How relevant is EV for Singapore in 2020?

Rickster

15 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Its more end to end solution.

You drive to work, park and there's a charging point for your ride so that you have sufficient charge to return home. At home, at 10pm, charge till tomorrow sufficient for next day. 

Unless the tech improves and reduces it to 30 mins 3/4 charge or able to provide a way to swap batt on the fly, its still a very immature infrastructure. 

I recall we wanted to push CNG as the next best thing and spend millions of dollars and incentive.

Now where are we with that?

As I said previously, the problem with Singapore is Change.

If don’t intend change end-to-end habit, forget about EV.

For sales ppl, it saves money to buy EV on longer run

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Sorethum said:

This is very true and very relevant.

Other countries can use wind/solar/nuclear to produce electricity.

Here we burn fossil fuels to do so.

So driving EV car just appears 'clean', but the 'dirty' fossil fuel burning still happened - upstream!!

The emissions of Singapore’s electricity generation is taken into account by LTA.

from onemotoring under VES :

If you register an electric or plug-in hybrid car or taxi between 1 July 2017 to 31 December 2020, an emission factor of 0.4g CO2/Wh will be applied to its electricity energy consumption to rate its carbon emission.

9 hours ago, Sorethum said:

For most S'poreans who drive to and fro work, pick up a few kids, and run a few errands every day, should not exceed 200km a day?

So one full charge should be able to last the whole day?

So should be able to come home and charge the car overnight?

So for the majority of condo/HDB dwellers, ideal would be:

Wanna buy EV, call up the power company, SP Group or Geneco or whoever, to activate them to install charging point at your carpark (paid service, of course).

Once installed, you'll have your own charging point for your EV car!

Will such a system work? Feasible?

Installing at carpark will be the best and maybe what govt intends to do. Figuring out the infra of tracking booking/usage/payment is probably the challenge.

maybe bluesg has it figured out.....

• Praise 1

On 9/12/2020 at 11:18 AM, Ganwb79 said:

Don't like EVs, and the PHEV variants. Hybrids mated to ICE still makes sense. Unless they can get charging speeds down to 10 mins which is the time you spend filling up your tank at a gas station. Why should anyone wait 2-3 hours for such a simple thing as powering up your vehicle. It's like going backwards. I can still use my mobile phone while it's charging, can't do that with EVs. 

Exactly what I'm thinking! It's the charge time I find unacceptable.

or unless they make charging so easy like every few car park lots share a single charge point, then we use our own cable plug into the charging point (like a multi point plug) then a few cars can use a single point to charge. Don't have to worry about charging lot being occupied.

2 minutes ago, Rickster said:

or unless they make charging so easy like every few car park lots share a single charge point, then we use our own cable plug into the charging point (like a multi point plug) then a few cars can use a single point to charge. Don't have to worry about charging lot being occupied.

Of course, it is unacceptable to you as you still use it like a petrol car.

If you are unwilling to adapt to it, skip EV.

• Praise 1

On 9/11/2020 at 8:19 PM, Sorethum said:

SG in 2020 totally insufficient infrastructure for EV.

I don't think we'll be ready even in 10 years.

Think of how many MSCP and condo carparks there are around.

The temporary solution in 2020?

Series hybrid car, eg. Nissan E-Power.

Car is driven by an electric motor, so technically is an EV, but no need charging, cos the battery is recharged by an accompanying petrol ICE motor, so actually it's a hybrid!

Apparently Carlos Ghosn, formerly of Nissan/Renault, was a big believer of this technology.

Found in the fugly Serena MPV, and the basic urban crossover, the Kicks.

My 2 cents.

I think the real products to fill in the gap are the plug-in hybrid cars like the BMW 225XE, as they can accept charging using those EV charge points - critical for meaningfully helping govt or business gradually expand the charging networks.

Alternatively, they can also run purely on petrol engine alone to eliminate range anxiety or when the driver can't find a place or no time to charge. They can also charge the batteries up while driving in petrol power.

I think series hybrid cars like the Nissan e power cars only focuses on giving consumers the kick of instant torque from electric motors. Don't think they can charge using those EV points..I may be wrong on this point thought.

Edited by Rickster

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Of course, it is unacceptable to you as you still use it like a petrol car.If you are unwilling to adapt to it, skip EV.

Nothing about adopting to changes here.

In fact, I'm very excited when I got the 225XE as a loan car. However, as its a loan car, makes no sense for me to install a charge box in my home.

So I started this thread to share the experience of driving an EV in Singapore without a charge point at home. 

For most Singaporeans on 2020, it is still not feasible, even of they change their driving habits. Nothing to do with driving it like a petrol or EV.

Unless either the charge time or the proliferation of chare points improve significantly from now, EVs are out of the question for most Singaporeans.

8 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Unless either the charge time or the proliferation of chare points improve significantly from now, EVs are out of the question for most Singaporeans.

You need to take lunch right?  Take lunch time to charge EV lo

There are always way to squeeze time to charge EV.  It is up to you to change your habit.

The problem with Singapore is Change.

P.S. PHEV is to be charged using home plug over night.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You need to take lunch right?  Take lunch time to charge EV lo

There are always way to squeeze time to charge EV.  It is up to you to change your habit.

The problem with Singapore is Change.

P.S. PHEV is to be charged using home plug over night.

That is what I was told also when I collected the car. And when I open up the cable, it looks like those air con type of plug which does not fit into a normal home plug. 

Anyway, love that car to bits I hope they take forever to repair my car. Haha 

• Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Rickster said:

That is what I was told also when I collected the car. And when I open up the cable, it looks like those air con type of plug which does not fit into a normal home plug. 

Anyway, love that car to bits I hope they take forever to repair my car. Haha 

15A plug with round pins? 

3 hours ago, Rickster said:

If the phev had ccs charging , 15mins at a shell/sp rapid charger will provide 45km of range assuming average charge speed around 30kwh

If so, would that be considered acceptable?

of course the best is if all carparks on the island are blanketed with charge points but it will take time to get there. And so early adopters will need to adapt for the ‘inconvenience’.

4 hours ago, ElectricYouth said:

If the phev had ccs charging , 15mins at a shell/sp rapid charger will provide 45km of range assuming average charge speed around 30kwh

If so, would that be considered acceptable?

of course the best is if all carparks on the island are blanketed with charge points but it will take time to get there. And so early adopters will need to adapt for the ‘inconvenience’.

Yes, totally acceptable due to the low number of EVs now. Still easy to find an empty slot.

If more EVs are on the road, petrol kiosks will be obsolete as we will all be charging at home.

40 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Yes, totally acceptable due to the low number of EVs now. Still easy to find an empty slot.

If more EVs are on the road, petrol kiosks will be obsolete as we will all be charging at home.

Petrol station will be converted into restaurant and EV charging station.

By the way, 225XE should have 2 set of cables, home charging and EV charging station 

51 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Petrol station will be converted into restaurant and EV charging station.

By the way, 225XE should have 2 set of cables, home charging and EV charging station 

Maybe the EV charging cable I found is meant for the EV station as it looks like the air con 15 amp plug.

For me if I stay at a landed property I wont use the 13A wall socket to charge. It just takes way too long. 

I think I will get a portable Yanmar diesel generator (high voltage, 190V rated 165A, dry weight about 100kg) to charge it. Haha...much faster, maybe 30mins to full charge. LoL...

Down side maybe the noise and smell from the generator but only run for a while I think it's ok. And cost of the generator. I think $5-6K but hey if you stay at landed and can afford an EV. Compared to Tesla's home battery pack wall charger that cost  a lot more. Maintenance of the generator is quite simple given it's only a single cylinder and not like those turbo diesel engines found in cars.

Have to get the portable fuel storage to go purchase diesel from kiosk. Still need to buy fuel to burn but diesel is cheaper to run than petrol generators. Bottom line it's still down to cost of buying and running an EV.

I'm just thinking of alternate ways to charge the EV faster. Of course everything solution will have its pros and cons. 

Just now, Watwheels said:

For me if I stay at a landed property I wont use the 13A wall socket to charge. It just takes way too long. 

I think I will get a portable Yanmar diesel generator (high voltage, 190V rated 165A, dry weight about 100kg) to charge it. Haha...much faster, maybe 30mins to full charge. LoL...

Down side maybe the noise and smell from the generator but only run for a while I think it's ok. And cost of the generator. I think $5-6K but hey if you stay at landed and can afford an EV. Compared to Tesla's home battery pack wall charger that cost  a lot more. Maintenance of the generator is quite simple given it's only a single cylinder and not like those turbo diesel engines found in cars.

Have to get the portable fuel storage to go purchase diesel from kiosk. Still need to buy fuel to burn but diesel is cheaper to run than petrol generators. Bottom line it's still down to cost of buying and running an EV.

I'm just thinking of alternate ways to charge the EV faster. Of course everything solution will have its pros and cons. 

That's the most stupid idea as it will be no faster than home plug.

What you need at home is 3 phase 30KW DC Home Charger.  

• Praise 1

The generator I mentioned is design for welding application, AC or DC, single or 3 phase, high amp rating. I have seen it onboard ships. It's has a wide range of usage. It's just that nobody has  the confidence to try it on an EV yet. LoL...

↡ Advertisement