Singapore Airlines flights to nowhere from Changi Airport

BabyBlade

11 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Not very environmentally friendly.

If planes don't fly for a long period, there may be similar problems to when your car don't drive for a long period.

↡ Advertisement

10 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I personally won't be getting on this flight to nowhere because phobia of flying, what if flight to nowhere really end up as flight to nowhere? Lol. But whatever it takes for the airlines to survive if it even helps a little bit. Let's not be too double standard about doing damage to the environment while blasting our aircons and driving our cars around. 

The sleeping gas airlines is just for you.

You get on board and strapped in and they switch on the sleeping gas.

They wake you up just before landing and you will have no experience of the flight at all.

:grin:

• Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I personally won't be getting on this flight to nowhere because phobia of flying, what if flight to nowhere really end up as flight to nowhere? Lol. But whatever it takes for the airlines to survive if it even helps a little bit. Let's not be too double standard about doing damage to the environment while blasting our aircons and driving our cars around. 

Actually why do they even need to be flying for real. 

Just use their planes as a theme restaurant la. Shake the plane a bit to simulate take off, cruising, turbulence and landing. The captain can still give announcements, the stewardess can serve meal, on-flight entertainment can be used. 

6-hr, 9-hr, 12-hr; 24-hr packages to simulate short-long haul.

Win-win for all - dun burn excessive fuel (save environment); some job preservation; keep training of air crew; passengers get flight experience (econ; business or first class experience at huge discount); most important zero accident risk

Edited by Alfc
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
4 minutes ago, Alfc said:

Just use their planes as a theme restaurant la. Shake the plane a bit to simulate take off, cruising, turbulence and landing. The captain can still give announcements, the stewardess can serve meal, on-flight entertainment can be used. 

Win-win for all - dun burn excessive fuel (save environment); some job preservation; keep training of air crew; passengers get flight experience (econ; business or first class experience at huge discount); most important zero accident risk

This is also one good idea. I think Thailand came out with something similar. I don't think there'll be many flights to nowhere though. So I'm on the side of the fence where I support the initiative to innovate in troubled times but personally I'm not going to put myself up there to fly to nowhere just because I miss being in an aircraft. To those who can, its their choice. 

18 minutes ago, Vinyl said:

If planes don't fly for a long period, there may be similar problems to when your car don't drive for a long period.

Ok noted. How about scrapping them? If I don't drive my car for a long time I will sell or scrap them.

Or just sending them in for maintenance like what I did for all my cars?

Edited by Weez911

49 minutes ago, Alfc said:

the whole idea is to get the plane on the air

restart the flying ... run through the processes ... develop new protocols for “new norms” ... not running simulation ... 

need to give confidence to public to fly again ... once a few countries open border ... then can slowly restart flying

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

I better make sure I'm a vegetarian or a vegan.

Actually going vegetarian or a vegan is really good for health

But don't have to be every meal maybe just 2 or 3 times a week.

Beer and chips is actually 100% vegan but don't just settle for a tiger and a packet of jack and jill.

Really spoil yourself rotten with Belgium pomme frits and a really good Belgium beer.

[flowerface]

image.thumb.png.142e6e2e4535646578536031be4c1743.png

image.thumb.png.be9191e16bf1e7d573e447b233322e7f.png

image.png.764c7826b48b803a343ed1eda553f2e6.png 

Edited by Jamesc

12 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Not very environmentally friendly.

Yeah, just burning fuel for the sake of burning fuel.

You can all just drive around the island 10 times, burn some fuel and call it a day.

• Praise 1

Wow, all the risk of COVID-19, all the risk of crashing on takeoff and landing (and those are the most risky all the hassle of boarding and none of the anticipation of a foreign destination. Where do I sign up? 🙄

This will work only if they allow things on-board that you can't get on the ground like gambling or...um... stripping Singapore gals. 😂

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

Ok noted. How about scrapping them? If I don't drive my car for a long time I will sell or scrap them.

Or just sending them in for maintenance like what I did for all my cars?

You can't scrape unless you think that air travel is gonna die off totally. If it's your private jet, fine.  Scrap it.  But a national airline? If its scrapped, it means at national level its decided there is no need for a national airline anymore.

Send for maintenance?  I think not really workable.  For cars, you drive to the workshop so you do keep current your driving skills.  Workshop? I dont think the planes are flown to the hangar (since they are already at changi).

Yes, I agree with @BabyBlade.  Let's not be double standard to say they are burning fuel while we blast our aircon and drive.  Heck its even double standard to take MRT when you can WFH cos you are consuming unnecessary resources.  So let's not go there.

Personally I think it's a good idea if there is demand.  What about having a restaurant or something but the plane doesnt fly? I think it's also important to fly the plane to keep the pilot's skills current.  A simulator can only do so much.

Actually I was thinking why don't we fly to other countries as well? Let's say we fly to KLIA.  The plane lands at KLIA.  The passengers can only shop in a certain cordoned off area in KLIA.  They dont leave immigration.  They just shop in a specific transit area for let's say a few hours before flying back.  Any spread of virus can easily be controlled cos passengers can only shop in a small area and if you have only a few planes a day, the crowd would be manageable as well.  This will benefit both countries.

Just need to work out something with Malaysia or any country that wants to try out this to rebuild confidence in international travel. 

My two cents.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

If I'm gonna be outright condemning rabbit meat and other exotic meat, then I better make sure I'm a vegetarian or a vegan.

I heard a joke.  

If you love animals so much, why do you eat their food? :D

14 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

You can't scrape unless you think that air travel is gonna die off totally. If it's your private jet, fine.  Scrap it.  But a national airline? If its scrapped, it means at national level its decided there is no need for a national airline anymore.

Send for maintenance?  I think not really workable.  For cars, you drive to the workshop so you do keep current your driving skills.  Workshop? I dont think the planes are flown to the hangar (since they are already at changi).

Yes, I agree with @BabyBlade.  Let's not be double standard to say they are burning fuel while we blast our aircon and drive.  Heck its even double standard to take MRT when you can WFH cos you are consuming unnecessary resources.  So let's not go there.

Personally I think it's a good idea if there is demand.  What about having a restaurant or something but the plane doesnt fly? I think it's also important to fly the plane to keep the pilot's skills current.  A simulator can only do so much.

Actually I was thinking why don't we fly to other countries as well? Let's say we fly to KLIA.  The plane lands at KLIA.  The passengers can only shop in a certain cordoned off area in KLIA.  They dont leave immigration.  They just shop in a specific transit area for let's say a few hours before flying back.  Any spread of virus can easily be controlled cos passengers can only shop in a small area and if you have only a few planes a day, the crowd would be manageable as well.  This will benefit both countries.

Just need to work out something with Malaysia or any country that wants to try out this to rebuild confidence in international travel. 

My two cents.

My point is, it is rubbish to compare car and plane.

• Praise 1

SIA can tie up with the staycation providers and local tour providers to provide the holiday experience. A flight to Singapore from Singapore, limo ride to hotel, a good meal and then a local tour experience.

3 hours ago, Wt_know said:

only good for Biz and First/Suite class experience

go fly eco for fck ? 

I fly eco class ; come back I get 2 week stay in hotel here 🤣

• Haha! 2

for this to work, SQ has to think out of the box on the experience, eg

- Book The Cook for all meals

- bonus KF miles

- duty free tie ups

- local shopping / dining tie ups

same old same old promo programs will not work.

↡ Advertisement