How relevant is EV for Singapore in 2020?

Rickster

I recently had a PHEV - the BMW 225 XE as a temporary replacement car. 

While the 225XE is not exactly a 100% electric car, but if you keep the battery charged up, you can technically run on full electric power for about 25km. Was eager to try out how it is like to be living with an EV in Singapore and here are my observations:

1. Driving on pure electric power was weird (like driving around with your engine shut down) in the beginning. But i kinda enjoyed it after awhile, i guess.
  2. Biggest challenge with the short range is...eventually, it will fall back into petrol powered mode and it takes forever to charge the battery up again until you plug-in again.
  3. A domestic power point + the supplied cable is not enough, you'll need a wall box to be installed in order to safely charge the car.
  4. It's a big pain to find places to charge when you're out of the house and run out battery juice. While there are quite a number of charging points, but they're often operated by different service providers (each requires u to become a member + place deposit/min fee etc. etc. to use).
  5. When you eventually find it, you'll end up staring at the grass for the next 2-3 hours waiting for the car to charge up.🤣 
  6. The instant torque of the electric motor + engine is super addictive a total blast when overtaking with 385 Nm of near instant torque !!! 
  7. No one will be willing to wait 2-3 hours for the battery to be fully charged. Not practical for anyone who does not have a charger at home.
  8. Oh ya...  this short, fat and very family looking car does 0-100 in 6.7 sec 😈 ultimate sleeper car!
  9. Long term cost of maintenance is a big question mark.

In conclusion, Singapore's infra is still far from being EV friendly. The most practical way for someone who does not have a home charger to drive an EV...go the PHEV way if you want to experience electric car and yet can fall back to the petrol engine for a decent drive if u run out of juice.

Edited by Rickster
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

even my friends who stay in landed who toyed with the idea of getting a Jaguar E-pace or what. I would tell them it's so damn marfan/slow to charge with a normal wall plug. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I think there sure will be instances when we forget to charge our car, turn on the power switch, properly secure the charging head etc.

Then when u go to your car and try to start it and opps ......🤬🤬🤬

• Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

even my friends who stay in landed who toyed with the idea of getting a Jaguar E-pace or what. I would tell them it's so damn marfan/slow to charge with a normal wall plug. 

I always have this impression that charging a car, it is the same like charging a PMD which might have the risk of explode and fire? [:p]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I think there sure will be instances when we forget to charge our car, turn on the power switch, properly secure the charging head etc.

Then when u go to your car and try to start it and opps ......🤬🤬🤬

unless u have a semi-d/detached with a relatively bigger driveway. Even for the regular terrace owner, it's going to be damn marfan.
many of them have 2 cars in the household. Often which one is parked in the street. Or whoever gets home first get the porch lot.

I have to admit i dislike EV. Especially since this year, the stupid BlueSG took up 4 lots of my MSCP 1st storey lots. [laugh] [furious]

• Haha! 5

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

I always have this impression that charging a car, it is the same like charging a PMD which might have the risk of explode and fire? [:p]

Just watch the few videos of teslas suddenly going up in flames. Not even being charged.

but realistically speaking, there are safety margins built in for these vehicles' battery management systems.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

unless u have a semi-d/detached with a relatively bigger driveway. Even for the regular terrace owner, it's going to be damn marfan.
many of them have 2 cars in the household. Often which one is parked in the street. Or whoever gets home first get the porch lot.

I have to admit i dislike EV. Especially since this year, the stupid BlueSG took up 4 lots of my MSCP 1st storey lots. [laugh] [furious]

Talking about BlueSG, what if u drive to the carpark and wants to return your car there, but all the lots are full?

5 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Talking about BlueSG, what if u drive to the carpark and wants to return your car there, but all the lots are full?

Probably keep renting or go to the next nearest lot for bluesg to park.  Don't think you can park at normal lots..

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Rickster said:

haha no idea. I did think about this. but probably need to return to another location. Maybe they have a indicator, saying how many bays occupied as of now on their app.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Probably keep renting or go to the next nearest lot for bluesg to park.  Don't think you can park at normal lots..

I think to end the renting, the bluesg car must be plug onto a charging point, so if you park at normal lot, the renting charge would continue to clock.

• Shocked 3

20 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Dont know if blueSG really making money or not? Seems like they have expanded quite aggressively. Can see many parking lots have been taken up by them, even those parallel parking lots along the street.

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I think to end the renting, the bluesg car must be plug onto a charging point, so if you park at normal lot, the renting charge would continue to clock.

Maybe that's the whole idea, coz they charge rental by the min/hour 

Not sure if they also factor in distance travelled into the charges.

11 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Dont know if blueSG really making money or not? Seems like they have expanded quite aggressively. Can see many parking lots have been taken up by them, even those parallel parking lots along the street.

Sembcorp is building the charging ports. Haha think zhenghu ask them to build.

Well at least the utility rate seems to be ok. Usually most of the cars are being used during the day. I dunno about the charges but if u stay within a few mins walk of say my MSCP, seems quite reasonable to use it.

But not sure if u all notice. the BlueSG cars hum very loudly. Not as loud as diesel clatter. But can definitely hear one if it's nearby. Haha noise pollution.

Edited by Lala81

3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Maybe that's the whole idea, coz they charge rental by the min/hour 

Not sure if they also factor in distance travelled into the charges.

I guess such car sharing should have factor in the duration and distance travelled de. Cannot be unlimited mileage?!

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I on the other hand, am interested in EV. Other than environment, EV can easily meet higher performance output than their petrol/diesel counterpart. 

But in 2020, still not relevant as our infrastructure is not ready yet. My friend is thinking of installing a charging port in his landed house as he is thinking of getting a pure EV. Was told it will not be expensive. In SG, hybrid will make more sense where the engine is used to charge the battery and the battery powers the motor driving the wheels. Its the best of both worlds. 

Till date, honda e is my fave ev. lol. 😂

he.jpg.ad56104d8e639e8be33e7d37620f1b39.jpg

• Praise 4

51 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Purely household AC power confirm CMI.

1st of all, his home needs 450v 3 phase power supply.  Install wall charger that could be $5k.

If he travels 50km daily, just charge 30mins every 3 days will be more than enough.

↡ Advertisement