Parliament debate 2020/2021

Yewheng

53 minutes ago, Spurman said:

This not true. His company posted that ad in 2019 leh. B4 he embark on his part time mp career

But question is does it mean he thinks 2000 is minimum. 

Or he pays some others 1200..

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Erm.. Why says government is not okay for low wage workers to get below 1.3k a month? Just that they knew the side effects of it.. Really any increase in wage need to be matched by productivity.. That's the key.. If government don't care, then there will not have pwm, there will not have union to push for wage increase with increased skillset.. 

I agree that productivity is one part of the equation.

Nevertheless, business owners should not simply rely on cheap workers as an excuse to run a business that doesn't keep up with times.

If a business cannot evolve, it should just close down.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Playtime said:

But question is does it mean he thinks 2000 is minimum. 

Or he pays some others 1200..

Nowadays 1.3k salary wont attract any singaporeans to work liao leh. Say a driver. 1.3k ah. He go drive grab more shiok and more monies. Tbh 1.8k to 2.5k a month now is required to hire singaporeans liao leh.

• Praise 2

If a business can't pay a worker 1300 and stay afloat, then let other better players take over. Haidilao and Beauty in the Pot are eyeing your soon-to-be-empty shop to rent...

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

If a business can't pay a worker 1300 and stay afloat, then let other better players take over. Haidilao and Beauty in the Pot are eyeing your soon-to-be-empty shop to rent...

Hahaha... you mean the edible type haidilao.. or the beauty type 🤣

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

I agree that productivity is one part of the equation.

Nevertheless, business owners should not simply rely on cheap workers as an excuse to run a business that doesn't keep up with times.

If a business cannot evolve, it should just close down.

Like I said.. Later close close = more employees get affected.. Not just low wage workers.. 

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Oh ya there is another part.. If can't reduce government regulations, at least keep think of ways how to simplify it and also another aspect is to keep a lookout on who is loobying government to their advantage and get rid of them.. These are the people that only end up benefit themselves at the expense of others most of which is linked to increase in cost of living. 

You keep on talking about reduce govt regulation.

On the other hand, you cannot point out what needs to be reduced 

• Haha! 1

32 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Like I said.. Later close close = more employees get affected.. Not just low wage workers.. 

To a certain extent. these businesses hinder the society from evolution.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You keep on talking about reduce govt regulation.

On the other hand, you cannot point out what needs to be reduced 

I only drive private hire and I am sure there are many regulations that can be reduced based on interactions with friends and etc.. I really cannot pin point exactly what can be reduced. But I am 100% sure if government would to go deep and ask business owner (not those below them or union or etc), they will surely have a lot to complain on need to comply this and that regulations and etc. So this is the one government should look out for.. 

I give you one example, I get to know that even how much Internet speed needed as mimimum requirement for one of the business. If don't meet the requirements, I don't know what is the penalty.. This is just by casual chat with my friend. So you see even Internet speed government also want to step in. Like recent parliment debate.. Its about Internet speed again.. Wp ask about to increase in Internet speed to provide to consumers in view of more people work from home.. Government replied that the mimimum Internet speed for new sign up for Internet service provider is already at 300mps or 500mps I can't quite remember and that is more then sufficient for consumers. I am thinking.. Hey this one also need to regulate? Our Internet speed is one of the fastest in the world and wp feel still not enough and want to regulate somemore? Not just wp, pap also.. Everything is need government to regulate.. Like that doing businesses really very very difficult and the cost of compliance really end up get passed down to consumers and or reduce profit, that resulted in less money to set aside to grow the business. 

What I scared the most is with covid-19 situation, government might think that we need to regulate more. Duh.. Like that gg already.... So hope government to realised this and not over regulate in post covid-19 world. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

(edited)
20 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

To a certain extent. these businesses hinder the society from evolution.

In fact it is the opposite, it is big government, increasing government regulations that hinder society from evolution.. Coz what government does is to make doing business more expensive. When doing business more expensive, how can business have more money to expend and invest in better and newer technologies and etc? 

Maybe when ccs go walk around in neighbourhood shops. He should ask every businesses owner this question.. What regulations do you think need to remove or difficult to comply. Then he will get a feel of how regulated it is to do business. 

Edited by Yewheng

3 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

I only drive private hire and I am sure there are many regulations that can be reduced based on interactions with friends and etc.. I really cannot pin point exactly what can be reduced. But I am 100% sure if government would to go deep and ask business owner (not those below them or union or etc), they will surely have a lot to complain on need to comply this and that regulations and etc. So this is the one government should look out for.. 

I give you one example, I get to know that even how much Internet speed needed as mimimum requirement for one of the business. If don't meet the requirements, I don't know what is the penalty.. This is just by casual chat with my friend. So you see even Internet speed government also want to step in. Like recent parliment debate.. Its about Internet speed again.. Wp ask about to increase in Internet speed to provide to consumers in view of more people work from home.. Government replied that the mimimum Internet speed for new sign up for Internet service provider is already at 300mps or 500mps I can't quite remember and that is more then sufficient for consumers. I am thinking.. Hey this one also need to regulate? Our Internet speed is one of the fastest in the world and wp feel still not enough and want to regulate somemore? Not just wp, pap also.. Everything is need government to regulate.. Like that doing businesses really very very difficult and the cost of compliance really end up get passed down to consumers. 

What business got required minimum internet speed?
Without the ability to pinpoint what’s redundant regulation, how do you expect govt to reduce it?
Your friend is the user. Not civil servants.

A lot of times, what you mentioned end up become coffee shop talk only

4 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

In fact it is the opposite, it is big government, increasing government regulations that hinder society from evolution.. Coz what government does is to make doing business more expensive. When doing business more expensive, how can business have more money to expend and invest in better and newer technologies and etc? 

In Singapore, 2 biggest cost is Rent and HR cost.

You can’t even pinpoint the compliant cost required 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mothership.sg/2020/09/singaporeans-two-jobs//amp

Oh ya another one.. Can't imagine if let's say this one also get pass down by law that employers must allow employees to take up 2 jobs if they want.. Another set of regulations. All regulations.. Some are just pain in the ass and some make no sense if government go and ask these business owner in details, not ask union or what hor is the real business owner in person. 

35 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

What business got required minimum internet speed?
Without the ability to pinpoint what’s redundant regulation, how do you expect govt to reduce it?
Your friend is the user. Not civil servants.

A lot of times, what you mentioned end up become coffee shop talk only

Coffeeshop talk is enough, coz sometimes it is these coffeeshop talk that people are relax and willing to share more information.. And sometimes these information are very important part of what they dislike government about that includes regulations that they hate and etc.. 

5 hours ago, Philipkee said:

IMHO, many SMEs only know how to cut costs and not how to increase revenue.

Example a shop that is not earning much.  The easier way is cut salaries. The harder was is getting more people to come to the shop to spend

There are too many red tape imposed by our government. All such regulations/rules are beyond the control of the bosses. 

The only cost cutting control is it own company headcount and wage costs. Ultimately is us as employee that suffer due to the rising cost of living. 

Imo the discussion shouldn't be politicise instead it should be center on how and what policy can help employee to tie over during such unprecedented period. What amount constitute sufficient to sustain a bare minimum standard of living in spore?

Is 1300 sufficient? We aren't expert. Government given their resources should be able to come up a sum and mechanism to prevent abuse of the minimum wages scheme if they do go ahead which such scheme. What is the optimal point where we can have the minimum sum and still able to maintain a competitive edge in attracting foreign investment.

I am very sure 99% here in mcf won't need the minimum sum to sustain our cost of living. 

However there are many which need the minimum sum to sustain their basic cost of living.

Hahaha...stir coffee view.

Edited by Kopites

Now also got simi pdpa. Personal data protectionnact thingy which tiagong every business need to comply to. If not kena fine. Need setup a good system and means to protect customee. Company datas etc.

If not kenq fine min 10k to 1m. Wtf

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

Imo the discussion shouldn't be politicise instead it should be center on how and what policy can help employee to tie over during such unprecedented period. What amount constitute sufficient to sustain a bare minimum standard of living in spore?

Is 1300 sufficient? We aren't expert.

Just for curiosity.  Let's just say $1300 is minimum sum needed.  Why can't the government just mandate it? As in CPF contribution rate be cut until he takes home $1300 monthly.

Let's just say a person takes home $1000 monthly after CPF.  His salary is actually $1360 when you consider employee and employer contribution to CPF.  Why not then just let him take back $1300 and let the contribution be $60 monthly?

If its money aka kaching from CPF, the person who takes home $1000 now has 30% more disposable income with him and is likely to spend more, need slightly less aid and so on so it shouldn't be a major issue at all

But i am a low rank nurse so what do I know?  :D

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Just for curiosity.  Let's just say $1300 is minimum sum needed.  Why can't the government just mandate it? As in CPF contribution rate be cut until he takes home $1300 monthly.

Let's just say a person takes home $1000 monthly after CPF.  His salary is actually $1360 when you consider employee and employer contribution to CPF.  Why not then just let him take back $1300 and let the contribution be $60 monthly?

If its money aka kaching from CPF, the person who takes home $1000 now has 30% more disposable income with him and is likely to spend more, need slightly less aid and so on so it shouldn't be a major issue at all

But i am a low rank nurse so what do I know?  :D

old already nothing in CPF how.   

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1