bank is paying 0.1% more interest than another bank? Is your principle worth the extra 0.1%?

I know for me, I will be too lazy to close an account much what more to say for an extra 0.1% yield.

Let's agree to disagree here.  I have a foreigner friend who did tell me that beneath the calm surface of Singaporeans, there is a lot of suppressed rage.  The right catalyst and it will all come out.

My socio teacher pointed out to Germany in the 1930s where the people were educated and peaceful so why did they listen to Hitler? Cos of the right catalyst and environment.

Would a fine on a bank spark chaos? I doubt it but I have always been famous for saying one thing and the opposite happens.

It only takes a spark....  So let's agree to disagree.

My two cents.

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

How come? Aircon not cold in parliment?

Maybe with more qualified opposition, PM is also nervous? After seeing how ministers under him are speaking, he stressed?

I would be stressed also if staff under me started crying during presentations, even if its internal ones.... :D

• Haha! 6

33 minutes ago, Chongster said:

wet armpits!  

I thought it is a shirt design....

he really not feeling well?? But he sounds ok. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Wah lao eh, after 1 hour of talking, nothing concrete, maciam ah gong telling stories...😡

I thought the part about attracting investment is quite true... We need to treasure our reputation for a stable and good place to invest. We cannot anyhow change our mind once we sign a contract. or keep changing our policies...

I kind of said the same things here but...

People just hear what they want to hear. 

Edited by Wind30

14 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Wah lao eh, after 1 hour of talking, nothing concrete, maciam ah gong telling stories...😡

He never say any breaking news? [confused]

12 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I thought it is a shirt design....

he really not feeling well?? But he sounds ok. 

Breaking into cold sweat?

8 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I thought the part about attracting investment is quite true... We need to treasure our reputation for a stable and good place to invest. We cannot anyhow change our mind once we sign a contract. or keep changing our policies...

I kind of said the same things here but...

People just hear what they want to hear. 

No doubt, the idea is there, after a disastrous loss of another GRC, keeping the ruling party on their toes. But what we want to hear, are what concrete plans the government have, to ensure the Singaporean core doesn't get eroded, so that jobs are not unfairly given to foreigners, even though Singaporeans who are just as skilled are available, and perhaps even cheaper than a foreigner.

Maybe the ruling party should read forums more often, people who already outright say what wouldn't work. Increasing EP and S Pass entry salary requirements don't work, Jobs Bank doesn't work.

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

He never say any breaking news? [confused]

Breaking news is a cheap shot, Sylvia Lim post a photo on social media saying what a skyline, and PM says indirectly she is acknowledging how well the PAP government has done, to make all these happen. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Breaking news is a cheap shot, Sylvia Lim post a photo on social media saying what a skyline, and PM says indirectly she is acknowledging how well the PAP government has done, to make all these happen. 🤦‍♂️

Ownself praise ownself again?