2021 Genesis G70

Carbon82

On 11/21/2020 at 9:42 AM, ferrytales said:

not really from another perspective, ppl have means i also need to have as i cannot lose out. ppl buy mercs i also need to buy mercs to be on parc. 

if you been to KMC basement cp, there are actually genesis parked there, probably belongs to the boss of kmc. 

There will always be people who want to own MB, or BMW, etc. But there are always people whose budget are just outside a MB, will they defer their desire to own a luxury car or will they look for a more affordable alternative? There are many people who want to own a luxury car for reasons other than "don't want to lose out" -  for the tech, the quality, the design. That's how Lexus has gained a loyal market share in Singapore. Given that the traditional luxury brands have gone down the value chain into smaller cars, I think that if one were to own anything lower than an S-Class, there is no particular status projection at all. For these reasons, I think Genesis should think about bringing in the G70, GV70, G80 and GV80. The last time they failed because then it was pretty much still tied to the Hyundai/Kia brand, but now it has attained the status of a stand-alone luxury brand. Then also they only had the G80, which is too big a jump and too small a product base to fight with the likes of MB and BMW.  Recently there was a K-pop factor: when a member of BTS bought the GV80, sales surged! All these are little things to add to the change in dynamics at the market place. Just a few of my thoughts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Genesis cars all look pretty sweet, and its something different from MB, BM, AUdi....

Wont be so common on the road... 

However, ive seen the recent issues Hyundai Kia Genesis cars had in korea, from the Kona EV firing up, Recalls left right centre, fingers are crossed...

And i hope they come out with smaller engines too, as i feel lexus is really losing out not producing smaller engines less than 2.0L, like the new mercs with 1.4L turbo and even previous BMW 3 with 318i etc etc. But thats where they will bring in the topic of reliability again... 

Would a dealer bring in Genesis at all? i hope so. But i believe will be tough with those engine choices, unless they bring in hybrid stuff....

Cars in SG are expensive enough. One of my friends in Aussieland just signed for Genesis G80 2021 3.5TT for about 120k+ fully spec... what a beautiful car... 

What a sad life in SG we have 120k cant even get a camry from AD... Sad

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:47 AM, jonbaekis00 said:

Genesis cars all look pretty sweet, and its something different from MB, BM, AUdi....

However, ive seen the recent issues Hyundai Kia Genesis cars had in korea, from the Kona EV firing up, Recalls left right centre, fingers are crossed...

And i hope they come out with smaller engines too, as i feel lexus is really losing out not producing smaller engines less than 2.0L, like the new mercs with 1.4L turbo and even previous BMW 3 with 318i etc etc. But thats where they will bring in the topic of reliability again... 

Would a dealer bring in Genesis at all? i hope so. But i believe will be tough with those engine choices, unless they bring in hybrid stuff....

Cars in SG are expensive enough. One of my friends in Aussieland just signed for Genesis G80 2021 3.5TT for about 120k+ fully spec... what a beautiful car... 

Sad life or not depends on what you prioritize lar bro... big car not the most important priority in life...

• Praise 4

On 12/23/2020 at 12:47 AM, jonbaekis00 said:

IMO, the Mercs with 1.4L turbo is attractive for car buyers. However, after looking at the resale market, I came to my sense that 1.4L turbo chunk out 160hp on a 1.4~1..5 ton vehicle will not provide a spirited drive. Probably, it does give a frugal operating cost on fuel in city drive. 

My personal view, if you want a turbo car, make sure it provides the adrenaline rush when throttle or overtaking. This will definitely satisfy owning the car. If a small turbo car during high demand acceleration unable to provide the push or lethargic to pull away, after sometime (1yr), the owner will curse and give up his once aspiration of the car.

Edited by Tcx607
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 11/20/2020 at 5:27 PM, lcscl0101 said:

Me too. Agree.

To enter a well-established market, a new entrant will always have to swim against the tide. But looking at all the stunning Genesis launches recently and their rave reviews, I think there is a very good chance that it can carve out a market slice in Singapore. Singapore buyers are tired of the MB, BMW, Audi and Lexus that you see everywhere. Where is the luxury status? If international sales figures are good, Singaporeans will come to accept Genesis. I would think that a price point just under the parallel import prices of 3er is a good place to start.

Sadly that is also the problem. Genesis engine choices works against our tax structure. 

Our tax structure is very European friendly. small displacement engine.  

10 hours ago, Tcx607 said:

IMO, the Mercs with 1.4L turbo is attractive for car buyers. However, after looking at the resale market, I came to my sense that 1.4L turbo chunk out 160hp on a 1.4~1..5 ton vehicle will not provide a spirited drive. Probably, it does give a frugal operating cost on fuel in city drive. 

My personal view, if you want a turbo car, make sure it provides the adrenaline rush when throttle or overtaking. This will definitely satisfy owning the car. If a small turbo car during high demand acceleration unable to provide the push or lethargic to pull away, after sometime (1yr), the owner will curse and give up his once aspiration of the car.

Turbo cars got better torque.. in SG torque matters more than hp cause mainly driving in city.. Of course 2.5T beats 2.0T beats 1.4T any day of the week, but when comparing 2.0 NA with 1.4T more people will likely go for 1.4T cause it would probably be more responsive and cost cheaper..

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Lchong said:

Sadly that is also the problem. Genesis engine choices works against our tax structure. 

Our tax structure is very European friendly. small displacement engine.  

You may be right.. Genesis does not have presence in Europe at the moment, probably due to engine choices too..

Let's hope we get to see Genesis cars in SG in not too distant future..

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, teomingern said:

Sad life or not depends on what you prioritize lar bro... big car not the most important priority in life...

Sad when you see your friends overseas what they drive vs what they pay hahahahaah

Friend of mine bought a used Lexus IS350 awd in US.. 8yr old car.. abt 11k USD... 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, Gliazzurra said:

You may be right.. Genesis does not have presence in Europe at the moment, probably due to engine choices too..

Let's hope we get to see Genesis cars in SG in not too distant future..

This thread started with comments about bringing in Genesis as a luxury car and whether it is viable to compete with the established names. I am restricting my comments to this theme. 

In my opinion, to qualify as a luxury car, one should expect a decent-sized engine. A 1.4L engine is meant for certain purposes - fuel economy, lower maintenance costs, maybe manoeuvrability on city streets (probably a smaller car). No badge will make it qualify as a luxury car. In Singapore, because cars are hyper-expensive, big cc's are less common and therefore we simply equate Merc or BMW to luxury, whatever the engine size. As a car enthusiast, I don't agree. In saying this, I am not being snobbish, just pointing out that the label "luxury" should carry a specific significance, namely, something that meets more than a basic need, be it an extra comfortable ride or extra oomph in the throttle.

Our road tax structure matters a lot in the non-luxury segment. But in the luxury segment, I don't see that Genesis is that much out of line with the other established brands. An extra 500cc in engine size translates to $500 p.a. in road tax. It's not going to matter after you have decided to plonk down close to $200,000 or even more on the asset. It seems to me that we are instinctively averse to larger cc's out of sheer habit, but in fact, it is not an affordability issue at all. What matters is this: Is the car a luxury product in quality, reliability and design? And also this: Is the car seen as a luxury product by consumers?

For Hyundai, they have many other cars to satisfy the mass market. They don't need a scaled down Genesis for that purpose. In fact, not having smaller versions is better because Genesis retains the premium perception. I am seeing more and more AMG and M versions of Merc and BMW on the road nowadays. Is there a perception that entry level Merc and BMWs are too common and does not convey the "luxury" cachet? Genesis has a lot of work to do in the area of consumer perception, but I think they at least have a good range of very good products now to make a second attempt - much higher chance of success than the first time.

• Praise 4

On 12/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Tcx607 said:

like that what your suggestion of engine CC with turbo?

11 minutes ago, Contipro said:

like that what your suggestion of engine CC with turbo?

IMO, the Genesis G70 performance specification 2.5L turbo chunk out 300hp is more acceptable with the >1.6 ton weight. This is a luxury category for certain group of drivers.

My personal preference on a turbo car, at least a 2L with 250hp will suffix my hooligan desire. The car must be well balance too rather simply on hp figure. My 2 cents worth 😉

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 30/12/2020 at 9:10 AM, lcscl0101 said:

This thread started with comments about bringing in Genesis as a luxury car and whether it is viable to compete with the established names. I am restricting my comments to this theme. 

In my opinion, to qualify as a luxury car, one should expect a decent-sized engine. A 1.4L engine is meant for certain purposes - fuel economy, lower maintenance costs, maybe manoeuvrability on city streets (probably a smaller car). No badge will make it qualify as a luxury car. In Singapore, because cars are hyper-expensive, big cc's are less common and therefore we simply equate Merc or BMW to luxury, whatever the engine size. As a car enthusiast, I don't agree. In saying this, I am not being snobbish, just pointing out that the label "luxury" should carry a specific significance, namely, something that meets more than a basic need, be it an extra comfortable ride or extra oomph in the throttle.

Our road tax structure matters a lot in the non-luxury segment. But in the luxury segment, I don't see that Genesis is that much out of line with the other established brands. An extra 500cc in engine size translates to $500 p.a. in road tax. It's not going to matter after you have decided to plonk down close to $200,000 or even more on the asset. It seems to me that we are instinctively averse to larger cc's out of sheer habit, but in fact, it is not an affordability issue at all. What matters is this: Is the car a luxury product in quality, reliability and design? And also this: Is the car seen as a luxury product by consumers?

For Hyundai, they have many other cars to satisfy the mass market. They don't need a scaled down Genesis for that purpose. In fact, not having smaller versions is better because Genesis retains the premium perception. I am seeing more and more AMG and M versions of Merc and BMW on the road nowadays. Is there a perception that entry level Merc and BMWs are too common and does not convey the "luxury" cachet? Genesis has a lot of work to do in the area of consumer perception, but I think they at least have a good range of very good products now to make a second attempt - much higher chance of success than the first time.

And yet many of the supposed luxury buyers are the middle class, and are price sensitive.. such buyers go for the lowest end of the luxury brands.. Hence you see so many GLAs CLAs, as well as Q3s, X1s on the road, many of them are the base models..

I certainly hope there's a dealer out there brave enough to bring in Genesis, to offer better product for similar amount of money people spent on low end luxury brands..

On 12/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, lcscl0101 said:

I am seeing more and more AMG and M versions of Merc and BMW on the road nowadays. 

Got many chiong one. If sufficiently bo liao, can check VRN online to see if legit. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, lcscl0101 said:

I have to disagree with you. Some buyers go for Audi A3 1.0 because it’s within the expectations of their pocket n road tax bracket.

The auntie mentality of everything branded is consider a smart choice goes into overdrive when cars are concerned.

from a petrol head reasoning, that’s really a flawed argument.. 

From a marketing prospective, it works.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 2

11 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

I have to disagree with you. Some buyers go for Audi A3 1.0 because it’s within the expectations of their pocket n road tax bracket.

The auntie mentality of everything branded is consider a smart choice goes into overdrive when cars are concerned.

from a petrol head reasoning, that’s really a flawed argument.. 

From a marketing prospective, it works.

I don't see how you either agree or disagree with me. To buy an Audi A3 1.0 because it meets one's needs and budget is a perfectly sensible thing to do. I totally respect that decision. I have nothing against small engine cars and in fact have considered the A3 1.0 before. Yes, you are right, there is the auntie/uncle mentality out there. This video is quite relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mIzElUwpY&ab_channel=CNBC. It tells us that for brand name cars to reach downwards does not always work and can work to the detriment of car manufacturers (and incidentally, it also shows that the auntie mentality is present in other cultures too). I know a friend who was so happy when he bought a CLA, but after a few months, realised that it was not the "luxury car" that he thought he was getting ("ho kua boh ho jia"), got so pissed that he sold it within a year and never wanted to consider Mercedes again.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, lcscl0101 said:

I don't see how you either agree or disagree with me. To buy an Audi A3 1.0 because it meets one's needs and budget is a perfectly sensible thing to do. I totally respect that decision. I have nothing against small engine cars and in fact have considered the A3 1.0 before. Yes, you are right, there is the auntie/uncle mentality out there. This video is quite relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mIzElUwpY&ab_channel=CNBC. It tells us that for brand name cars to reach downwards does not always work and can work to the detriment of car manufacturers (and incidentally, it also shows that the auntie mentality is present in other cultures too). I know a friend who was so happy when he bought a CLA, but after a few months, realised that it was not the "luxury car" that he thought he was getting ("ho kua boh ho jia"), got so pissed that he sold it within a year and never wanted to consider Mercedes again.

I agree with you. I personally do not subscribe to the base model of any badge. If I have to choose a high end Asian car vs a base model of European, I choose high end Asian anytime.

Unfortunately, in the SG market, majority are brand conscious and the strategy works in SG. 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Tcx607 said:

I think best to give the car a test drive on the highway before committing. I agree with u that entry level Mercs do not provide "spirited drive".

But again it depends on which car u r currently driving. I believe a significant portion of entry level Merc buyers tend to come from jap/korean bread and butter non-turbo cars. So to this group of people, yes it drives much better. Also, not everyone places spirited driving high on the list.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1