High Court acquits maid of stealing S$34,000 worth of items from CAG chairman Liew Mun Leong’s home

Ysc3

7 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Huh.. Like that for example if they keep doing very bad job and still cannot be removed? Gg man.. At least need to lay out certain criteria on what to be expect and also have avenue to seek to remove from position of certain conditions are not met or sort of ma.. 

Judicial Independence 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

45 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Legal Service Commission.

CJ and Supreme Court Judge cannot be removed.

Not accurate.

(3)  If the Prime Minister, or the Chief Justice after consulting the Prime Minister, represents to the President that a person holding office as a Judge of the Supreme Court or a Judicial Commissioner, a Senior Judge or an International Judge of the Supreme Court ought to be removed on the ground of misbehaviour or of inability, from infirmity of body or mind or any other cause, to properly discharge the functions of his office, the President shall appoint a tribunal in accordance with clause (4) and shall refer that representation to it; and may on the recommendation of the tribunal remove the person from office.

[Act 39 of 2014 wef 01/01/2015]

(4)  The tribunal shall consist of not less than 5 persons who hold or have held office as a Judge of the Supreme Court, or, if it appears to the President expedient to make such an appointment, persons who hold or have held equivalent office in any part of the Commonwealth, and the tribunal shall be presided over by the member first in the following order, namely, the Chief Justice according to their precedence among themselves and other members according to the order of their appointment to an office qualifying them for membership (the older coming before the younger of 2 members with appointments of the same date).

(5)  Pending any reference and report under clause (3), the President may, if he, acting in his discretion, concurs with the recommendation of the Prime Minister and, in the case of any other Judge of the Supreme Court or a Judicial Commissioner, a Senior Judge or an International Judge of the Supreme Court, after consulting the Chief Justice, suspend a Judge of the Supreme Court, or a Judicial Commissioner, a Senior Judge or an International Judge of the Supreme Court (as the case may be) from the exercise of his functions.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/CONS1963?ProvIds=P1VIII-#pr98-

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Huh.. Like that for example if they keep doing very bad job and still cannot be removed? Gg man.. At least need to lay out certain criteria on what to be expect and also have avenue to seek to remove from position of certain conditions are not met or sort of ma.. 

Nobody can keep doing too bad a job and still hope to keep their position.

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Hubwee said:

Spoken to someone in the law circle and he jokingly replied that worst case , maybe bonus for the year affected lo ... Thats how high up they are lo ... 

I hope it's not like slap slap...from 10 to 9 mths kind...

• Shocked 1

Dig ah dig...

From CNA:

The respondents listed in Ms Parti's case are two deputy public prosecutors who dealt with her trial: Mr Tan Wee Hao, and Ms Tan Yanying. They are represented by AGC's Kristy Tan Ruyan, Jeyendran Jeyapal and Jocelyn Teo Meng Hui.

I googled and found this:

In addition Tan Yanying, the DPP in the district court case where Ms Liyani was convicted, had a connection to Liew Mun Leong through her father, Tan Yong Soon, since both were faculty colleagues at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and would have known one another and worked together when Tan was CEO of the Urban Redevelopment Authority and Liew was CEO of CapitaLand. In most countries with rule of law and conflict of interest rules this would have been enough for the DPP not to be assigned to this case. But just as with Lucien Wong, conflict of interest rules seem to have been disregarded.

😁

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 7
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 1

37 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Dig ah dig...

From CNA:

The respondents listed in Ms Parti's case are two deputy public prosecutors who dealt with her trial: Mr Tan Wee Hao, and Ms Tan Yanying. They are represented by AGC's Kristy Tan Ruyan, Jeyendran Jeyapal and Jocelyn Teo Meng Hui.

In addition Tan Yanying, the DPP in the district court case where Ms Liyani was convicted, had a connection to Liew Mun Leong through her father, Tan Yong Soon, since both were faculty colleagues at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and would have known one another and worked together when Tan was CEO of the Urban Redevelopment Authority and Liew was CEO of CapitaLand. In most countries with rule of law and conflict of interest rules this would have been enough for the DPP not to be assigned to this case. But just as with Lucien Wong, conflict of interest rules seem to have been disregarded.

😁

If the AGC are defending the two DPP in PArti case? Wouldn't AGC internal investigation of the Parti case have conflict of interest? 

Really need independent COI, all three organisation (Police, AGC, Min of Law) are doing their own inquiry..

• Praise 5

7 hours ago, Ender said:

If the AGC are defending the two DPP in PArti case? Wouldn't AGC internal investigation of the Parti case have conflict of interest? 

Really need independent COI, all three organisation (Police, AGC, Min of Law) are doing their own inquiry..

yes, I see potential conflict of interest. 

8 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Dig ah dig...

From CNA:

😁

wah wah wah ... saga level liao ... :a-popcorn:

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Nobody can keep doing too bad a job and still hope to keep their position.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahabahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Why the case of a maid who battled a millionaire has gripped Singapore

He was her employer, a titan of Singapore's business establishment and the chairman of some of the country's biggest companies.

One day, his family accused her of stealing from them. They reported her to the police - triggering what would become a high-profile court case that would grip the country with its accusations of pilfered luxury handbags, a DVD player, and even claims of cross-dressing.

Earlier this month, Parti Liyani was finally acquitted.

"I'm so glad I'm finally free," she told reporters through an interpreter. "I've been fighting for four years."

But her case has prompted questions about inequality and access to justice in Singapore, with many asking how she could have been found guilty in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54174598

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Dig ah dig...

From CNA:

😁

"nin laupeh is my bro OK ?!"

Too influential and know too many ppl also not good.... 

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

"nin laupeh is my bro OK ?!"

Too influential and know too many ppl also not good.... 

Thats why I keep saying i have the right skillset to join the elite class and be fair...

I possess temasek level skills (buy high sell low), and dun noe anyone (no friends) 

Lol... 

• Haha! 3

11 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Dig ah dig...

From CNA:

😁

conflict of interest???

husband and wife hold key related position....

Personal lawyer become key govt position holder....

President checking on govt....

image.png.b5f3a922b9671631f4835452395f0df5.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

34 minutes ago, Freeder said:

Why All so surprised ?

It has been conflict of interests for the longest time for all the elites..

No conflict for their interests mah

• Haha! 7

Reminded me of this drama, where a commoner (lowly paid stuntman cum taxi driver) went up against the chief and his gang at the Blue House.

Vagabond-1200x675.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12