TikTok owner plans to spend billions in Singapore after US ban

StreetFight3r

Social media companies are more or less the same and they collect your data to give you what you want to see. It is no secret that they collect data and use their AI. Problem is that our laws are slow to adapt to their pace. The lack of regulation(govt), lack of awareness(ppl using the apps), lack of privacy(apps) and the lack of transparency(apps). 

What the US can do is setup regulatory bodies to govern these social media apps. Outright ban ppl will try to go around the law. If they want to be in control then appoint a body to control all they want. Whole day cry ban is not productive and doesnt help the govt at all. Close one door and ppl will open another. Or they can pass a law for the apps to regulate themselves, they just monitor.

India also ban tiktok but open doors to other similar apps like Youtube. It is just shifting marketshare and doesnt solve any problems or spying.

• Praise 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:31 PM, Victor68 said:

They could easily get experts to write the scripts for them to read it. Why they behave this way is simple. Arrogant and bully. They just hope to score points with their people for the votes. Americans like to see heros but they don't really care what they say is right or wrong. No need for logic otherwise it is not the america you see today. 

Yes, they are out there scoring political points.  

Even AOC, against TT ban, is doing it as the young democrats are often users of TT and they may not like a ban of their favorite app by their elected politicians.

But I think most Americans are for it, given mass media on both sides are increasingly anti China (think it is no longer just anti CCP, that ship has sailed) these days.

Edited by Voodooman

On 3/27/2023 at 4:15 PM, yishunite said:

This country's rules is let CCP spy on your data plus censor whoever we order correct? 😆

Just wondering how far we are on making available social media data to big G. 

But i definitely am more comfortable with the due process here than what is available on mainland China plus we don't censor that much as there is self censorship. Wahaha....

On 3/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, Voodooman said:

Yes, they are out there scoring political points.  

Even AOC, against TT ban, is doing it as the young democrats are often users of TT and they may not like a ban of their favorite apps by their elected politicians.

But I think most Americans are for it, given mass media on both sides are increasingly anti China (think it is no longer just anti CCP, that ship has sailed) these days.

The reason AOC is against the ban is America don't have GDPR.

Other than ppl into PRC, most ppl can't differentiate CCP and PRC.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:42 PM, inlinesix said:

I think she is hedging.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:42 PM, inlinesix said:

what's GDPR

On 3/27/2023 at 5:02 PM, Singa said:

has anyone posted yet that Chew Shou Zi  does not allow his children to use TikTok? 😁

my wife friend's work for tiktok but doesn't use the app other than for work lol.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:10 PM, Lala81 said:

what's GDPR

EU General Data Protection Regulation.

Currently, it is the gold standard.

For Privacy Lawyer, it is a nightmare.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, inlinesix said:

EU General Data Protection Regulation.

Currently, it is the gold standard.

For Privacy Lawyer, it is a nightmare.

EU tend to have some policies which benefit the rest of the world.

• Praise 3

On 3/27/2023 at 4:42 PM, Voodooman said:

Just wondering how far we are on making available social media data to big G. 

But i definitely am more comfortable with the due process here than what is available on mainland China plus we don't censor that much as there is self censorship. Wahaha....

Even if private company have all of our data, if they try to do anything with it other than target ads to you that will be the end of them... (just look at all of Facebook scandals) but otoh if CCP get their hands on it you could disappear faster than you can say "Xinjiang holiday camp"

• Haha! 4

AI if don't track how to work I wonder. All these Apps without biz will close shop unless government sponsor and for what? So, if you need privacy or has things you cannot allow others to know, best never use any lor. 

Turbocharged
On 3/27/2023 at 11:30 AM, Victor68 said:

AI if don't track how to work I wonder. All these Apps without biz will close shop unless government sponsor and for what? So, if you need privacy or has things you cannot allow others to know, best never use any lor. 

AI can track all it wants and push ads that it thinks I want, but ultimately as the user, I ignore all those suggestions and still do an open search and make my own decision.

We are the user so it is up to us to decide whether to be lazy and follow the AI suggestion or not.

Believe it or not, I never click directly on suggested ads even if it piques my interest. I'd rather type in the link the old fashioned way [laugh] in a new tab or screen.

Pity those YouTubers, cannot make money out of me.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:59 AM, Sosaria said:

Believe it or not, I never click directly on suggested ads even if it piques my interest. I'd rather type in the link the old fashioned way [laugh] in a new tab or screen.

Pity those YouTubers, cannot make money out of me.

because you are baby boomer lao ah beng ... not their target customer la

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement