High Court acquits maid of stealing S$34,000 worth of items from CAG chairman Liew Mun Leong’s home

Ysc3

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Charged liao. Probably a slap on the wrist in the end. $50 fine?

I read the ministar statement only said under investigation leh.... 

↡ Advertisement

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/parti-liyani-case-expediting-trial-process-foreigners-not-fair-13463176?cid=fbcna

Hmm.. If anyone able to programme AI to learn the world language and then can easily translate languages on what a person said. That could solve the language barriers.. 

Imagine say this maid speak Bahasa Indonesia.. This AI is able to translate and speak in English to the person interviewing this maid.. Perfect.. Problem solved.. 

On one hand there is shortage of Manpower.. On the other hand.. The future with AI.. Actually it could help in terms on replacing these shortage.. 

Edited by Yewheng

15 hours ago, Wt_know said:

no excuse!

.... Do you guys agree with the Minister explanation  that the police officer is overworked and that is why it took 5 weeks to visit the Crime scene???

There is such a BIG LOOPHOLE in this explanation and I am surprised he even accepted it...

13 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

.... Do you guys agree with the Minister explanation  that the police officer is overworked and that is why it took 5 weeks to visit the Crime scene???

There is such a BIG LOOPHOLE in this explanation and I am surprised he even accepted it...

It's true that everywhere have lack of Manpower.. But that could be part of the equation.. 

Now I think moving forward the government should be thinking of ways to incorporate AI into SPF to offload manpower issue.. Not just SPF, in all government sectors job. Now got robort that can speak and think hor.. So can see this could be the future thing that could solve the manpower issue.. 

No need review because there's nothing wrong. Next.

SINGAPORE: A motion on Singapore’s justice system moved by the Workers’ Party (WP) was passed on Wednesday (Nov 4) after amendments were made to its wording and to remove a call for a review of the system.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/workers-party-justice-system-parti-liyani-parliament-motion-13464954?cid=fbcna

pritam-singh-parliament-nov-4--2020.jpg

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Playtime said:

🤣🤣🤣... 

16045361220097491748436500399279.jpg

Gotta give it to Pritam. Add one word "future" and say out what's on everybody's mind.

Leader of the Opposition and Workers’ Party chief Pritam Singh suggested that there is a potential conflict of interest in the dual roles of the attorney-general as the Government’s legal adviser and as public prosecutor.

He said that even if an attorney-general can mentally separate the roles, the potential for conflict exists.

“The elephant in the room is that this conflict of interest could go even further and facilitate abuse by a future government,” he said.

He raised some scenarios where this could happen, such as a future attorney-general who is friendly with a future prime minister, who then decides not to prosecute the PM after he commits serious offences.

“The first and most obvious change is to split the role of government legal adviser from the role of public prosecutor. Neither role should be subordinate to the other and different offices should be formed,” he said. 

He added that the public prosecutor should not be a former Member of Parliament as they cannot help but be “a product of their previous beliefs”, and because there should be perceived independence of the system.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/workers-party-justice-system-parti-liyani-parliament-motion-13464954?cid=fbcna

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 3

$15K bail for Karl Liew, son of ex- CAG chairman, charged with giving false information and evidence in Parti Liyani case

SINGAPORE - Karl Liew, son of the former Changi Airport Group (CAG) chairman Mr Liew Mun Leong, appeared in a district court on Thursday (Nov 5), charged with giving false information to a public servant.

Liew, 43, is also accused of giving false evidence during a judicial proceeding.

Bail has been set at $15,000.

He will be back in court on Dec 17.

For giving false information to a public servant, an offender can be jailed for up to six months and fined up to $5,000.

Offenders convicted of giving false evidence during a judicial proceeding can be jailed for up to seven years and fined.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/karl-liew-son-of-ex-cag-chairman-charged-with-giving-false-information-and

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

It's true that everywhere have lack of Manpower.. But that could be part of the equation.. 

Now I think moving forward the government should be thinking of ways to incorporate AI into SPF to offload manpower issue.. Not just SPF, in all government sectors job. Now got robort that can speak and think hor.. So can see this could be the future thing that could solve the manpower issue.. 

https://www.mha.gov.sg/newsroom/in-parliament/parliamentary-speeches/news/ministerial-statement-on-parti-liyani-v-public-prosecutor-2020-sghc-187-part-1

We should read the minister statement in full.

Below is his explanation of why the police is slow in going to Liew's house. I see TWO BIG issues which the minister did not address

1) If the IO is so busy that he cannot visit the Liew house for 5 weeks, why did the Police visit the Liews on Dec 3, the day after the maid was arrested at the airport on dec 2 at 9pm??? Seriously??? I thought the police is very busy... right after the maid came back, did all their work disappear and his personal problem got resolved? It just does not add up... obviously the police could respond within HOURS if they decide to. I think an explanation is owed to the public what happened between 2dec 9pm to 3dec that triggered the sudden and immediate activity by the police. 

The reaction by the police is so wildly different (their initial super bochap attitude letting the case sit for 5 weeks, to their super on the ball response visiting the Liews within HOURS after the maid got arrested on 2dec 9pm). It just does not make sense...

2) Why did the Liew's make a police report? If it is to document the items stolen, why did the Liews not follow up for 5 weeks? If I report a theft, I would followup and ask the police to come to document down the evidence soon.... To me, the lack of followup shows the true motivation by Liews.  

"However, even if there is no seizure, it is necessary to obtain a proper record of the evidence, such as by careful photography of the items. In this case, careful photography, soon after the Police report was filed, may have been good enough. But that was not done. I said there can be no excuse. I have nevertheless asked for an explanation as to why this has happened. I am told that the officer involved had a number of other ongoing cases, prosecutions, arrest operations, and a very personal matter that he had to deal with. He seems to have been under a lot of pressure. He was in a predicament. It is a situation that many Home Team officers find themselves in. It is a reality of what our officers go through.

Nevertheless, internal investigations are being carried out in relation to the conduct of the officers involved in this case, and action will be taken as necessary.

I must say, Sir, I have noticed in various parts of the Civil Service, quite a lot of our officers are under work pressure. I have mentioned it at other points in this House. It’s the general situation in some workplaces, many workplaces in Singapore with tight manpower issues, particularly in several areas of the Civil Service."

Edited by Wind30

20 minutes ago, Blueray said:

$15K bail for Karl Liew, son of ex- CAG chairman, charged with giving false information and evidence in Parti Liyani case

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/karl-liew-son-of-ex-cag-chairman-charged-with-giving-false-information-and

Suddenly a folk song came to mind...think of the blue sea and beaches... 😁

2 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Hmmm.......... :ph34r:

Some Minister & Deputy Ministers covers 2 ministries..... :slow:

Doesn't he/she overwork ? ...  :ouch-it-hurts:

Wah lau... what's the big deal...

You can have husband wife team cover almost the whole Singapore also like that 🤣🤣

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Jellandross said:

Gotta give it to Pritam. Add one word "future" and say out what's on everybody's mind.

"Future"... he being VERYYYYY diplomatic.. in the old days JBJ would've blown it apart.. no holds barred. 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Hmmm.......... :ph34r:

Some Minister & Deputy Ministers covers 2 ministries..... :slow:

Doesn't he/she overwork ? ...  :ouch-it-hurts:

That one I tink it's still ok if overwork under perform...

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 1

Some people can simply tell a lie without blinking. Have to give it to them.

Btw, isn’t there a conflict of interest when someone is both the law minister and home affairs minister?

• Haha! 1

No lah i am chairman of my brotherhood club, but i am also the pantry boy mah. 
in fact i am also the biz development mgr and PA to Chairman at the same time. Steady leh