Singapore Airlines flights to nowhere from Changi Airport

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://mothership.sg/2020/09/singapore-airlines-flights-to-nowhere/

No destination

The flights will be for domestic passengers and will have no destination.

They will depart from and land in Changi Airport.

Each flight will take about three hours, reported ST.

A spokesman told ST that SIA is considering several initiatives to engage its customers and members of the public.

It is apparently looking to explore a partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board (STB), allowing passengers to partially pay for such flights with tourism credits that will be given out by the government.

2018_11_12_58440_1542019632._large.thumb.jpg.436b46e1ae2f3ad2249a39b7d99c164e.jpg

Finally our very own fly to nowhere flights! How desperate are you to fly again that you'll pay a few hundred bucks just to experience waiting at the boarding gate, getting into an aircraft, having an on board meal, and hearing the announcement from the pilot 'Welcome home (to Singapore)'? Always a nice feeling to touchdown at Changi after a vacation no matter how much I "hated" ending my trip. 

How much will you fork out for flights to nowhere? Before bashing this initiative as a waste of time and money, yes kinda but in such difficult times, think about it, whatever it takes to cut some losses for the airlines, and also provide some relief and hope for our air crew whom have not been able to fly for many months. If you have the spare cash, why not? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

If you have the spare cash, why not? 

How about stop killing the planet with these extra emissions? 

Honestly, no tears will be shed for the passengers if the plane crashes.

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 2

They should call is a "joyride" rather than calling it "flying to no destination or nowhere".

There is a destination, Singapore(depart) fly back to Singapore(destination). Flying to nowhere more or less means bye bye for good.

And for what? You have to get all dressed up in protection suit, can't even have a decent meal onboard, have to share toilets with other passengers(thst's the one common place to easily get infected)...basically it's the airline shouting for help. Ppl dont have to go thru that to help. They can think of other activities to raise funds.

Maybe they could setup an online platform for ppl to order airplane food? Hahaha...LoL... Better packaged for regular dine at home meals. Get pilots and stewardess to deliver the food. Lease a fleet of vans. The pilots be the drivers and stewardess to do the food delivery.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

They can consider including  a roller coaster ride that is more exiting than any of the most exotic ride in the world, and top it up with a zero gravity experience during the ride .

The objective of this initiative is for governmemt to transfer money to SIA to reduce bleeding under the name of tourism .

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

8 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Unique idea 

not really unique cos some countries done that. 

Anyway this helps to get the plane engine warm up after so many months on the ground.

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Unique idea 

Not new. UK already gotten it few years ago. From check in boarding pass all shown "flight to unknown".

Edited by Kopites

Only thing i like when flying is when a middle aisle is empty and i can lay out flat and kun... 3hr flight is the worst lol... only thing to do is sit watch one movie hope dun have to queue for toilet

personally not really bad idea.. at least the pilot retain their currency to fly and the planes get it necessary workout..

If situation with international travel improve they be in a better position to ramp up their readiness..

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

I believe each plane probably only take 30% of the passengers and I can bet many people will be queuing to go up.

Interesting, I was thinking how many would actually fly in this manner but you think otherwise. If the tickets is cheap enough, we might see some queue during the first few flights but the demand will porbably not last for months. 

This concept is completely different from  cruise to nowhere where people are free to walk around  the cruise , enjoy sun and sea, lots of free meals and a whole host of activities. Flying on a plane, most of the time one will have to be tied to the seats with very limited movement throughout the flight, i dont think  many people will enjoy doing it.

• Praise 3

Good idea

They bought millions of dollars of jet fuel right?

This is the best way of getting rid of it.

Just burn it lah.

:grin:

Well if they have to get rid of it and there is no more place to store it

then they should PAY people to fly as we ARE saving them money in the first place!

If a plane is heavier because its full as opposed to an empty plane it uses a LOT more fuel just to take off.

If a plane is now carrying a lot of fuel it will be very heavy and for a heavy plane just to take off it will have to burn a lot of fuel. 

No choice its the law of physics. Light plane take off burn only a little fuel. Heavy plane take off burn a lot lot more fuel and the more fuel you load the heavier the plane will get. The heavier the plane the more fuel it needs to take off.

Now some people who think they are very clever will say then don't need people. Just load the plane with a lot of cargo to make it heavy lah.

What a stupid idea because of the cost. You want to save cost like all companies screaming now - cut cost, cut cost.

You see to load the cargo into the plane you need people and equipment and people and equipment cost a lot of money and airlines don't want to spend the money. They are already losing money.

Some airlines lose a lot of money just on buying fuel they cannot use. I think they call it hedgehog or something like that. I don't understand what they are doing, I think they also don't understand.

So what you want is cargo that cost nothing to load itself and alos very importantly cargo that UNLOADS itself. Save money 2 TIMES.

And the answer is only use SELF loading cargo or SLC.

• Haha! 3

22 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Only thing i like when flying is when a middle aisle is empty and i can lay out flat and kun... 3hr flight is the worst lol... only thing to do is sit watch one movie hope dun have to queue for toilet

You sleep on the aisle?

Please don't lah.

My MIL always needs to go toilet and have to climb over you.

And you don't want to wake up and find her climbing all over you.

Your nice nice sleep will be a nightmare.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2