How relevant is EV for Singapore in 2020?

Rickster

52 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Sorry but from what I see the charging points are in public buildings where there might be restriction to access or payment to enter.

To make it accessible then have charging points at petrol stations like SPC and things will be different. 

https://www.shell.com.sg/media/2019-media-releases/shell-launches-singapores-first-electric-vehicle-charger-at-service-stations.html

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:54 PM, inlinesix said:

Of course, it is unacceptable to you as you still use it like a petrol car.

If you are unwilling to adapt to it, skip EV.

As cars evolved, the road may also need to evolve so that when the car stop at the traffic lights , it’s wireless charge . Unless we can harness solar energy efficiency with a quantum leap, we will be stuck like the old school dial up phone at home

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

46 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

As cars evolved, the road may also need to evolve so that when the car stop at the traffic lights , it’s wireless charge . Unless we can harness solar energy efficiency with a quantum leap, we will be stuck like the old school dial up phone at home

No need la.  EV has regen brake.

1 hour ago, Dannnn said:

they can make the solar panel on roof to keep it charged. but then knowing the govt, confirm also tax it in a way etc.

Solar panels are not efficient enough currently, there is cloud cover/rain and cars may be parked in buildings. More effective putting solar panels on top of buildings/hdb..

https://www.wired.com/story/solar-power-electric-cars/

20 hours ago, ElectricYouth said:

Solar panels are not efficient enough currently, there is cloud cover/rain and cars may be parked in buildings. More effective putting solar panels on top of buildings/hdb..

https://www.wired.com/story/solar-power-electric-cars/

If solar panels could save about 50% of fuel burnt, then it is still a good implementation , provided it makes economic sense, and the production and disposal of the panels do not create more environmental problems. 

Edited by Ct3833

1 hour ago, Tjkbeluga said:

Ultimate is what if go Stadium, all blue car charging lot full. Siao liao.

I assume most people won’t leave the house with just enough petrol In the tank to get to a popular destination and then despair when 200 other pple do exactly the same thing and everyone starts queueing at the same petrol station...... Singapore very small... not like driving from London to Liverpool/Manchester to watch football...

• Haha! 3

On 9/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, Karoon said:

I have a feeling lta will push for hydrogen fuel cell cars, not e-cars.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/airbus-unveils-concepts-for-hydrogen-powered-plane-13132250

Airbus going to invest in hydrogen powered planes. If airbus hydrogen powered planes proved to be successful.. It could be a game changer as more users will feel hey hydrogen fuel cells car can also be successful in the market too. So let's see whether hydrogen fuel cell cars will start to take off in next 10 yrs. 

On 9/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Joe_X123 said:

No choice for everyone by 2030 as no more fossil fuel car will be allowed to be sold. By 2040, not allowed on the roads anymore.

I punched some numbers in the calculator to see how many chargers need to be installed and this is what I came up with:

SG Car Population: 500,000

Assume average charging frequency of once every 3 days

Assume each charging point has 2 ports and can charge 4 cars (2 in the day time and 2 overnight) = 500,000 cars / 3 days / 4 cars per charge point = 41,666 charge points needed by 2040.

41,666 charge points by 2040 (20 years) means: 41,666 points / 20 years / 365 days = 5.7 charging points

Thus, 5.7 charging points need to be installed, starting from now, every day of the year, for the next 20 years, to meet the infrastructural needs to support an all EV car environment. 

Hope my calculations did not miss anything. Its interesting though.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 5

34 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I punched some numbers in the calculator to see how many chargers need to be installed and this is what I came up with:

Assume each charging point has 2 ports and can charge 4 cars (2 in the day time and 2 overnight) = 500,000 cars / 3 days / 4 cars per charge point = 41,666 charge points needed by 2040.

41,666 charge points by 2040 (20 years) means: 41,666 points / 20 years / 365 days = 5.7 charging points

Thus, 5.7 charging points need to be installed, starting from now, every day of the year, for the next 20 years, to meet the infrastructural needs to support an all EV car environment. 

At the peak, Norway with a population of 6 millions and a much larger landmass than SG was building 9,000 charging facilities a year.

If there is money to be made and the potential players are very deep pocket, SP, Shell, Tesla, etc, it is not difficult to achieve. I think.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/696548/number-of-electric-car-charging-stations-in-norway-by-type/

56 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I didn’t count but the bluesg map looks pretty impressive for a 3yr old company.

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Currently, there are 80 SP Power charging point in operation.

Another about 100 Bluesg charging point 

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, there are 80 SP Power charging point in operation.

Another about 100 Bluesg charging point 

Shell's Greenlots is in more than 50 condo (easily 100 chargers), IIRC, and they are building more DC chargers at various petrol stations (current:10). 

Easily 300 in Singapore. 

↡ Advertisement