Trouble with Workshop for Accident Claims

yellowstrength

Urgent Advice Needed - Trouble with Workshop for Accident Claims

Good evening all,

Posting here as there's very limited information on motorbikes..

I am both a driver and a rider.

I got into an accident this year where a car hit me when he was exiting a carpark when I was riding.

I’ve received a letter from TP stating that the driver has committed an offence of Careless driving causing hurt and action has been taken by the TP against the driver.

I’ve engaged a law firm to initiate the claims. My understanding is that on usual basis if you choose to go with your law firm’s workshop, you’ll not need to pay anything upfront for the repair of the bike as the law firm will settle everything for you.

As for myself, I’ve chosen to go to my trusted regular workshop to conduct the repairs and the law firm previously told me that in this case I’ll have to pay the upfront repair costs and I was fine with it, as I trust my workshop. I was estimating the bill to be in the range of $2 to $3K maximum. For whole bike respray, alignment and some accessories (brake levers, handle bar grips etc).

Initially when I send the bike in for repairs, I have asked several times regarding the estimated repair costs that I will have to pay but did not get an answer. 4 months down the road, the repair is finally done after chasing the workshop numerous times and the bill came up to around $7K.

I am totally shocked as I did not expect the bill to be this high. My repairs were mainly respray, alignment and some of the accessories (brake levers, handle bar grips). Nothing was done to the engine as it wasn’t affected. The workshop did not inform me about the the estimated costs before commencing on the work, although I’ve chased them a few times. If they had told me the costs of $7.1K before starting the work, I will have never given permission for them to go ahead as I am not able to fork out upfront. And honestly, for the few work that is done, $7.1K is extraordinary high. The workshop claims that this is the amount that is given by the independent surveyor, whom was contacted by the workshop.

Right now, the workshop wants me to pay for the $7.1K before they can release the bike, the repair invoice and the independent surveyor’s report to me. My law firm requires the repair invoice and the independent surveyor’s report before they can raise the claims against the third party insurer.

On a check with my law firm, they said that it is highly unlikely that I will be able to claim this $7.1K back in full, as the costs are way too high and that the third party surveyor may give a much lower repair cost. So if that happens, the liability of 80% may work out to be around $3K to $3.5K. Law firm also recommended me to pay the full sum as previously I chose this workshop and there’s nothing much that they can do.

Will you guys be able to advise on what I should do? I am not able to come out with a bill of $7.1K. I need the invoice and surveyor’s report for my law firm to initiate the claims as I have injury and medical claims as well. However, without paying the repair costs of $7.1K, the whole case may come to a stop and I’ll not get my compensation for medical and loss of income due to the accident.

Please kindly give me some advices! Extremely helpless on this case. Thank you very much!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, yellowstrength said:

Good evening all,

I got into an accident this year where a car hit me when he was exiting a carpark when I was riding.

I’ve received a letter from TP stating that the driver has committed an offence of Careless driving causing hurt and action has been taken by the TP against the driver.

I’ve engaged a law firm to initiate the claims. My understanding is that on usual basis if you choose to go with your law firm’s workshop, you’ll not need to pay anything upfront for the repair of the bike as the law firm will settle everything for you.

As for myself, I’ve chosen to go to my trusted regular workshop to conduct the repairs and the law firm previously told me that in this case I’ll have to pay the upfront repair costs and I was fine with it, as I trust my workshop. I was estimating the bill to be in the range of $2 to $3K maximum. For whole bike respray, alignment and some accessories (brake levers, handle bar grips etc).

Initially when I send the bike in for repairs, I have asked several times regarding the estimated repair costs that I will have to pay but did not get an answer. 4 months down the road, the repair is finally done after chasing the workshop numerous times and the bill came up to around $7K.

I am totally shocked as I did not expect the bill to be this high. My repairs were mainly respray, alignment and some of the accessories (brake levers, handle bar grips). Nothing was done to the engine as it wasn’t affected. The workshop did not inform me about the the estimated costs before commencing on the work, although I’ve chased them a few times. If they had told me the costs of $7.1K before starting the work, I will have never given permission for them to go ahead as I am not able to fork out upfront. And honestly, for the few work that is done, $7.1K is extraordinary high. The workshop claims that this is the amount that is given by the independent surveyor, whom was contacted by the workshop.

Right now, the workshop wants me to pay for the $7.1K before they can release the bike, the repair invoice and the independent surveyor’s report to me. My law firm requires the repair invoice and the independent surveyor’s report before they can raise the claims against the third party insurer.

On a check with my law firm, they said that it is highly unlikely that I will be able to claim this $7.1K back in full, as the costs are way too high and that the third party surveyor may give a much lower repair cost. So if that happens, the liability of 80% may work out to be around $3K to $3.5K. Law firm also recommended me to pay the full sum as previously I chose this workshop and there’s nothing much that they can do.

Will you guys be able to advise on what I should do? I am not able to come out with a bill of $7.1K. I need the invoice and surveyor’s report for my law firm to initiate the claims as I have injury and medical claims as well. However, without paying the repair costs of $7.1K, the whole case may come to a stop and I’ll not get my compensation for medical and loss of income due to the accident.

Please kindly give me some advices! Extremely helpless on this case. Thank you very much!

Hi bro,

Hope you have recovered from the accident already!

I think the issues are on the workshop and your pre-claim communication.

The workshop clearly did not do a pre-evaluated estimate of the repairs where you have thought that the cost is only $2K plus. I think if you decided to pursue it, it will be another lawsuit with you and the workshop.

If you know the workshop, maybe you wanna work out something with him privately? Like paying half of the sum then he issues the invoice so you can do the claim. My take is you can claim how much you claim how much. The rest you just take it as a lesson lor. If you can pay your mistakes with money, it is a mistake well learn. Don't stress too much. Money can earn back one.

If not, I am sure you have a spare key for your bike, You train your 100M sprint lor, you run inside the workshop, start the bike, then ride away like a John Wick.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47a4grgbpgi5f79pjo4e

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 6

4 hours ago, yellowstrength said:

Good evening all,

Expensive lesson.

Pay and move on.

At least now you know how trustworthy your "trusted" workshop is

Fighting the law or fighting bad entities is for the rich... you need deep pockets to even start

I don't think you can even scrap your bike without physical possession.

• Praise 5

Hope there is no serious injury and you have recovered. 

Before the workshop can start the repair works, they will need to assess the damages and give you an official quotation (together with the 3rd party surveyor). If you agree to the repairs on the list, you will sign and the works will proceed. I suppose there was a communication break-down between WS and yourself?

Now that the repairs have been done and you dispute the costs perhaps you can try to get the same law firm to help. If not, like what Koba mentioned, you can try to negotiate privately with the WS for a lower fee or pay by installments. 

Lastly, can stop going to this WS in future if they had proceeded with the repairs without consent and the mark-up was excessive.

• Praise 4

expensive lesson, the big mistake is different law firm and ws for the same case.

usually u approach the 3rd party ws to repair and claim for u , they will engage their own lawyer. the claim amount will be a few hundred % high then what u usually do. ( like your case u assume 3k, become 7k) .

depending on ws and how the accident happen, if 100% win type they will give u b&w u wont need pay a single cents up front

then both insurance will trash it out and settle ( in most cases a lesser amount then what is claimed ) any inj /lost of use claim, that ws lawyer will claim for u also.

if that ws claim much higher, he make more profit, if his lawyer lousy fight lose he make less or even lost, that is the risk they take. 

by engaging your own lawyer ( i dun know why u do that ) u take away their risk and trouble .

the best best sensorio is talk to ws boss, ask them give abit discount , u take some lost and move on. and hopefully your own lawyer can claim as much as possible for the remaining cost.

• Praise 8

23 minutes ago, Beregond said:

expensive lesson, the big mistake is different law firm and ws for the same case.

usually u approach the 3rd party ws to repair and claim for u , they will engage their own lawyer. the claim amount will be a few hundred % high then what u usually do. ( like your case u assume 3k, become 7k) .

depending on ws and how the accident happen, if 100% win type they will give u b&w u wont need pay a single cents up front

then both insurance will trash it out and settle ( in most cases a lesser amount then what is claimed ) any inj /lost of use claim, that ws lawyer will claim for u also.

if that ws claim much higher, he make more profit, if his lawyer lousy fight lose he make less or even lost, that is the risk they take. 

by engaging your own lawyer ( i dun know why u do that ) u take away their risk and trouble .

the best best sensorio is talk to ws boss, ask them give abit discount , u take some lost and move on. and hopefully your own lawyer can claim as much as possible for the remaining cost.

Yeah, recently some truck scratched my car. Left everything to my WS, only started repairs after the truck's insurer agreed to the surveyor's report and liability. The WS also soon pian touched up other parts FOC. 

I paid nothing, now waiting for loss of use compensation.

• Praise 4

Lesson of the day... Find a workshop and let them handle the rest. Find own workshop, find own lawyer... So leceh, and in this case regrettable 

• Praise 8

9 minutes ago, Othello said:

Lesson of the day... Find a workshop and let them handle the rest. Find own workshop, find own lawyer... So leceh, and in this case regrettable 

ya , i cannot  think of any reason why 

6 hours ago, yellowstrength said:

Good evening all,

I really feel for you.

It is a really shitty situation to be caught in, and short of being blood brothers with the workshop's boss (actually, even then it might not be enough), there might not be much you can do.

Many years ago when we were young, a colleague once remarked that all the car SEs, workshops, insurance, lawyers, etc. people, got one word to describe them -- crooks!

It was meant as a joke, but years on, unfortunately i have come across more and more evidence that it could be true 😅

I was played out by my mechanic years ago. He was the boss of his own workshop, we were neighbours, and our kids were classmates!! still played me out.

Yours is worse, it sounds.

Unless you can sweettalk him into not kotok'ing you, there's little you can do. Of course, if you are much more fierce than him, and dares to play fierce, then maybe got hope - but that's not to be encouraged, obviously...

The lesson here is that all the crooks when see accidents, they smell blood, and will not hesitate to whack one big mouthful - esp now in this bad times, they will let slip such a rare opportunity. So when you let the workshop know is accident, but don't let him handle the claims (means he loses the chance to kotok one big piece), he'll fall back on getting that shortfall from you lor.

So much for trust in humanity - or your workshop.

Think it good to share the workshop name here so that others can avoid going to such place...

• Praise 6

Talk to your MP about workshop inflating repair claims.

Start a campaign to stop this practice. 

Do a good deed for all insurance buyers and get the workshop blacklisted. 

Make your trusted workshop pay for trying this. 

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

In my previous car, some guys crashed into my back and I engage a workshop to repair.

As it was a straight case of his front kiss my bumper, the workshop said confirm easy to claim. 

I sign a form to authorise the workshop to engage their in house lawyer to initiate and start the claims, once done, they will repair and the bill will be sent to the other party insurance and lawyer .

and yes, workshop don’t earn anything by changing engine oil and wear and tear parts, they make the most when they engage in accident repair and more so in these kind of straightforward front to bumper kissing cases😬

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

ya , i cannot  think of any reason why 

As a biker and driver, i can elaborate why bikers get their own WS. From personal and anecdotal experiences of biker friends, when we engage our own WS, we often receive more compensation for injuries sustained. If we were to engage WS, the WS often takes a very opaque cut of injury claims and we receive proportionately less. Often, the attractive part of using WS lawyer for lower SES bikers is that we do not need to pay repair bill upfront. The WS lawyer often does not give a black and white breakdown of compensation, and the poor bikers who are unable to afford repairs, feel assisted by WS and obligated to sign off on whatever is offered. By the time some of us upgrade to class 2 bikes and having went through claims before, we engage our own lawyers so that we get a fairer claim, but only if we now have deeper pockets.

My wife forked out 7k repair bill before, and got back 10k after claims when she got rear ended, suffering some blue-black only and whiplash. We engaged Hoh Lawyers and they took a 15% cut of the 3k injury compensation. In comparison, we have suffered worse road rash and lacerations before, but received only a couple hundred dollars or nothing, other than having the bike fixed for free without upfront costs. 

I have no experience engaging own law firm for car claims before, because no one has hit me when driving, yet. From what you guys say, it seems there is not much advantage in engaging own law firm for car claims? Anyway, it seems in most car accident claims, as drivers, we don't suffer much injuries, most of the time 

• Praise 8

28 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Talk to your MP about workshop inflating repair claims.

Start a campaign to stop this practice. 

Do a good deed for all insurance buyers and get the workshop blacklisted. 

Make your trusted workshop pay for trying this. 

:D

Quite true, that's why I leave it to my WS to settle because I know how dirty it gets behind the scene.

This problem has been around for decades but our high SES minister too busy with COVID, unemployment, FT/AMDK/CECA, etc, etc :grin:

• Praise 1

Thank you Moderators for approving my thread and moving it here.

kobayashiGT

yes I am recovering, thank you.. I am thinking if I should pursue the case, however it is an individual against a company.. I tried speaking to him and he said that privately he can do a settlement of 80% of the whole costs. Yes very stress as it is $7.1K.. not exactly a small sum 😞 I thought of it before.. But the important ones are the bike repair costs invoice and surveyor report.. Without that my law firm cannot process the injury claims.. As all has to be done together..

t0y0ta

Yes.. 😞 my first time being involved in a bike accident and I merely wanted the workshop to help me with the repairs and my own law firm to do the claims.

Naimed

Previously I signed 3 of the forms? Authorisation to repair, payment before collecting repaired bike and something else.

During circuit breaker, I towed my bike out of TP compound when it was ready, sent to IDAC for reporting and send straight to the workshop. It was circuit breaker and they urgently made me go down to sign the forms before they close that day. Since then I have asked for the signed forms (last round I asked for it was a few days back) but have not even gotten them.

After I signed the forms, 3rd party insurer (NTUC) went down for assessment, after which the workshop also sent their independent surveyor. From then I have asked the WS about the costs but they didnt let me know only until national day eve? It was a good 3 months. It is ridiculous.. 3 months that to respray the bike and do alignment while all the time I wasnt informed about the costs..

Beregond, Othello

thanks for the information! that is what my law firm told me as well if I had use their own workshop.. I googled the law firm's recommended workshop but it seems like a workshop that isn't very recognised.. That's why I trust the my workshop will handle the respray and alignment better.. Did not expect it turns out to be a 趁火打劫 case.. 😞😞😞

22 minutes ago, No_worries said:

In my previous car, some guys crashed into my back and I engage a workshop to repair.

As it was a straight case of his front kiss my bumper, the workshop said confirm easy to claim. 

I sign a form to authorise the workshop to engage their in house lawyer to initiate and start the claims, once done, they will repair and the bill will be sent to the other party insurance and lawyer .

and yes, workshop don’t earn anything by changing engine oil and wear and tear parts, they make the most when they engage in accident repair and more so in these kind of straightforward front to bumper kissing cases😬

Yes.

Maybe 10yr ago when one Wish bang'ed into my Wish when we exited CTE, and i braked and he didn't...

It was not v v serious, but it was also not the first time i was rear-ended. The first time, few years before, was even milder so we only did patch work (and didn't replace the bumper).

This time, got crack line, so we had to replace. 

The same ex-mechanic/neighbour of mine, told me if the fella going to pay out of pocket, then ask him pay up $400, and he can get a new bumper done up. I told the other driver, but he stupidly asked me to claim. I told my mechanic for $400 bill that fella claim, he's gonna lugi his NCD/premium hike etc...

Then my mech straightaway said no lah, if claiming, for the same work, will claim at least $2k 😱

(cos may people need to split the payout...)

2 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Yes.

Maybe 10yr ago when one Wish bang'ed into my Wish when we exited CTE, and i braked and he didn't...

It was not v v serious, but it was also not the first time i was rear-ended. The first time, few years before, was even milder so we only did patch work (and didn't replace the bumper).

This time, got crack line, so we had to replace. 

The same ex-mechanic/neighbour of mine, told me if the fella going to pay out of pocket, then ask him pay up $400, and he can get a new bumper done up. I told the other driver, but he stupidly asked me to claim. I told my mechanic for $400 bill that fella claim, he's gonna lugi his NCD/premium hike etc...

Then my mech straightaway said no lah, if claiming, for the same work, will claim at least $2k 😱

(cos may people need to split the payout...)

The workshop treat insurance companies like ATM machine .🤣

18 minutes ago, Pplater said:

As a biker and driver, i can elaborate why bikers get their own WS. From personal and anecdotal experiences of biker friends, when we engage our own WS, we often receive more compensation for injuries sustained. If we were to engage WS, the WS often takes a very opaque cut of injury claims and we receive proportionately less. Often, the attractive part of using WS lawyer for lower SES bikers is that we do not need to pay repair bill upfront. The WS lawyer often does not give a black and white breakdown of compensation, and the poor bikers who are unable to afford repairs, feel assisted by WS and obligated to sign off on whatever is offered. By the time some of us upgrade to class 2 bikes and having went through claims before, we engage our own lawyers so that we get a fairer claim, but only if we now have deeper pockets.

My wife forked out 7k repair bill before, and got back 10k after claims when she got rear ended, suffering some blue-black only and whiplash. We engaged Hoh Lawyers and they took a 15% cut of the 3k injury compensation. In comparison, we have suffered worse road rash and lacerations before, but received only a couple hundred dollars or nothing, other than having the bike fixed for free without upfront costs. 

I have no experience engaging own law firm for car claims before, because no one has hit me when driving, yet. From what you guys say, it seems there is not much advantage in engaging own law firm for car claims? Anyway, it seems in most car accident claims, as drivers, we don't suffer much injuries, most of the time 

Yes, this is the reason why there are:

- so many staged accidents

- so many workshops keen to do claims

- so many lawyers collude collaborate with the workshops to do claims

- so many doctors collude collaborate with the workshops to do claims

Cos the big big amount they get as payouts, will (only/mainly) be split among them. As the car owners, they will tell you that you're benefitting by having brand new parts replaced in the car!!!

The law allows this, but I still think they are crooks...

• Haha! 2

Atrecord

After this incident, I can't agree more. As the victim here I have alr sustained injuries myself and damage to property. I didnt expect these bloodsuckers.. And you are right, likely covid period they are even more desperate to do this.

I actually told the WS straight up that I understand that he helped me with the repairs and got the surveyor to come down. I cant shortchange him as he is running a biz and if he wants to earn a little out of this, I am okay with it so long I do not have a huge loss. Even hearing this he refuses to adjust the sky high costs.. Claiming only 3k out of the 7.1k, the loss for my side is 4k.. 😞

Jamesc

I have considered going to case or seeking another law firm if legal action can be taken? But there's nothing very much I can do.. The WS will have policies to protect themselves as well. And going to CASE.. It may be a complaint only and no compensation will be made to me if I were to pay the full 7.1k..

No_worries

That's no wonder why.. Actually now they are "blaming" me for engaging them as they said they would have never take up my case if I were to look for my own law firm instead..

Pplater

Thanks for the info.. Yes WS will never give a breakdown of the repairs. Instead they will give a lumpsum repair costs. I went with my law firm as they promise that unlike other law firms as you have mentioned that they will take a cut, my law firm will give me the breakdown of what the 3rd party insurer pays out to me exactly and I will then pay a separate legal fees to the law firm based on the claim amount.. Which is more transparent..

Windwaver

Indeed. Very very dark and dirty.. 😞

↡ Advertisement