How relevant is EV for Singapore in 2020?

Rickster

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

That’s what I heard.

If buy EV, AD may have better lobang.

as far as i know, those 30kW DC will cost around ard 20K before installation

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2

6 hours ago, Sorethum said:

Yes, I've thought of this before!!!

Petrol stations of the future would have capability of swopping batteries quickly.

EV cars with low batt can just drive up to any petrol station, swop to a set of new batteries, then drive off.

Downside is it'll still take a lot of infrastructure change, but more importantly, all EV makers have to adopt such a 'battery swopping' standard, which I'l sure they will not.

Singapore is small. Most pple only do 50km per day, weekends maybe 150km max. Far easier to provide infra to charge overnight.

Battery swaps probably be more suitable for high mileage commercial vehicles?

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

EV is an option but the main obstacle is the high upfront cost given i only do 15-20kkm per year.  I think SG govt is not doing enough to encourage EV due to revenue consideration.

Just curious do you mean cost of installing the charger at home or the cost of the actual EV?

• Haha! 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:05 PM, inlinesix said:

As I said previously, the problem with Singapore is Change.

If don’t intend change end-to-end habit, forget about EV.

For sales ppl, it saves money to buy EV on longer run

Buy car is to save ME time and give me convenience. Not for me to accommodate the car. [laugh]

If you spend $$$ to tie your lifestyle to a material possession, u are really one gong kia [grin]

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, ElectricYouth said:

If you are referring to the electric jags, it’s not the e-pace but the i-pace. 

haha ok. I always get it mixed up. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Buy car is to save ME time and give me convenience. Not for me to accommodate the car. [laugh]

If you spend $$$ to tie your lifestyle to a material possession, u are really one gong kia [grin]

EV requires change of habit to give you the convenience.

25 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

EV requires change of habit to give you the convenience.

No need to bother lah. When autonomous driving is here in 5-10 years time. Just change your habits for that bandwagon.

That is the real game changer. Grab/CDG app + autonomous driving electric cars managed by the companies themselves.
EVs are a business that will put itself out of bizness once autonomous driving comes along.
Small turbos, hybrids for the win in SG while awaiting the above. Whichever version u like, nissan style or honda/toyota style.

Hybrid cars are the best in terms of energy efficiency and cost of implementation.  Electric cars require a lot of subsidies and changes to the infrastructure.

12 hours ago, Lala81 said:

No need to bother lah. When autonomous driving is here in 5-10 years time. Just change your habits for that bandwagon.

That is the real game changer. Grab/CDG app + autonomous driving electric cars managed by the companies themselves.
EVs are a business that will put itself out of bizness once autonomous driving comes along.
Small turbos, hybrids for the win in SG while awaiting the above. Whichever version u like, nissan style or honda/toyota style.

Autonomous driving can be implemented on ICE or EV.

In the meantime, i will hold on to my Mini

20 hours ago, ElectricYouth said:

Singapore is small. Most pple only do 50km per day, weekends maybe 150km max. Far easier to provide infra to charge overnight.

Battery swaps probably be more suitable for high mileage commercial vehicles?

i have a different opinion on this. most of us stay in non-landed properties, making charging infra a big issue. an average ev need to charge 2 times/wk. hence 1 charger can accomodate 3 evs for overnight charging. maybe another 3 during the day. (total 6 evs). talking about hdb block, if each block have 18 evs, and 2-3 blocks share 1 carpark, we will need 9-10 chargers for each carpark. each charger takes 32A for 7kW charging rate, hdb will need another sub-station to provide 320A for a 10-charger installation. now that is expensive. and hdb have around 4,000 carparks. but if we adopt battery swap, then the infra is closer to current petrol station in term of numbers and ev owners waiting time is not much longer than filling up (15-20 mins).

18 hours ago, Lala81 said:

regardless of self drive or car sharing or autonomous driving, ev is the way moving forward. either battery ev or fuel-cell ev. 1) ev is less polluting. 2) ev has must less parts to break down and/or require servicing.

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Hons said:

i have a different opinion on this. most of us stay in non-landed properties, making charging infra a big issue. an average ev need to charge 2 times/wk. hence 1 charger can accomodate 3 evs for overnight charging. maybe another 3 during the day. (total 6 evs). talking about hdb block, if each block have 18 evs, and 2-3 blocks share 1 carpark, we will need 9-10 chargers for each carpark. each charger takes 32A for 7kW charging rate, hdb will need another sub-station to provide 320A for a 10-charger installation. now that is expensive. and hdb have around 4,000 carparks. but if we adopt battery swap, then the infra is closer to current petrol station in term of numbers and ev owners waiting time is not much longer than filling up (15-20 mins).

SP Power is installing the infra now.  From SP Power app, i can see the charging station around me.

IMG_1052.jpg

↡ Advertisement