High Court acquits maid of stealing S$34,000 worth of items from CAG chairman Liew Mun Leong’s home

Ysc3

I always wonder how the saying of rather give birth to a piece of Char Siew was coined. 

Some really do prefer a char siew.    

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

38 minutes ago, Somewhat1975 said:

This case reminds me of TT Durai. The Elite /rich exploited the legal system to sabo peasant.

The legal system is fair only when you can afford to hire a decent lawyer. Most of the time, peasants succumbed to the nonsense legal threats just because they don't have resources the defend themself in court.  

By the way, do you know Your Right during police detention?

Be careful what you write here.  Read this carefully.

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/singapore-protection-harassment-act/

Doxxing

A new offence under the POHA is doxxing, which came into operation on 1 January 2020. Doxxing refers to the publication of someone’s personal information with the intention to harass, threaten or facilitate violence against them. This new offence is targeted at enhancing protection of undesirable online behaviour.

An example of doxxing is sharing a person’s personal information on social media and asking others to “teach him a lesson”.

For the publication of personal information with the intention to harass, the penalties are a fine of up to $5,000 and/or an imprisonment term of 6 months.

For the publication of personal information to cause or facilitate violence, the penalties are a fine of up to $5,000 and/or an imprisonment term of 12 months.

These maximum penalties are doubled for repeat offenders.

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/laws-penalties-doxxing-singapore-examples/

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Piyopico said:

I always wonder how the saying of rather give birth to a piece of Char Siew was coined. 

Some really do prefer a char siew.    

My mother used to tell me.... Better give birth to an egg instead of me... As egg can cook and eat.

Lucky my mom not cannibalistic. 

• Haha! 3

19 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

By the way, do you know Your Right during police detention?

You mean the right to remain silent but your silence can be used against you in court?

Or you mean the right to a lawyer but only after the police deems that it will not impede their investigations?

59 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I hope the FoodPanda folks be careful with the doorbells at Chancery Lane. Don't press too many times, if not can kena jail... 

Just hang on the gate handle and then call the customer to inform them ? But then also worried the gate handle might be damaged again.... 

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

I hope the FoodPanda folks be careful with the doorbells at Chancery Lane. Don't press too many times, if not can kena jail... 

Let's not be disingenious here. The fella was jailed because his doorbell harassment was part of a debt collection harassment program.

Nothing to do with food delivery or mere doorbell pressing.

Really is 成何体统 nowadays.

Young people with good future get away.

Old people with past achievements get away.

Left with normal folks getting the full brunt of the law.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

You mean the right to remain silent but your silence can be used against you in court?

Or you mean the right to a lawyer but only after the police deems that it will not impede their investigations?

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/right-to-remain-silent-police-singapore/

Singapore’s constitution contains no equivalent of the US’ Fifth Amendment. There is a statutory privilege against self-incrimination, which means in theory that you don’t have to say anything to a police officer that tends to suggest that you’re guilty of an offence.

However, this privilege is overlaid with a number of other statutory provisions designed to give police very broad investigative powers and to compel suspects and witnesses to give a great deal of information to the police.

As a result, the rules on what you do and do not have to say, are quite complicated.

Section 22(2) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) requires you to state truly what you know “of the facts and circumstances of the case”, except that you do not have to say anything that might expose you to a criminal charge.

So in effect, you have to tell the police everything you know about the case except anything that might suggest that you did it. If you did commit the offence, then that means there is a lot you don’t have to say. But figuring out which parts you have to tell and which parts you don’t can be difficult in practice – difficult enough that you should really have a lawyer advise you on it.

1 minute ago, Fcw75 said:

Really is 成何体统 nowadays.

Young people with good future get away.

Old people with past achievements get away.

Left with normal folks getting the full brunt of the law.

Cronyism and sycophants are by-products of many years of the same party.

There is a cure though. 

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Correct. So if you don't say anything - they can take it that you are silent because you are guilty.

This is important because Sections 23 and 261 of the CPC essentially require you to get any facts, that you intend to rely on later to establish a defence of your innocence, on the record at the police station. You need to explicitly have these facts recorded in your statement, before you speak to a lawyer to figure out what defences might be available to you.

If you don’t, and only raise these facts later, the judge will be less likely to believe you and the court will be entitled to draw an adverse inference against you.

So, if you choose to remain silent or only raise certain facts that are helpful to your case after the investigative process, you could ultimately be convicted on this basis.

Just now, Weez911 said:

There is a cure though. 

人生有多少个五年?

• Sad 1

Just now, Weez911 said:

There is a cure though. 

人生有多少个五年?

26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Wait ppl ask you to see the other side of Causeway.

Political Instability.

Who? Pappies?

↡ Advertisement