Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

First, without opposition,  they were there merely formality to pass any law, what debate are we talking? With opposition,  they need to at least say something before pass it anyway. Choice of words, progressive wages don't know what it means. Bottom line, if I don't get min amount to survive, Oxford enlglish terminology also doesn't help me. Please give minimum wage to survive. 

Edited by Victor68
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

31 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

First, without opposition,  they were there merely formality to pass any law, what debate are we talking? With opposition,  they need to at least say something before pass it anyway. Choice of words, progressive wages don't know what it means. Bottom line, if I don't get min amount to survive, Oxford enlglish terminology also doesn't help me. Please give minimum wage to survive. 

Well said. Edward chis too standard n bizman reply.

And his ib making mockeries but not helping at all coz talk cock.

Louis's more steady. Pushing for correction.

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

But you guys need to see things in logical way. Don't you guys see the way this person write things are all very logical and supported with facts. 

It is very important to not to have a bias mindset.. Be as open as possible even if this person you feel is say pap ib, troll or what. What if this person said is all true and with logic and supported with facts. So we need to seperate out between these things. 

13 minutes ago, Spurman said:

1.3k min wage tell whole world i also pai seh. For singaporean 1.3k a mth jiak simi leh. Haiz

This I fully agree as a very small business owner lo ... 

if me as a business owner cannot even pay every of my full time staffs a minimum salary of 1,300 monthly in Singapore , I think I have to considered if my business should carry on or not lo ....

This kind of boss always claims that their manpower cost is high lo but they themselves salary and bonuses high high can lo but when come staff salary , all talk until like an increase of few hundred dollars can bring down the whole company and then more will lose their jobs in the end ... 

and I think that a minimum salary of 1,300 is actually not very enough to live properly in Singapore lo ..

As a owner , you would want all your staffs to have a bare minimum of not having to worry about their meals and a roof over their head and inspire to continuously try to improve the life of all your staffs lo 

Edited by Hubwee
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

On 10/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Wind30 said:

It seems not many people in mcf is in favour of min wages...

I support. If we can have mandatory CPF contribution, FW levy, stupid REITs that drive up rental every year (guess who took the biggest cut), we can have min wage to ensure basic subsistence living.

So many countries, even HK, have minimum wage and if set appropriately and implemented gradually, job displacement will be minimal. 

But we already have it, it is called progressive wage model (minimum wages with discrimination against cheap FW). The discussion is more form than substance.

• Praise 4

18 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

But you guys need to see things in logical way. Don't you guys see the way this person write things are all very logical and supported with facts. 

It is very important to not to have a bias mindset.. Be as open as possible even if this person you feel is say pap ib, troll or what. What if this person said is all true and with logic and supported with facts. So we need to seperate out between these things. 

Why would people call him a troll if he writes in a "very logical and supported with facts"? He reaps what he sow. Same league as calvin cheng and jason chua. Yes u can quote him, but I'm letting others here know this guy is an IB and troll that's all. Carry on.

• Praise 2

Some SME bosses are kind and empathize with the local workers.. 
They are willing to reward and groom them  so that the bosses can relax a bit more...

However, most of the SME bosses are filled with insecurities...

Make money also want to find ways to squeeze the workers..

Scare this & that and worry abt worker’s betrayal and the list go on....

End of the day , always complain cannot get workers...

As a result, see how many local SMEs made It to the world stage? 

• Praise 4

On 10/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, Watwheels said:

sgp more than 90% companies are local SMEs, when minimum wage reach a high point a lot of the small companies will not be able to afford any labour. They might have to close shop or go "fully automated" (we all know that's BS) and ppl will have no job. Maybe that's why skillfuture exist. Govt wants ppl to upgrade themselves and keep upgrading to get the higher pay instead of relying on a minimum wage model to have their wage increased. It's not perfect but you get the idea.

Well... the  govt that warns about minimum wage practices maximum wage for themselves and even creates so many such post .. (redundant mayors and president etc) .. 🤔🤔

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

7 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Well... the  govt that warns about minimum wage practices maximum wage for themselves and even creates so many such post .. (redundant mayors and president etc) .. 🤔🤔

Talk is cheap...

All along , sinkies are shortchanged ..

End of the day, the sandwich class suffers..

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Why would people call him a troll if he writes in a "very logical and supported with facts"? He reaps what he sow. Same league as calvin cheng and jason chua. Yes u can quote him, but I'm letting others here know this guy is an IB and troll that's all. Carry on.

That simi kevin cheng. Fake zheng jia ying and less yandao. Really por lampar to max. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

I think the biggest consideration for min wage (to implement or not) is the large number of FWs here. First they provide cheap labour suppressing local wages. If we have official min wages, there will be a lot of pressure from NGOs and foreign govts to have it applicable for these FWs as well. How to tolak them? How to justify 2 different wages for same job? Now our ministars can't even negotiate a better CECA, don't think they can deal with those pressures.

So just implement something else lor - progressive wages etc applicable only for citizens and PRs. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

21 minutes ago, Playtime said:

In an open economy, more pay for workers mean less for landlords and other parasites, viable business have to survive one way or another. 

People forget politics is sometimes about deciding how the pie is cut. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Freeder said:

Some SME bosses are kind and empathize with the local workers.. 
They are willing to reward and groom them  so that the bosses can relax a bit more...

However, most of the SME bosses are filled with insecurities...

Make money also want to find ways to squeeze the workers..

Scare this & that and worry abt worker’s betrayal and the list go on....

End of the day , always complain cannot get workers...

As a result, see how many local SMEs made It to the world stage? 

IMHO, many SMEs only know how to cut costs and not how to increase revenue.

Example a shop that is not earning much.  The easier way is cut salaries. The harder was is getting more people to come to the shop to spend

• Praise 1

Before saying minimum wage is not feasible, ask yourself first...have you ever been a low wage worker and on workfare? I have and I can tell you minimum wage is a must for fellow Singaporeans.

The workfare income supplement they give every month is pathetic.

The only good thing that came out of me been on workfare last year is the $3000 they give during this year COVID budget.

I think I mentioned before. I know a Singaporean auntie in F&B who worked 6 days a week including weekend from 11am to 10pm. Her take home pay every month including OT is.........$1200+. You can imagine how low her basic pay is.

Unless one has been in the situation else whatever he said is just his thoughts influenced by others. Talk is cheap...sorry it’s free.

It’s OK for them to have maximum wage but not OK for low wage workers to have minimum wage. 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 7
  • Angry 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Before saying minimum wage is not feasible, ask yourself first...have you ever been one and on workfare? I have and I can tell you minimum wage is a must for fellow Singaporeans.

The workfare income supplement they give every month is pathetic.

The only good thing that came out of me been on workfare last year is the $3000 they give during this year budget.

I think I mentioned before. I know a Singaporean auntie who worked 6 days a week including weekend from 11am to 10pm. Her take home pay every month including OT is.........$1200+. You can imagine how low her basic pay is.

It’s not surprising... but our ministars chose to ignore n focus on useless projects...

u can go to those ulu areas and u will be surprised abt the current situation now..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4