2021 Genesis G70

Carbon82

On 11/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, lcscl0101 said:

There will always be people who want to own MB, or BMW, etc. But there are always people whose budget are just outside a MB, will they defer their desire to own a luxury car or will they look for a more affordable alternative? There are many people who want to own a luxury car for reasons other than "don't want to lose out" -  for the tech, the quality, the design. That's how Lexus has gained a loyal market share in Singapore. Given that the traditional luxury brands have gone down the value chain into smaller cars, I think that if one were to own anything lower than an S-Class, there is no particular status projection at all. For these reasons, I think Genesis should think about bringing in the G70, GV70, G80 and GV80. The last time they failed because then it was pretty much still tied to the Hyundai/Kia brand, but now it has attained the status of a stand-alone luxury brand. Then also they only had the G80, which is too big a jump and too small a product base to fight with the likes of MB and BMW.  Recently there was a K-pop factor: when a member of BTS bought the GV80, sales surged! All these are little things to add to the change in dynamics at the market place. Just a few of my thoughts.

I have a relative who usually will have at least 2 luxury cars (not entry merc/bmw) + 1 supercar in his driveway. He also changes his cars every 2-3 years.

But the moment he sold his business, he just kept his S500 and bought an Estima for practicality purposes. He no longer need to project the image of a successful businessman (and he's not alone in this). So in that aspect, Genesis, no matter how good they make their cars, it currently lacks the brand recognition that buyers of high end luxury cars (nothing below 7 series or the S class) often seek.

I'm not saying Genesis will never be a real competitor of MB and the likes, it will take time for market perceptions to change, like how Audi really came into the scene back in the 60s.

Edited by Rickster
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

9 minutes ago, teomingern said:

In Singapore, the badge = luxury... never mind the innards of the car actually...

to be exact brand = higher face value and social level 😁

2021 Genesis G70 2.0T AWD Shooting Brake

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_08ed

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_77_0

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_85_0

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_7_09

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_52.j

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_3.jp

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_6.jp

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_2.jp

The new Genesis G70 Shooting Brake is based on the G70 sedan revealed in 2020, combining enhanced practicality with the brand's award-winning design.

The Shooting Brake name refers to a body style firmly rooted in European automotive history and favoured by customers in the premium luxury sector. The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake will offer greater practicality, and will further expand the Genesis line-up to meet customers' needs.

The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake is the same size as the new G70, measuring in at 4,685 mm long, 1,850 mm wide and 1,400 mm tall, with a 2,835 mm wheelbase. Meanwhile, the luggage space is 40 percent larger than the G70 sedan and its rear seats can be split-folded in versatile 4:2:4 format.

Inheriting its design from the new G70 sedan, the Genesis G70 Shooting Brake's signature Crest Grille is set lower than the Quad Lamps, which spread outward to evoke a sprinter's pre-race posture and highlight the model's athletic design.

When viewed from the side, the combination of the single-piece glass hatch extending to the rear, with the floating integral spoiler, communicates the G70 Shooting Brake's athletic intent.

At the rear, luggage space is maximised by moving the tailgate hinges forward. While the Quad Lamps which underpin the Two Lines signature, the epitome of the Genesis brand identity - extend to the surface of the hatch to create a unique impression.

• Praise 9

Looks good. 

But somehow I have issue with the interior design, especially the A/C buttons that look kind of cheapo. 

• Praise 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, Carbon82 said:

2021 Genesis G70 2.0T AWD Shooting Brake

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_08ed

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_77_0

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_85_0

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_7_09

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_52.j

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_3.jp

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_6.jp

genesis_g70_2.0t_awd_shooting_brake_2.jp

The new Genesis G70 Shooting Brake is based on the G70 sedan revealed in 2020, combining enhanced practicality with the brand's award-winning design.

The Shooting Brake name refers to a body style firmly rooted in European automotive history and favoured by customers in the premium luxury sector. The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake will offer greater practicality, and will further expand the Genesis line-up to meet customers' needs.

The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake is the same size as the new G70, measuring in at 4,685 mm long, 1,850 mm wide and 1,400 mm tall, with a 2,835 mm wheelbase. Meanwhile, the luggage space is 40 percent larger than the G70 sedan and its rear seats can be split-folded in versatile 4:2:4 format.

Inheriting its design from the new G70 sedan, the Genesis G70 Shooting Brake's signature Crest Grille is set lower than the Quad Lamps, which spread outward to evoke a sprinter's pre-race posture and highlight the model's athletic design.

When viewed from the side, the combination of the single-piece glass hatch extending to the rear, with the floating integral spoiler, communicates the G70 Shooting Brake's athletic intent.

At the rear, luggage space is maximised by moving the tailgate hinges forward. While the Quad Lamps which underpin the Two Lines signature, the epitome of the Genesis brand identity - extend to the surface of the hatch to create a unique impression.

I think its a clever piece of design to do away with the rear glass after the rear doors, and instead have a large wrap-around tailgate glass. Great effort.

Practically, I think both the over-shoulder visibility and boot space will both be negatively impacted, but well, this is a lifestyle vehicle and looks are all that matters.

20 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I think its a clever piece of design to do away with the rear glass after the rear doors, and instead have a large wrap-around tailgate glass. Great effort.

Practically, I think both the over-shoulder visibility and boot space will both be negatively impacted, but well, this is a lifestyle vehicle and looks are all that matters.

The curved rear windscreen reminds me of the Jensen Interceptor. 

Jensen-Interceptor-Gear-Patrol-LEad-1440

Actually I find the shooting brake more of a hatchback (albeit a large one) than a proper estate and in term of practicality, I second that visibility and boot space will be impacted.

BTW, I am not a fan of long bonnet short body setup, as I felt that every inch of the car should be put to good use. But I have to admit that this shooting brake look quite refreshing and shall stand out among its peers. 

• Praise 8

(edited)

The name "shooting brake" is just being misused. This G70 "shooting brake" as with the Panamera "shooting brake", their design are actually a hatchback design, nothing like a sports wagon design at all. They are being called "shooting brake" is just to sound better than being called a hatchback in this class.

The wagon design of CLA or the previous CLS, are then the design worth calling "shooting brake".

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 2

12 hours ago, Shouyi said:

I recalled reading somewhere that Genesis is re-entering Singapore again ?

I really wish so, but so far no signs they are coming.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, Carbon82 said:

The curved rear windscreen reminds me of the Jensen Interceptor. 

Jensen-Interceptor-Gear-Patrol-LEad-1440

Actually I find the shooting brake more of a hatchback (albeit a large one) than a proper estate and in term of practicality, I second that visibility and boot space will be impacted.

BTW, I am not a fan of long bonnet short body setup, as I felt that every inch of the car should be put to good use. But I have to admit that this shooting brake look quite refreshing and shall stand out among its peers. 

Station wagon for me... sports wagons are more practical and look better proportioned...

Internal Moderator

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Front

Source: https://www.drivesection.com/reviews/2022-genesis-g70-sport-review/

Genesis may still be a bit of an unknown to most in the luxury market, but to those in the know, its performance flagship, the G70 3.3T Sport, presents one of the best deals out there right now.

Since launching the Genesis brand in late 2015, Hyundai has slowly been growing its relatively fledgling luxury arm from what at first appeared to be a somewhat misguided attempt at copying Lexus’ success in the early 1990s at the wrong time into, what is in my opinion, one of the most exciting marques in the industry right now.

With an emphasis on old-school luxury that prioritises fit and finish over unnecessary tech, and with a healthy dose of big-boost performance thrown into the mix, this is a marque making cars that have clear enthusiast appeal. Plus, with the lineup now having grown to include SUVs such as the GV70 and GV80 along with the electric GV60 – as well as keeping cornerstone sedan models like the stunning G80 in the mix as well – the chances are that the marque actually has a shot at success now, allowing them to keep producing some models aimed squarely at enthusiasts.

Models just like the company’s performance flagship you see here – the 2022 G70 3.3T Sport. One of the initial three sedan models the marque launched itself with globally – the others being the original G80, formerly the Hyundai Genesis, and the G90 that has never reached Aussie shores – it might be last-gen next to the rest of Genesis’ lineup now, but it has been given a welcome facelift after four years on the market.

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Rear-

Based underneath on the Kia Stinger, if with a shortened wheelbase, the pre-facelift model, while certainly handsome, did look a bit too much like a tarted up Hyundai due to a lack of any real definitive styling cues. Now, though, thanks to Genesis’ new crest-shaped grille design and two-tiered lighting signature, it actually manages to defy its age and look just as new and fresh as the rest of what the marque is now producing.

Do keep in mind, though, that not all G70s are created equal. While the range starts at $63,000 before on-roads for the base 2.0T which certainly still looks pretty smart, it’s only Sport models – $4000 extra for the 2.0T, but fortunately standard for the $76,000 3.3T tested here – that get the 19-inch dark grey alloy wheels, red Brembo brake calipers (four-piston front and two-piston rear), black grille and dark chrome highlights, rear diffuser, and dual exhaust outlets that really give this thing some real aggressive and athletic flair.

However, sitting inside the G70 is where it’s true age becomes apparent. Where the newer Genesis products feature touchscreen climate controls and glass rotary-dial shifters, the G70 features the same plastic knobs and buttons that do put you in mind of late-2010s Hyundai. Sure, there’s nothing that feels offensive in here, but it does show its age against rivals like the BMW 3 Series that have more crisp and modern cabins.

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Inter

At least material quality beyond those plastics is right up there with the best of them, and this is something that’s fast becoming a Genesis hallmark. Sport models like this already score a suede headliner, ring polished aluminium trim inlays, and front bucket seats with heating and cooling as standard, but if you add on the rather hefty $10,000 Luxury package fitted to my tester, you’ll also nab quilted Nappa leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel and rear seats, and 16-way power adjustment for the driver’s seat as well.

Your $10,000 gets you more than just a few comfort items, though, with it also adding a 12.3-inch digital 3D gauge cluster, a head-up display, a power-operated boot lid, and a 15-speaker Lexicon audio system. If you can justify the extra spend, I’d go for it, as it does do as good a job of bringing the G70 up-to-date as you could hope – although the new 10.25-inch Genesis-specific infotainment system that replaces the old 8.0-inch Hyundai unit does a decent enough job of that alone.

My other criticism of this cabin – as is the case with many sedans in this class – is that while it’s perfectly spacious and comfortable for those up front, there’s not nearly enough room in the back of the thing. One of the duties this G70 saw during my time with it was playing a backup role in a friend’s wedding (congratulations again, Lisa and Matt!) for carting around the groom and two groomsmen, of which I was one, and it’s safe to say that trying to fit even three six-foot-plus blokes in this was a squeeze, so you’ll want to move up to the G80 if adequate rear legroom is a regular requirement.

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Infot

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Gauge

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Inter

But then, it’s clear that the G70 is a car really centred around the driver’s needs as even a quick skim through the spec sheet will attest. While the base engine is a fairly class-competitive 2.0-litre turbocharged four cylinder with 179kW and 353Nm, what this 3.3T Sport is packing is something its rivals could only dream of offering for the money.

The same 3.3-litre twin-turbocharged V6 from the Kia Stinger, it develops 274kW at 6000rpm (up 2kW thanks to a new bi-modal exhaust system) and 510Nm from 1300-4500rpm – enough power to see it rival the likes of the BMW M340i for a staggering $23,900 less when working off base prices.

Backed by an in-house eight-speed torque converter automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive, as with all Australian-spec G70 models, Sport models like this also score a limited-slip differential. Clearly, it’s got all the right gear, as with the aid of launch control, it’ll get from 0-100km/h in a truly brisk 4.7 seconds.

It’s the torque that really makes this engine feel most impressive. It might not be quite as grunty as the 3.5-litre donk being fitted to the new-gen Genesis models, but in this smaller, lighter, and tighter chassis, it packs an impressive enough punch to make it the fastest model in the marque’s arsenal statistically – and that certainly translates when it comes to the seat-of-your-pants feeling it delivers.

Let the boost build up and it just hunkers down and tortures the 255-wide rear Michelins with its constant barrage of twisting force, with what is now a decent-enough soundtrack to match the visceral feeling as it rockets forward. The transmission gets the best out of it as well – its shifts might not be as crisp as the ZF 8HP that still sets the standard, but it’s still a smooth and responsive unit with well-spaced gearing, and you’ll never be left cursing at it for making a misstep.

But what’s really most impressive with the G70 beyond its power is the chassis that manages to handle it. While this class of compact executive sedans is home to some truly impressive rear-wheel drive chassis, such as the Jaguar XE, the G70 truly can go toe-to-toe with the best of them.

The steering feel is substantial and responsive, the control of lateral movement is superb, and thanks to its tight limited-slip diff it’s incredibly easy to get it hanging out sideways with incredible control while it’s there on the limit. Perhaps this ability is uncanny, given how much of a drift missile the Stinger is, but the shorter wheelbase makes the G70 feel even livelier and lighter on its toes than the more deliberate and gradual dynamics of the Kia. Truthfully, it feels how the Stinger should’ve.

Given this is still a luxury car in aim as much as it is a performance flagship, though, the G70 still delivers pretty impressive ride quality despite the chassis’ stiffness. The steering remains light and easy, and the big bent six is a docile and refined power plant when wafting around town as well, so you really do get the best of both worlds here.

To touch on the more practical side of things for a moment, it’s worth mentioning that it shouldn’t be a headache to own in the long run, either. Unlike some luxury marques that have remained resistant to offering a five year warranty, Genesis happily offers one with unlimited mileage coverage in that time, and you score five years of complimentary servicing with it as well.

2022-Genesis-G70-3.3T-Sport-Luxury-Rear-

Factor in that even at $86,000 as tested for this fully-loaded top spec model it remains incredibly good value for money against the competition given the performance and features, there are perhaps only two things I can see being a barrier for entry to buying one.

The first of those is that Genesis currently only has test drive centres in Sydney and Melbourne, so if you’re anywhere else in the country – as even I am in Adelaide – you’ll have to take my word for just how good this thing is. But secondly, and more than just that, the chances are that many people shopping in this category might not even know that this is out there, so low is the Genesis brand awareness among the general public to this day. After all, if you do buy one of these you’ll have to get used to telling people, “no, it’s not a Bentley.”

Us enthusiasts ought to know by now, though, that Hyundai’s luxury arm has a truly compelling product on offer here. It might not fly under the radar and be as universally accepted as a BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, or Merc C-Class, but if you want something that’s more of a conversation piece – or something that only you know about as being the best value performance buy in the class right now – the Genesis absolutely should not be passed up.

This is quite a handsome car. Nicely done Genesis! 

• Praise 3