Singapore Airlines flights to nowhere from Changi Airport

BabyBlade

i imagine no cattle class.  just biz or first or suites.  some people may want to experience that. and the experience should start on the ground, with the lounge access. and duty free shopping needs to be allowed, notwithstanding the short flight. 

but to me there must be a lot of rusty airplanes, rusty pilots, rusty ATC controllers out there. will let others go first : )

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

10 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

How about stop killing the planet with these extra emissions? 

Honestly, no tears will be shed for the passengers if the plane crashes.

totally agree. we keep having going green campaign . yet our own airline doing this.

instead can just let ppl board, and serve food and drink inside? rather then really flying the plane for nothing in the sky

• Praise 2

I don't think people understand the psychology of flying.

You take a flight because you just want to get somewhere.

So its the somewhere you want to be and not the flight.

I put it to you another way.

Say you can fly to Japan in 8 hours or you can fly in just 1 hour same price which would you choose?

Or a more extreme example fly to US in 21 hours or 1 hour same price which would you choose?

Maybe some people will say I want the 8 hour flight to Japan or the 21 hour flight to US then this is the flight to nowhere just for them.

But not many people will want to the take the flight to nowhere.

But I can make this a success as everyone knows I am a marketing genius.

Don't make this a 3 hour flight. Make this a 21 hour flight to nowhere. Really max out the fuel capacity of the plane. Make it exciting but making it maybe or maybe not can get back. 

And tap on the loving son in laws who want to give their MIL a once in a lifetime experience.

And team up with MAS to get their experts on navigation and make it TRULY a flight to NOWHERE.

:grin:

No matter how much it cost we will PAY until it HURTS.

image.png.7a87221ed3203875fdde606e4684793a.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

https://mothership.sg/2020/09/singapore-airlines-flights-to-nowhere/

No destination

The flights will be for domestic passengers and will have no destination.

They will depart from and land in Changi Airport.

Each flight will take about three hours, reported ST.

A spokesman told ST that SIA is considering several initiatives to engage its customers and members of the public.

It is apparently looking to explore a partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board (STB), allowing passengers to partially pay for such flights with tourism credits that will be given out by the government.

2018_11_12_58440_1542019632._large.thumb.jpg.436b46e1ae2f3ad2249a39b7d99c164e.jpg

Finally our very own fly to nowhere flights! How desperate are you to fly again that you'll pay a few hundred bucks just to experience waiting at the boarding gate, getting into an aircraft, having an on board meal, and hearing the announcement from the pilot 'Welcome home (to Singapore)'? Always a nice feeling to touchdown at Changi after a vacation no matter how much I "hated" ending my trip. 

How much will you fork out for flights to nowhere? Before bashing this initiative as a waste of time and money, yes kinda but in such difficult times, think about it, whatever it takes to cut some losses for the airlines, and also provide some relief and hope for our air crew whom have not been able to fly for many months. If you have the spare cash, why not? 

And sitting next to strangers who might have the virus and sneezing away?

Can't wait to be admitted into ICU, is it?

They get the idea from cruise to nowhere, but cruise is v different experience. 

The damm plane, is like a tin. And passengers are just sardines in the tin.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

How about stop killing the planet with these extra emissions? 

Honestly, no tears will be shed for the passengers if the plane crashes.

You can say what you want - "Honestly, no tears will be shed for the passengers if the plane crashes."

But I am definitely still booking for my MIL.

• Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

You can say what you want - "Honestly, no tears will be shed for the passengers if the plane crashes."

But I am definitely still booking for my MIL.

For your MIL, u must book the "flight with no return"

• Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Beregond said:

totally agree. we keep having going green campaign . yet our own airline doing this.

instead can just let ppl board, and serve food and drink inside? rather then really flying the plane for nothing in the sky

Good idea no need to take off.

And to make it more realistic just get a drawing of blue skies and white clouds and past it on the windows.

Can also get some guys to use forklifts and jacks to gently rock the plane like in those simulators like that to give the real life moving experience.

And when its time to serve hot coffee and tea the pilots always jerk the plane up and down and then pretend to announce no hot beverages will be served because of turbulence.

Then the guys on the ground with the jack and forklifts have to rock the plane more violently just like going through turbulence like that.

• Haha! 4

understand that airline need to "work out of the box" 

hearsay, mass travel could only return by 2024/2025 ... 

61108BD7-438D-49C0-B63A-AB4A7F36CF8A.jpeg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Good idea no need to take off.

And to make it more realistic just get a drawing of blue skies and white clouds and past it on the windows.

Can also get some guys to use forklifts and jacks to gently rock the plane like in those simulators like that to give the real life moving experience.

And when its time to serve hot coffee and tea the pilots always jerk the plane up and down and then pretend to announce no hot beverages will be served because of turbulence.

Then the guys on the ground with the jack and forklifts have to rock the plane more violently just like going through turbulence like that.

actually is doable , u see those movie. convert a grounded plane, give them a feeing of flying through thrunder storm, using speaker and effect. with real stewardess assisting u , bababa, can create all type of pattern without really flying

• Haha! 1

To save money we should get the Indian pilots with the dodgy qualifications.

That's the flight I want my MIL on.

I pay more.

:a-happy:

If the pilots that fly my MIL like a drink I will even open my precious Yamazaki 25 and I am very generous when pouring.

z.thumb.jpg.2f97bfb960d267281ab788283efbbc5e.jpg

image.thumb.png.51fbd39ced5ba215cb2e9cdcaef3aaa4.png

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

actually is doable , u see those movie. convert a grounded plane, give them a feeing of flying through thrunder storm, using speaker and effect. with real stewardess assisting u , bababa, can create all type of pattern without really flying

Good idea

Maybe can give the pilot an ang pow to simulate a crash.

Hope to hear my MIL screaming - if I live, I promise never to be bad to my son in law again.

:a-happy:

• Haha! 2

I rather they open up their real flight simulators with everyone given 1 hour of pilot introductory simulator training.  Give their pilots some work to do and not get rusty. 

Pretty sure for this, there will be demand.

• Praise 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53549861

Copied from the bbc article 

---------------------

The Singapore Airlines group has parked 29 aircraft in Alice Springs in Australia, a spokesperson for the airline told me. The Airbus 380 appears to be one of the worst affected fleets.

"The A380 fleet is entering long-term storage due to unprecedented downturn in passenger demand," says Mr Petchenik.

As the pandemic enters its eighth month, many planes have returned to service as airlines begin to fly again.

Nearly 10,000 passenger aircraft were in the skies on 17 July, operating some 34,800 flights.

How Covid-19 will change air travel as we know it

But some 7,600 planes, representing more than a third of the global fleet, are estimated to be still grounded, according to Cirium.

For evidence of how bleak things are still with air travel consider this: Singapore Airlines, one of world's top carriers, is operating only 30 of its group fleet of 220 aircraft, while another 30 of its passenger planes are being used to carry only cargo.

The fate of the planes at the facilities remain uncertain. Some are left to sit there. The final option is to scrap the plane and sell the parts.

Internal Moderator

I personally won't be getting on this flight to nowhere because phobia of flying, what if flight to nowhere really end up as flight to nowhere? Lol. But whatever it takes for the airlines to survive if it even helps a little bit. Let's not be too double standard about doing damage to the planet while blasting our aircons and driving our cars around. Now that at least 95% of flights been grounded we're probably already keeping pollution to a minimal compared to PRE-COVID where we travel for vacations, business trips. Its almost the same as one of the discussion we had regarding eating rabbit meat. Essentially what we're trying to put across here is that it's OK to eat chicken because they're food but it's not OK to eat rabbit meat because they're pets and they're cute. If I'm gonna be outright condemning rabbit meat and other exotic meat, then I better make sure I'm a vegetarian or a vegan.

Its OK for the planes to fly if its to my advantage but now that I don't need the planes to fly because I'm grounded in Singapore due to covid-19, the planes better not fly because they're causing air pollutants. Fact is, once the COVID situation improves, all of us are gonna jump right back on the plane to fly to somewhere and flights to nowhere will stop. I see this as a way of survival for our friends in the airline industry, if it means putting food on their table and less one person getting retrenched. 

• Praise 7

Let me tell everyone the secret of flying that even airlines do not know even today.

I picked up wifey at the airport and asked her how was the flight.

She said she was so tired as soon as the plane took off she was knocked out until the stewardess woke her up for landing.

She said the best flight she every took. Woke up fully refreshed.

So you see the best flight is NO flight. No experience of the flight at all, no experience of the in flight service. The best is NO experience at all.

So airlines should take off and pump sleeping gas into the cabin and knock everyone out.

Then wake them up just before landing.

All the passengers will give them a 5 star rating as they all wake up refreshed and full of energy.

Best flight of their life. They slept like a log.

So you see its not the food, its not the movies, its not the service. They just want a good sleep. Sleeping gas!  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2