'End of Singapore' for expats

Mockngbrd

2 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

You're right bro.

Scary part is the more intelligent people get, the more they are like what you described (fake like hell).

Unfortunately, having good brains (like our education system) doesn't allow one to become high SES.

People like me who don't like to gossip (but genuine) will often end up at the bottom of the corporate ladder.

I guess people just enjoy stabbing each other behind their backs.

You are deem NOT to be a team player, if that's the case.

It has nothing to do with whether you are genuine or not.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

And when the street urchins use the insitu fault lines to manipulate you out of the team for their advantage?

The assessment is correct but it is a wrong decision because of the vaunted system.

HENG SUAY niah niah.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, Mockngbrd said:

“Since July the mood has dramatically shifted against foreign workers,” said another British woman who did not wish to be named. “My advice to anyone considering moving to Singapore on assignment would be – don’t do it, you have no rights here, they don’t want you.”

Boohoo.

So sad.

Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out, ok?

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Many of the expats living here don't really live here, they live in a bubble. The foreign workers also live in their own bubble but that is another story. In any case, their lives are disparate from regular Singaporeans and invariably mid-upper class, as someone points out, lives in central districts, with posh cars and kids going to international schools, that sort of thing.

Their behaviour along Singapore River during circuit breaker is but one in a line of deeds that show that they don't respect Singapore's culture and don't even try to assimilate, but generally feel that the country should bend to their customs and habits. Same goes for behaviour on the road (as cyclists or as pedestrians). 

Considering the amount of foreign talent that is here, its quite a pity that I know only a handful. And those are the exception because they broke out of their expat bubble - one is a Kiwi that took up permanent residency here, started a business and lives in a HDB flat. The other hails from PRC but was brought up here from secondary school and is about as Singaporean as you and be, bar the perfect Mandarin and PRC-sounding name. 

Outside of work, how many expats or FT do you know personally, that you would call as friends? I suspect my experience isn't unique, unless you happen to be an SPG. 

... err... I don't really know many people outside of work.

I call some of the FT from my first job (from china) very good friends. We keep in touch even after we all left that first company. 

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

You are deem NOT to be a team player, if that's the case.

It has nothing to do with whether you are genuine or not.

I am actually best in platoon leh :grin:, was given a free day off to see girlfriend.

However, I get your point (you're not wrong).

That's why I say people like to 'befriend' each other but stab behind their backs and these are considered team players; that's reality.

Nevertheless, I deliver my job all the time just that I don't like to engage in the stabbing game.

• Praise 1

We still need those top scale expats, less those ordinary and incompetent one, our local PMETs should be abled to fill-up the gap, i mean most of them are Grads holder and thy are capable of producing better result than expats

• Praise 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Macrosszero said:

Many of the expats living here don't really live here, they live in a bubble. The foreign workers also live in their own bubble but that is another story. In any case, their lives are disparate from regular Singaporeans and invariably mid-upper class, as someone points out, lives in central districts, with posh cars and kids going to international schools, that sort of thing.

Their behaviour along Singapore River during circuit breaker is but one in a line of deeds that show that they don't respect Singapore's culture and don't even try to assimilate, but generally feel that the country should bend to their customs and habits. Same goes for behaviour on the road (as cyclists or as pedestrians). 

Considering the amount of foreign talent that is here, its quite a pity that I know only a handful. And those are the exception because they broke out of their expat bubble - one is a Kiwi that took up permanent residency here, started a business and lives in a HDB flat. The other hails from PRC but was brought up here from secondary school and is about as Singaporean as you and be, bar the perfect Mandarin and PRC-sounding name. 

Outside of work, how many expats or FT do you know personally, that you would call as friends? I suspect my experience isn't unique, unless you happen to be an SPG. 

No la. You cannot generalise people like that.. There are also many good FT out there. In fact I fetched countless of FT, they all seem to be very nice people. Talk on phone very friendly, their child also seems very sweet and nice and etc. So there are always a 2 side of the coin. Think it is because of what we see as bad, we keep remember it, but when it is good, we tend to take it for granted and less likely to remember. 

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

No la. You cannot generalise people like that.. There are also many good FT out there. In fact I fetched countless of FT, they all seem to be very nice people. Talk on phone very friendly, their child also seems very sweet and nice and etc. So there are always a 2 side of the coin. Think it is because of what we see as bad, we keep remember it, but when it is good, we tend to take it for granted and less likely to remember. 

That is the bubble right there. That your "countless" interactions with them are only from fetching them.

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Even though they are nice and good FT doesnt mean they are not here to take away your job? Or bring their whole village here? [laugh]

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Even though they are nice and good FT doesnt mean they are not here to take away your job? Or bring their whole village here? [laugh]

Yewheng might think otherwise if foreigners are allowed to drive PHV/taxi. And nice polite foreigners.

Why ministars always say must have FT? Becos FTs not allowed to compete for ministars' job. Give me Jacinda from NZ anytime! Better, cheaper. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Yewheng might think otherwise if foreigners are allowed to drive PHV/taxi. And nice polite foreigners.

Why ministars always say must have FT? Becos FTs not allowed to compete for ministars' job. Give me Jacinda from NZ anytime! Better, cheaper. 

Betterer, cheaperer and fasterer to contain any issue...but to run my country? No thanks and no way... My father and forefathers fought so hard to get rid of foreign rule... MLMLWML😁 I'd kena hantum if I meet them in nether world. Late ah gong gave my father a chance but won't gib me chance one😅

Way back during before independent we already got expats. Holland area is one classic example but mainly ang moh lah. When we go industrialize, HK, Taiwanese and Japanese are very common because they set up factories or rent JTC. They in fact have their own various clubs here. Why now we are complaining so much? The influx today is totally out of proportion and they are here to take away valuable jobs we need. Unlike previously, they create jobs for locals. The biggest culprit today is CECA but government keeps defending it although they are like trying to mitigate. Real fast action is required as we see more retrenchments or rather redundancy coming soon. Data like found new jobs are not good.  these 'new jobs' are mostly temporary Distancing Officer, Grab drivers, General workers, etc that are not what those displaced need. 

• Praise 5

21 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I am referring to @macrossszero post.. For this FT take away our job. Actually if LHL already explained it during the long speech in the 1st parliament session and also talk about the free rider. So the answer is yes and no. Yes, they could take away our job due to employers can hire them at cheaper & faster (if that's what you all want to call it). No, it could end up bring in more jobs to locals and more.. Think you guys need to go rewatch the Lhl speech.. He really did explained it all.. 

29 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I am referring to @macrossszero post.. For this FT take away our job. Actually if LHL already explained it during the long speech in the 1st parliament session and also talk about the free rider. So the answer is yes and no. Yes, they could take away our job due to employers can hire them at cheaper & faster (if that's what you all want to call it). No, it could end up bring in more jobs to locals and more.. Think you guys need to go rewatch the Lhl speech.. He really did explained it all.. 

There need to have a balance approach.. If not later no foreign companies want to set up in Singapore.. Then we gg.. 

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

True la, FT issue never ending de and there is also no right or wrong, depend how you see it. Lol.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Macrosszero said:

I don't. But then generally speaking I don't even have time to have more than a few close friends. Which i suspect many busy Singaporeans are also the same. [laugh]

On 9/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Lala81 said:

I find it a bit exaggerated.

Are we disrespecting of these fairly high SES expats? Are they treated worse than the Bangladeshi workers? Are they shown less respect than the coffeeshop cleaner or toilet cleaner here in SG?
JSS is from the govt coffers that is based on the toil of 2-3 generations of Singaporean workers. Obviously the incentive should be to protect Singaporean jobs.

to be honsest ... “expats” are treated as fair as citizen here,  if not even at higher status as many SC dont even dare to speak louder to expats

there is no other country in the world ... seriously ... none ... not even amdk land that everyday shout freedom of speech and democratic that treat expats as “fair” as their citizen

in amdk usa ... they are called ALIEN ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1